You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

9 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

It’s a real false equivalence to draw parallels with the Dutch situation. We’re fucking 25 points clear, I cannot envisage any legitimate claim from anybody is a professional capacity to claim we’re not deserved champions.

It’s not about the difference in points, it’s about how not awarding the top flight title makes it far easier to say no promotion or relegation down the ladder. The club at the top of the Dutch second division was 11 points clear - if Ajax were crowned champions then they would have had to have been too, and if they were champions they should be promoted.

3 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

But it is in effect the same as voiding, just in a weasel way so they can claim European spots. No top flight champions makes it much easier to hand wave away the thorny issue of promotion and relegation.

I think UEFA were stupid for letting the Dutch have a loophole. As pointed out by the ESPN guy, now the Dutch can put in their clubs for European competition next season using UEFA's "sporting merit" based off their final table of this season.

And they can claim they didnt void this season because that would have resulted in them having to use the final table from the 2018/19 season. It's all bollocks.

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

Can’t it? Said who?

The Dutch league is worth pennies mate. The premiership has billions riding on it. No comparison. This season will be finished one way or the other.

Failing that, I cannot imagine the league would deny us the title should the season be ended prematurely. There would be no credibility left in the game if that were to happen.

1 minute ago, Baltar said:

The Dutch league is worth pennies mate. The premiership has billions riding on it. No comparison. This season will be finished one way or the other.

Failing that, I cannot imagine the league would deny us the title should the season be ended prematurely. There would be no credibility left in the game if that were to happen.

No credibility, but accepted nonetheless. Most fans would fucking love it and say it’s the only fair way because if we were champions, it would be unfair on the teams top of the lower divisions. 

10 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I think UEFA were stupid for letting the Dutch have a loophole. As pointed out by the ESPN guy, now the Dutch can put in their clubs for European competition next season using UEFA's "sporting merit" based off their final table of this season.

And they can claim they didnt void this season because that would have resulted in them having to use the final table from the 2018/19 season. It's all bollocks.

UEFA retained the right to reject any nation's clubs from it's competition if the league wasnt decided on sporting merit. The Dutch havent decided their league on sporting merit. They've ended it (I want to avoid using the word 'voiding it') and decided their clubs should be nominated for UEFA competition based on what, where they are in a league that's been cancelled?

Hopefully UEFA will fuck the Dutch authorities off. At least the Belgians decided Brugge were their champions when they ended the season. The Dutch decision does no one any good and total fucks up 'sporting integrity' and 'merit.'

Not having a pop at you by the way!

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

No credibility, but accepted nonetheless. Most fans would fucking love it and say it’s the only fair way because if we were champions, it would be unfair on the teams top of the lower divisions. 

The Premiership is a separate entity, it can decide to award the title to Liverpool, let the lower leagues work out what they want to do.

I don't think it would be easy for England to go down the route of no promotion from the EFL. Leeds and West Brom for example would be losing out on hundreds of millions. They certainly wont be sitting on their arses while that decision is taken. They would be straight on to their legal teams threatening to sue.

And crucially, I think it was stated some weeks ago that the Premier League cant solely take such a decision like the Dutch have, because all the EFL teams each carry a vote in such matters. So yeah, I'm starting to be optimistic again.

16 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

But it is in effect the same as voiding, just in a weasel way so they can claim European spots. No top flight champions makes it much easier to hand wave away the thorny issue of promotion and relegation.

The Dutch league had a good get out of jail card as PPG wouldn’t have altered the table so they could get away with just cancelling .

Bit different in our league 

Let's face it the Dutch league couldn't really crown Ajax champions fairly could they. 

Belgium on the other hand and Scotland have already identified who should be champions. 

Am still of the opinion that the premier league will be completed anyway but if it's not we'll be crowned champions. 

17 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA retained the right to reject any nation's clubs from it's competition if the league wasnt decided on sporting merit. The Dutch havent decided their league on sporting merit. They've ended it (I want to avoid using the word 'voiding it') and decided their clubs should be nominated for UEFA competition based on what, where they are in a league that's been cancelled?

Hopefully UEFA will fuck the Dutch authorities off. At least the Belgians decided Brugge were their champions when they ended the season. The Dutch decision does no one any good and total fucks up 'sporting integrity' and 'merit.'

Not having a pop at you by the way!

I agree with your sentiments. No offence taken.

The issue is UEFA didnt explicitly state that a champion has to be declared in all leagues. That's the loophole I'm talking about. Of course, I am sure they think their words 'sporting merit and integrity' would indicate that leagues need crowned champions.

Immediately UEFA wavered from their initial stance of "ALL leagues should be completed", this shite pulled by the Dutch was bound to happen.

Looks like this isn’t over yet...

Follow
Dutch Football

Utrecht are not happy about the decision to hand Willem II and not them the fifth Europa League spot.

They were in the KNVB Cup final, had played a game less than Willem II and had a better goal difference.

Legal action is set to be taken

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/1253726024703057920

AZ Alkmaar have also announced that they disagree with the way that the KNVB have distributed the European places.

They were given a preliminary Champions League spot with Ajax taking the group stage place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/1253730862740406273

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

Looks like this isn’t over yet...

Follow
Dutch Football

Utrecht are not happy about the decision to hand Willem II and not them the fifth Europa League spot.

They were in the KNVB Cup final, had played a game less than Willem II and had a better goal difference.

Legal action is set to be taken

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/1253726024703057920

AZ Alkmaar have also announced that they disagree with the way that the KNVB have distributed the European places.

They were given a preliminary Champions League spot with Ajax taking the group stage place.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FootballOranje_/status/1253730862740406273

I read on Twitter that clubs aren’t happy that abstaining one promotion and relegation was counted by the KNVB as a vote against having them. 9 clubs abstained. So essentially, 16 clubs voted FOR relegation, 9 against and 9 abstained.

In fairness to the Dutch, how could you award Ajax the title. They are ahead on goal difference. It would be like awarding City last year's title if they were ahead on goal difference with 10 odd games left. Very different to Belgium and Scotland. Us and France are in the same boat, but the rest of the major leagues are touch and go. How they decide to declare a champion is hard to predict - maybe home and away playoff games between Real/Barca and 4 team playoffs in Germany and Italy??

The other clubs in the pl predominantly want to complete the league because it is financial suicide if they don't and if that can't be done, I think they will just award us the title. The real battles will be champions league and relegation, as well as promotion. There will be no heart from any club to deny us - this isn't social media banter brigade taking the piss out of Scousers or the numpties on bluemoon, this is big business. As if any club wants to piss off Liverpool unneccessarily. Better to keep us onside. It would come out the clubs that voted against us and that would be a pr disaster for them. The premier league will be happy to crown us champions. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and if they didn't all credibility would be lost. Credibility in any brand has to be there and to deny a team needing 6 points from 19 games (our 9 and City's ten) essentially would be laughable given we have taken 82 points from 87.

I believe they will find a way to complete the league in the coming weeks or at least have a plan for blitzing it. If not, we will be champions. Number 19. I find it hard to celebrate with so many great people in turmoil but having had a glance at Bluemoon, fuck it I'll quietly enjoy it.

Seeing as there is now no evidence of improper behaviour in how the SPFL handled the vote it will mean Celtic will be soon declared champions but I guess that doesn’t get the same level of clicks on Twitter for Sky and BBC so it’s not covered with as much gusto 

If Ajax and Alkmaar were level on points then surely the fairest way to decide it would have been a straight playoff between the two for the title. That could have taken place just before whenever the new season starts. How can abstaining votes be counted one way or the other for promotion and relegation? It sounds like the Dutch authorities really wanted to just effectively void the season (let's be honest, they're doing it in all but name) and did everything they could to make it happen. I feel sorry for the clubs who were having good seasons who missed out, just as I did with all the non-league teams. There have been some really braindead decisions made in football since this all started. Voiding any league at this point in the season is by far the most unjust thing any league at any level could do.

The need to decide European places is an irrelevant pipe dream. There's no way the European competitions are going to go ahead as normal next season.

1 hour ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I read on Twitter that clubs aren’t happy that abstaining one promotion and relegation was counted by the KNVB as a vote against having them. 9 clubs abstained. So essentially, 16 clubs voted FOR relegation, 9 against and 9 abstained.

I read on Twitter injecting bleach is healthy.    I think you should try

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

In fairness to the Dutch, how could you award Ajax the title. They are ahead on goal difference. It would be like awarding City last year's title if they were ahead on goal difference with 10 odd games left. Very different to Belgium and Scotland. Us and France are in the same boat, but the rest of the major leagues are touch and go. How they decide to declare a champion is hard to predict - maybe home and away playoff games between Real/Barca and 4 team playoffs in Germany and Italy??

The other clubs in the pl predominantly want to complete the league because it is financial suicide if they don't and if that can't be done, I think they will just award us the title. The real battles will be champions league and relegation, as well as promotion. There will be no heart from any club to deny us - this isn't social media banter brigade taking the piss out of Scousers or the numpties on bluemoon, this is big business. As if any club wants to piss off Liverpool unneccessarily. Better to keep us onside. It would come out the clubs that voted against us and that would be a pr disaster for them. The premier league will be happy to crown us champions. We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and if they didn't all credibility would be lost. Credibility in any brand has to be there and to deny a team needing 6 points from 19 games (our 9 and City's ten) essentially would be laughable given we have taken 82 points from 87.

I believe they will find a way to complete the league in the coming weeks or at least have a plan for blitzing it. If not, we will be champions. Number 19. I find it hard to celebrate with so many great people in turmoil but having had a glance at Bluemoon, fuck it I'll quietly enjoy it.

A lot of sense spoken here but dont think for one minute the PL give a fuck about keeping Liverpool onside.

They are after all the same organisation that reluctantly allowed us to wear the FIFA World Champions badge for one league game only. I still cannot get my head around the PL not allowing any one of it's clubs who are FIFA World Champs not to wear the badge for the entire period especially with the games transmitted around the World.