You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Even today on that BBC vote for the greatest ever manager, it had Howard Kendall but mentioned that he grew frustrated that English clubs weren't in Europe so he left Everton. He left Everton to go to Bilbao for more money and Bilbao weren't exactly a European super power and they had not qualified for Europe the year he joined them.

7 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

The "peoples forum" have spoken, do the right thing Redmen

• Liverpool FC have an opportunity to make a huge moral statement..
...and lead the calls for the season to be abandoned out of respect for the 20k+ who have lost their lives due to Covid-19. 

They have a fantastic team, they’ll obviously be back competing next year quite probably winning it, wouldn’t it be great to see them make the ultimate sacrifice and earn huge respect for doing it. 

It’s not as if the current league table and a record of their superb season is suddenly going to be erased from the history books. Everyone knows they were the best team by far and Champions in all but name. 

It would obviously be tough on teams missing out on promotion and a lucky reprieve for teams in danger of relegation but it wouldn’t be the first time a team has been on the wrong end of an injustice, whether it be handballs denying qualification for international tournaments, rioting fans denying teams a shot at the European Cup and quite possibly setting the team in question on a trajectory from which they never recovered, the outbreak of the Second World War leading to the abandonment of the season after three games was no doubt unfortunate for whoever were the title favourites at the time, clubs being taken over by chicken factory owners and ending up ruined, well the list is endless. 

Football is full of historical unfairness and nobody could have reasonably expected a pandemic (well apart from the scientists who’ve been warning about this for years, but never mind) so you know, get over it etc

That makes no sense what if rest of league play on ? although we could actually not kick a ball and put feet up watch rest duke it out and still win the league

3 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

If Liverpool came out and said that the league should be voided in respect of the deaths due to Covid 19, Blueshite knobheads would then acuse Liverpool of making it all about them.

The irony is sad, bitter Evertonians make everything Liverpool does about them.

I am old enough to have waited 30 years to see Liverpool win the title again. I was a ST holder until 2007, when I moved to Brasil and I still miss going to Anfield more than anything else about England. 

BUT, 

I am strangely relaxed about the whole thing, at least for the moment. 

One of my wife's best friend's father is in intensive care with Covid 19. 

Two of my best friend's partners in England are working as nurses in intensive care

I have just had my salary cut 

My wife, who is a freelance producer, has lost her two biggest jobs of the year, the Olympics and the Copa America. 

With that, we have no idea how to pay our kids school next year. 

Funnily enough, there ARE more important things in life.

We KNOW we are the best team in England. Yes, I want the trophy, I want the entry in the record books, I want number 19. BUT, if other fans want to have a laugh at our expense because our utter superiority was not rewarded with a shiny trophy at the end, if that is what gets them off, let them. Doesn't change the fact that we are the best team and doesn't change the fact that they all know that as well. 

Fuck them. 

Keep safe, keep your kids safe, watch the highlights of the season and marvel at the brilliant team we have the joy of watching.  

• Upvote 5

Nobody else will give a shit about our superiority just the fact we never got the title. We, the ones who give a fuck will only be happy if we get it. I’m not speaking for everyone of course. In the scheme of what is happening it is meaningless but will voiding the season be the answer, I think most who support Liverpool will say no. Finish it. It makes no sense to start another season when the Pandemic is still here and a Second Wave likely. 

For me, the restarting of various leagues isn't the issue. The big question is what happens when a few players conveniently/inconveniently get infected days into the restart? What's the contingency plan? Does the season then pause again at that point?  I think if that happens, then the season would definitely get curtailed because that's when the calls for null and void would get loudest.

So they really need to be clear upfront about what would happen if players get infected after the restart.

1 minute ago, Supremolad said:

For me, the restarting of various leagues isn't the issue. The big question is what happens when a few players conveniently/inconveniently get infected days into the restart? What's the contingency plan? Does the season then pause again at that point?  I think if that happens, then the season would definitely get curtailed because that's when the calls for null and void would get loudest.

So they really need to be clear upfront about what would happen if players get infected after the restart.

If every team agrees to a restart then a single case in the side should be like an injury - the fella is not available until he tests clean. Rio Ferdinand will know about that.

Football is not fucking meaningless or unimportant as people keep reeling out. It’s one of the most important things in the world to me and it has brought me some of my greatest ever memories and experiences. We post on a forum dedicated to our football club, I absolutely despise this righteousness Indignation. Fuck the cunts calling for void, fucking middle earth bellends, this whole situation just reaffirms us as the biggest club in the country, every single one of them is obsessed with us, the pathetic cunts. I cannot wait until we have that trophy, whether the games happen or we’re awarded it. I hope the cunts choke on their asterisk.

• Upvote 4

I'd like to think that the current lockdown won't need to continue for another 12 weeks. 

The Premier League have said that the remaining fixtures can be completed behind closed doors in the space of 40 days.  UEFA have said they want all leagues completed by the end of August.  I don't see why a mid-July restart would be unlikely. 

If the league can't be completed, the idea of voiding it - with no promotion, no relegation, no European qualification - is clearly the worst option.  Nobheads advocating it do so for one reason only: they're obsessed about us.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If the league can't be completed, the idea of voiding it - with no promotion, no relegation, no European qualification - is clearly the worst option.  Nobheads advocating it do so for one reason only: they're obsessed about us.

What do you think happens if we win two games and the season gets stopped again before the rest of the games are completed? Relegation and CL places are far more likely to go to the final matches.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

This is gonna be such a clusterfuck if it happens, this reopening. Hope people are ready for the "sport shouldn't be played while people are dying" hot takes. 

I wonder how many of the same fuckers will have been queuing outside B&Q the second they got wind of it reopening?

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If every team agrees to a restart then a single case in the side should be like an injury - the fella is not available until he tests clean. Rio Ferdinand will know about that.

Yeah, that's a feasible solution. The problem is if someone tests positive, the current medical advice is that everyone they have been in contact with, in the days leading up to their test must self isolate for 2 weeks.

And in this case, that would include the infected player's teammates, managers and/or opponents. All of them having to self isolate for 2 weeks whether they show symptoms or not. So unless those medical guidelines are relaxed, it is something which has the potential of fucking up the season restart.

30 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Yeah, that's a feasible solution. The problem is if someone tests positive, the current medical advice is that everyone they have been in contact with, in the days leading up to their test must self isolate for 2 weeks.

And in this case, that would include the infected player's teammates, managers and/or opponents. All of them having to self isolate for 2 weeks whether they show symptoms or not. So unless those medical guidelines are relaxed, it is something which has the potential of fucking up the season restart.

I think the idea is that they will be testing the whole squad everyday or at least very often.  They wouldn’t need to isolate if they were negative.

Manc and everton fans modus tollens example:

Football, must only be played with fans present in stadiums.

Due to current circumstances, this season cannot be completed with fans in stadiums so must be ended.

Next season, although circumstances havent changed, can and must start without fans in stadiums.

In other words, their logic is fucking seriously flawed!

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

Are these medical guidlines just for football or for everyone? What would happen in a supermarket if one of the checkout staff got infected? Does the whole store need to close for two weeks?

46 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Are these medical guidlines just for football or for everyone? What would happen in a supermarket if one of the checkout staff got infected? Does the whole store need to close for two weeks?

A lot of the brigade that want the season voided, are the very same ones who will be rushing back to their painting and decorating businesses or their construction firms looking to make money, or hitting the shops with their families when the restrictions are eased. They also seem to think next season will miraculously return as normal in August.

Thankfully in our case, the owners of football clubs are greedy bastards who don't want to bankrupt their clubs and want to finish the season. The league has a product that has to be played out. Some owners like old Bill or the Brighton fella might be genuinely sound, but most are thinking of the wonga rather than the decency of finishing the season.

I've got no problem with someone saying "You are our rivals, I want it void so you don't win the league because it will wind you lot up!". No problem at all. Football is about rivalry. trying to mask your jealousy/bitterness by coming out with stuff intended to show you have morals and we don't is just tory behaviour. 

Everton fans forget they have a good chance of Europe this season. If they miss out on Europe again next season (assuming they don't get it from this one if complete) and they won't have Ancelotti. They will also suffer quite heavily financially if this season is voided. Try getting the through to their thick fucking heads. 

The Dutch Eredivisie could 'reverse the decision' to cancel this season as there is a mounting threat of legal action posed by furious clubs. 

Last week, Holland's top flight announced that the season was cancelled with no winner declared and no teams to be relegated from the top flight due to the coronavirus crisis. 

There was a predictably outraged response from some teams, such as Cambuur, who are 11 points clear in the second tier and seemingly destined for promotion to the Eredivisie. 

Alan Pardew's Den Haag breathed a sigh of relief as they were second-bottom and fighting for survival while Ajax and AZ Alkmaar were frustrated as they were denied the chance to become champions with both level on point at the summit. 

Dutch football has been hit hard by the Covid-19 crisis and the KNVB is also expected to ask the government for £350million to help Dutch football survive the financial losses incurred. . 

But it seems there is growing clamour for the cancellation decision to change and Dutch politician Mark Boumans said: 'I even think it can be reversed. My conclusion is that if half of the clubs plus one want to reverse the outcome of this week's chaotic decision-making, then that is possible.' 

His optimism will give hope to Cambuur, and the club's general manager Ard de Graaf said 'incomprehension' at the decision has only increased. 

A simulated version of the remainder of the season was conducted 10,000 times by a computer and Cambuuur were calculated to have a 99.5 per cent chance of promotion.   

According to AD, there are legitimate legal grounds for a challenge. De Graaf added: 'A child can see that there are legal brackets here. We have set out our first actions.'  

Marjan Olfers, a professor of sports law told the Dutch publication that successful legal action 'is indeed possible but will not be easy or fast.

Another club angered by the decision is Utrecht, who were denied a place in the Europa League despite having played a game less than Willem II and boasting superior goal difference. 

The club's owner confirmed he has already hired lawyers and said: 'We are going to do everything we can to get us right.'

Clubs were afforded a vote to decide the outcome of the campaign, with 16 choosing to enable promotion and relegation for the Eredivisie.

However, a further nine sides voted against their competitors being allowed to move into different leagues, with nine more abstaining from the vote entirely and believing that the Dutch FA should decide.

The KNVB then ultimately opted to ensure that clubs will remain in their current divisions for when football does resume in the country. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8260709/Hollands-Eredivisie-REVERSE-decision-cancel-season-amid-growing-legal-action.html