You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Thanks for the article but it doesnt really tell us anything we dont already know.

The plain fact of the matter is whether Governments of football authorities like it or not, the lockdown is ending by default. You can see loads of people going back to work, loads of people queuing to buy a fucking burger, buy some gardening equipment at B&Q, riding their bikes, running and sunbathing in parks.

People want to crack on with their lives and try and get a semblance of normality going again. People arent going to stay in lockdown for another month never mind 3, 4, 5, 6 or more.

Speak to 10 different experts and you get 10 different answers on the virus, it's survival and death rate, at risk groups or whether it blows itself out in 70 days or not.

‘ Void the season it’s the only fair way ‘ 

Who qualifies for European Competition in a new season? 

The ones who qualified in the last campaign?

The ones in position now if the season is voided? Hardly fair seeing we cannot be named Champions is it. Whole new can of worms here.

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

I’m still of the view that regardless of what any cunt tells us we just write 19 on the wall and go from there.  I couldn’t give a shit what anyone else thinks.  If we recognise it as 19 that it’s 19.

Sure if we’re going to do that then we may as well stick up 7 on the CL section because I think Ramos shafted us out of a CL two seasons ago. 

It’s only number 19 if it’s official. It’d be pure Everton to go around bleating we won it if it wasn’t official. 

• Upvote 1

The Dutch FA decision isn't logical, and will cause massive damage to them.

Starting a new season will not guarantee it finishes without another problem.  That's the first and most obvious logical deficiency in their plan. 

More importantly, football without jeopardy will fast become a sport of little interest to people.  Basically a set of friendlies, being charged at premium rates by tv channels, and eventually on the turnstiles. 

The Dutch FA need to protect what they currently have, which is a high-quality professional league with a competetive spirit.  If they lose the competetive spirit, if they lose the feeling of suspense and drama, then they lose everything. 

The big leagues need to stick together on this.   Players want to win things.  The best players will not sign for clubs in leagues where there is a chance that your hard work means nothing.

Christ, imagine scrapping this season and starting a new one.  The confusion will be palpable. You can't put this genie back in the bottle. 

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

What are you basing this on?

5 weeks of couped-up anxiety and paranoia and a sense of dread. 

If they cancel the league, I hope every fan returns their seasons tickets and asks for a refund.  

Will PL player statistics remain valid from what they did this season? 

Maybe I'll make a claim to get all my bets back off the bookies, seeing as the games I bet on never took place. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, redheart said:

I have a nasty feeling that Null and Void is going to happen.

It will forever cheapen the league though

Why?

I think everyone is forgetting it was only Thursday that Uefa said void was off the table . I think the Uefa decision was easy to call as they were both level on points and even PPG wouldn’t t have altered it.

The time to panic is if another league does the same as the Dutch FA even though another club is top with a lead. 
Up to now Belgium and probably Scotland are the only two who have decided to wrap up in their leagues in a way that would suit us and rewarded the team at the top .
Still going to be a nervous few weeks till we have an idea whether football returns or not 

4 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Up to now Belgium and probably Scotland are the only two who have decided to wrap up in their leagues in a way that would suit us and rewarded the team at the top .

My understanding was that Scotland have made no decision on the SPL?

It's only the divisions below it.

9 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

My understanding was that Scotland have made no decision on the SPL?

It's only the divisions below it.

I think he means the Scottish League administrators have been granted authority by the clubs to end their top flight if no way to finish the season can be found.

I know Mane has but I’d love the club (Klopp) to come out and say what will be will be. Void it if necessary, we aren’t going anywhere and rest assured we win it next year. 

Then we go and batter everyone into a pulp and win next season. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

5 weeks of couped-up anxiety and paranoia and a sense of dread. 

If they cancel the league, I hope every fan returns their seasons tickets and asks for a refund.  

Will PL player statistics remain valid from what they did this season? 

Maybe I'll make a claim to get all my bets back off the bookies, seeing as the games I bet on never took place. 

To be honest, if they do 'void' it and do not give us the title, I will have to give serious consideration to continuing with my seassie. Whether I do give it up is a serious matter. But, yeah, there's more important things than football but really, what would be the fucking point?

Since we last won the title, Ive seen two mega rich cunts come along and buy the league what, clocking on not far off 10 times. If and it's a big if in my opinion, Newcastle's owners do the same thing, Id rather spend my shilling on something where the biggest wallets doesnt win most of the time.

This might be a seminal time for football to re organise not just it's future vision but also its finances. If it really does go down the route of fucking off this season as never having taken place just as things look to be turning a corner virus wise, I really dont think Id want to be involved with it any more. What would be the point?

• Upvote 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52423767

The government plans to set up the first of a series of regular meetings involving senior medical directors of the major sports this week in a bid to return to action as soon as possible.

The move was described by a source close to the plans as a "quickening of the pace" and intended to help sport resume "within weeks", if progress was made.

The Chief Medical Officer's staff would also be involved in the weekly meetings, and the Prime Minister has been briefed on the plan.

The specifics of each sport would be examined by health experts to see what protocols would be needed to get each up and running as soon as possible, meaning some would return sooner than others.

Testing, social distancing, hygiene standards and strict limits on the numbers of people allowed in venues would all be debated.

It comes just days after Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden told MPs that he had been having "productive talks" with governing bodies from across British sport on restarting following the coronavirus shutdown.

However, a return to action still depends on the government's five tests being met, especially an increase in testing, and meeting social distancing guidelines.

Sport at all levels is on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic which has claimed the lives of more than 19,000 people in the UK.

• The Premier League, Women's Super League and English football leagues have suspended the 2019-20 season indefinitely, while the lower-league season in Scotland has ended.
  • Cricket in England and Wales remains suspended until 1 July.
  • The first nine races of the Formula 1 season have been called off with the British Grand Prix scheduled to take place in July.
  • The London Marathon, which had been set to take place this weekend, has been rescheduled for October.
  • Rugby union's Premiership clubs are working towards a best-case scenario of returning to action on the weekend of 3-5 July.
  • Golf's Open Championship, which had been set to take place in Kent in July, has been cancelled with the three other men's majors rescheduled.

The meetings are viewed as preparatory, and intended to avoid a further delay to seasons being resumed once approval is granted, rather than a sign that it was imminent. Indeed, there is an acceptance that the plans being put in place may not end up being implemented for months if progress elsewhere is not made.

Government officials have accepted that at this stage, sport would only be able to take place behind closed doors.

But there is a recognition that it may provide many people with a much-needed boost to morale after months of lockdown.

Officials are known to be nervous however about the prospect of fans congregating in large numbers outside stadia to celebrate if titles for instance are confirmed.

Dowden said this week that the Premier League was considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-air when the season restarts.

But officials are said to be mindful of commercial contracts with broadcasters Sky and BT, and recognise the importance of the revenue they generate to the sport more widely.

The Premier League holds its next meeting on Friday.

Some leagues may follow the Dutch model, but my guess is that the top 5 leagues will move hell and earth to complete their seasons and will do so. The Dutch have created a serious clusterfuck for themselves and if anything the Premier League will be watching closely - they could have done a title playoff between AZ and Ajax which would also serve as deciding who qualifies for the latter stages of the champions league. They should have relegated the bottom side and promoted the top side in their second division, then did play off games between the teams in relegation zone and in the promotion zone. A few games would have given them clarity and could have been played before the new season there. Now they have created a lawyer's wet dream. The Belgians gave clarity re Club Brugge and the SPL seem to have done so with Celtic. Most leagues will go down the route of ppg and if it's tight, may go down the playoff route to decide things-learning off the Dutch mistake.

The Bundesliga will return and the Germans will do it fantastically. All the other leagues will copy and the seasons will be completed. If not, they will go down the ppg route imo

We're 25 points ahead - the only fair thing to do if you're closing the season is to give us the title. I've no idea about the other divisions or relegation because I wasn't paying them attention. But to void the league is a ridiculous idea. Why would you void a league almost finished to start a new one? It doesn't make any sense! (Unless your club has had a shit season and it's better to pretend it never happened). Also, if they do then I want my money back from every match I attended and paid to watch on Sky. 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Some leagues may follow the Dutch model, but my guess is that the top 5 leagues will move hell and earth to complete their seasons and will do so. The Dutch have created a serious clusterfuck for themselves and if anything the Premier League will be watching closely - they could have done a title playoff between AZ and Ajax which would also serve as deciding who qualifies for the latter stages of the champions league. They should have relegated the bottom side and promoted the top side in their second division, then did play off games between the teams in relegation zone and in the promotion zone. A few games would have given them clarity and could have been played before the new season there. Now they have created a lawyer's wet dream. The Belgians gave clarity re Club Brugge and the SPL seem to have done so with Celtic. Most leagues will go down the route of ppg and if it's tight, may go down the playoff route to decide things-learning off the Dutch mistake.

The Bundesliga will return and the Germans will do it fantastically. All the other leagues will copy and the seasons will be completed. If not, they will go down the ppg route imo

Just looking at it objectively Ronnie lad, all they had to do is enlarge the top league for 'next' season whenever that starts as it removes the relegation and promotion question.

It's not ideal but then just have a single play off game between the top 2 to decide the league. Ajax are spouting like they have won the league anyway according to the tweets they have put out. Thought they were better than that?

Same with the Euro qualifiers. Just play a single play off between the team in the last qualifying position and the team immediately outside it.

There again, the Dutch Government paniced for whatever reason in banning all professional sport until September. What's the rationale there as no other country in the world has done that and it's over 4 months away?

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

We're 25 points ahead - the only fair thing to do if you're closing the season is to give us the title. I've no idea about the other divisions or relegation because I wasn't paying them attention. But to void the league is a ridiculous idea. Why would you void a league almost finished to start a new one? It doesn't make any sense! (Unless your club has had a shit season and it's better to pretend it never happened). Also, if they do then I want my money back from every match I attended and paid to watch on Sky. 

Legal issues galore. Also, as if Ed Woodward, Daniel Levy or any of the other senior people in clubs want the season to end. They are shitting it about having to pay out to sponsors and media companies. 

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I know Mane has but I’d love the club (Klopp) to come out and say what will be will be. Void it if necessary, we aren’t going anywhere and rest assured we win it next year. 

Then we go and batter everyone into a pulp and win next season. 

To be fair the club and Klopp have kept a dignified silence over the whole thing which I  think is the best way to go about it ...A lot of others wouldn’t especially being so far ahead 

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Just looking at it objectively Ronnie lad, all they had to do is enlarge the top league for 'next' season whenever that starts as it removes the relegation and promotion question.

It's not ideal but then just have a single play off game between the top 2 to decide the league. Ajax are spouting like they have won the league anyway according to the tweets they have put out. Thought they were better than that?

Same with the Euro qualifiers. Just play a single play off between the team in the last qualifying position and the team immediately outside it.

There again, the Dutch Government paniced for whatever reason in banning all professional sport until September. What's the rationale there as no other country in the world has done that and it's over 4 months away?

Absolutely Docker! Easy to do and gets rid of so many problems. Seems they paniced to me. AZ pissed off (and Ajax), Utrecht and the teams in the second division. The other leagues will be watching closely.