You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

France like Holland have had their plans messed up by their governments. Not saying I necessarilly disagree with their governments because public health comes first. However, UEFA are puting unnecessary pressure on nations to make decisions with a view to moving things on for next season.

I just can't see for the life of me why they can't sort this season out and then figure out in the coming months what next season will be like. 

French fella on twitter made a good point that come August PSG or Lyon could theoretically be playing against clubs in the Champions League that have been hard at it for several weeks. Incredibly unfair that. Uefa extending their plans by 6-8 weeks could move things.

The PL could have taken a lot of the heat out of this by declaring that if the season is curtailed then obviously Liverpool will be declared champions in view of the huge existing lead.  Hopefully they will do that after Friday's meeting. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aws said:

The PL could have taken a lot of the heat out of this by declaring that if the season is curtailed then obviously Liverpool will be declared champions in view of the huge existing lead.  Hopefully they will do that after Friday's meeting. 

Yep - any/all outcomes should be agreed upon now.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Wont PSG kick off as they are through to the CL quarter finals?. I doubt their owners will be happy considering they are desperate to win that trophy.

Edit, just seen your post Ronnie Whelan.

Yeah things like this are poor form by UEFA. I mean I can't stand PSG's owners and I hate the owner of Lyon, but incredibly unfair that some leagues could play out and have match fit teams and others could be knackered after 30 minutes if they enter European football in August.

Now that it isn't conceivable that French teams can fairly play, I think there is a decent chance that UEFA look to complete their competitions in September, especially if one or more of the other big leagues can't return as scheduled in June.

Miguel Delaney made a point our government seem to want football back - maybe to get the masses off their backs for how fucking inept they are.

I’d be surprised if football comes back in June but I think as regards rightly awarding us the title is the easier decision despite what the gobshites on Twitter say as when it comes to a vote I can’t see too many clubs voting against us being champions, And which seems to have been forgotten is that Uefa have said leagues can’t be voided so the table has to be either PPG or current standings for sporting integrity 

The other issues like relegation and promotion are the tricky ones 

10 minutes ago, aws said:

It's not been far off that tbf from the few official meetings. 

Voiding comes from people getting their knickers in a twist by rival fans and pundits chatting shite on a daily basis. 

There's no danger of us not winning the league but sadly all the joy has been and gone, ain't much more to say. 

6 minutes ago, aws said:

According to 'rumour,' at the last PL meeting Peter Moore was met with an 'awkward silence' when he talked about being positive and ending the season.

Of course that could be bullshit because we've also heard rumour the PL has no appetite to deny Liverpool the title.

But I now wouldnt be surprised after this French news plus UEFA now supposedly imposing a 25 May deadline for PL plans how to finish the season and a 2 August deadline for completing it, that the only talk is about ending the league.

If Liverpool do get shafted by clubs like west ham and one or two others, it should serve as a wake up call to the club and fuck this collective PL shit off once and for all. If now isnt the time for 'collective' PL action then, I hope the club looks after itself in the future. And if that makes the shitness of modern football thread, so be it.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah things like this are poor form by UEFA. I mean I can't stand PSG's owners and I hate the owner of Lyon, but incredibly unfair that some leagues could play out and have match fit teams and others could be knackered after 30 minutes if they enter European football in August.

Now that it isn't conceivable that French teams can fairly play, I think there is a decent chance that UEFA look to complete their competitions in September, especially if one or more of the other big leagues can't return as scheduled in June.

Miguel Delaney made a point our government seem to want football back - maybe to get the masses off their backs for how fucking inept they are.

UEFA want this mini world cup style play off to complete the Champions and Europa Leagues in late August. This is why the cunts are imposing a season ending date of 2 August for domestic league. Mustnt have domestic league interfering with their footbal spectacle, can we?

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

According to 'rumour,' at the last PL meeting Peter Moore was met with an 'awkward silence' when he talked about being positive and ending the season.

Of course that could be bullshit because we've also heard rumour the PL has no appetite to deny Liverpool the title.

But I now wouldnt be surprised after this French news plus UEFA now supposedly imposing a 25 May deadline for PL plans how to finish the season and a 2 August deadline for completing it, that the only talk is about ending the league.

If Liverpool do get shafted by clubs like west ham and one or two others, it should serve as a wake up call to the club and fuck this collective PL shit off once and for all. If now isnt the time for 'collective' PL action then, I hope the club looks after itself in the future. And if that makes the shitness of modern football thread, so be it.

Time to fuck the Premier League off completely and have a proper clash of the titans Super League without the concern of promotion / relegation and without having to accommodate small time clubs.

Will a lot of football clubs go to the wall / have to compete on a much smaller scale with SPL money in the ‘revised’ Premier League?

Yes, but people’s lives are at stake here so they can’t complain. There are bigger things than football, after all.

6 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Time to fuck the Premier League off completely and have a proper clash of the titans Super League without the concern of promotion / relegation and without having to accommodate small time clubs.

Will a lot of football clubs go to the wall / have to compete on a much smaller scale with SPL money in the ‘revised’ Premier League?

Yes, but people’s lives are at stake here so they can’t complain. There are bigger things than football, after all.

That's what I mean, sometime ago there was talk by UEFA of keeping certain clubs in the CL irrespective of where they finished in their domestic league. Im not clear what our stance was but I hope we start pushing for this when it is next discussed.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That's what I mean, sometime ago there was talk by UEFA of keeping certain clubs in the CL irrespective of where they finished in their domestic league. Im noot clear what our stance was but I hope we start pushing for this when it is next discussed.

They have already done that for us pal.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

That's what I mean, sometime ago there was talk by UEFA of keeping certain clubs in the CL irrespective of where they finished in their domestic league. Im noot clear what our stance was but I hope we start pushing for this when it is next discussed.

Yep. I’m sure some affected fans will have a moan, but if there’s a life saved by not resuming too early, that’s enough. Clearly the only people who should be dying at this time are key workers and their families.

Supporters of the clubs wiped from existence / reduced to small-time riff raff can simply pick a new one and go again, backing them to the hilt. It might be the only way!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Wouldn’t mind if all the void nonces caught the virus itself. Maybe they may not revel it in as much.

Oh their will be Everton/City/Utd/Chelsea fans etc at Anfield next season who will have lost close family members still singing about it to try and wind us up. Vile fucking rats 

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA want this mini world cup style play off to complete the Champions and Europa Leagues in late August. This is why the cunts are imposing a season ending date of 2 August for domestic league. Mustnt have domestic league interfering with their footbal spectacle, can we?

Yeah incredible that. Whatever about before but now you could have a farcical situation where some clubs are playing 2nd legs and getting smashed - wouldn't fancy PSG against Dortmund for example. Sporting integrity my arse.

Raphael Honingstein said there are three options available and all have PSG as champion. It appears they are likely to go the ppg route. Whether they alter relegation/promotion is anyones's guess. Voiding off the table there seemingly. To be fair, even the head of the Dutch FA said it would be hard to deny Liverpool the title - it seemed to be his way of justifying their decision.

I heard 4 premier league clubs could go under in the coming weeks. Haven't a clue who they are but hearing stuff like that make me still think they will find a way to complete it. If not, I think we get it on ppg.

The parade last year was one of the best days of my life. I dreamt of what this season was going to look like, but once we all stay safe on here that is the main thing and number 19 will be sweet in an understated way.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think he means indefinitely. Might (one, very distant day away) be unfair on West Ham and their ilk, but tough decisions and all. 

I am not sure changes in the current qualification for the Champions League in any way would have a negative effect West Ham or their ilk.

If you mean a stand alone breakaway league that is different.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am not sure changes in the current qualification for the Champions League in any way would have a negative effect West Ham or their ilk.

If you mean a stand alone breakaway league that is different.

I was initially talking about a breakaway league, but I believe there was also a rumour a few years ago of UEFA awarding perpetual automatic qualification to certain key clubs in order to maximise prestige and income.