You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah I’ve certainly noticed a change of late, more people out and about, more shops opening etc, I said at the very start of this that people would not stay in lock down for a period of 3 months and certainly not longer, I’m not saying that’s right I’m just saying that it was obvious they wouldn’t. The problem now is how is this addressed, if left unchecked society will open up more and more, it will be interesting to see what happens then, if the Govt tries to clamp down then that’s when the problems will really start. These are not good times.

Something that’s really shit me up is reading about the virus causing blood clotting leading to strokes and other nasty shit in healthy people with minor or no symptoms. I really don’t think we’re anywhere close to ready for a true opening up, and anyone saying “yeah, open up the restaurants and put the kids back to school now” surely has a death wish.

I think behind closed doors football could be managed, but participation should be voluntary. I wouldn’t think worse of anyone who preferred to stay away, regardless of my opinion of them as a player.

2 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

Dutch league cancelled. Ajax not awarded trophy. Bad news!!!!

To be fair they were both level on points so totally different to the PL.

As desperate as I am to see us winning the league I think I’ve said if we were even less than 10 points clear it would always niggle at me that we might have been caught ....Luckily we are a million miles in front  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

To be fair they were both level on points so totally different to the PL.

As desperate as I am to see us winning the league I think I’ve said if we were even less than 10 points clear it would always niggle at me that we might have been caught ....Luckily we are a million miles in front  

I understand. Just don’t like the precedent being set. 

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

if they've cancelled and voided the Dutch league, then there's a very serious possibility they'll do in the England to.

Im beginning to worry now..........

They haven't voided though have they! Cancelled and voided are 2 different things completely.

voided means didn't happen all results expunged where's as cancelled means cut short. 

Holland have decided to not crown a champion which seen as they have 2 teams level on points is fair.

Belgium (Scotland soon to follow) will name a champion as there's 1 team well ahead. 

1) it's more likely the premier league will be finished 

2 if it's not we will be declared champions

3 minutes ago, Marko121 said:

I understand. Just don’t like the precedent being set. 

There is a good chance the PL won’t get played to a finish but it’s just over 24 hours since Uefa came out with this which took into account leagues not finishing so I don’t know why you’re  panicking 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/reactions-news-liverpool-set-to-be-crowned-201920-premier-league-champions-20200424

I think the season will definitely be cancelled with the positions as they are now standing, we’ll be crowned champions. Utterly shite way to win it and the asterix champions tag will never leave us, we have to ensure that we win the title when the new season starts but I really am starting to believe that we’re cursed as for as the PL goes.

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think the season will definitely be cancelled with the positions as they are now standing, we’ll be crowned champions. Utterly shite way to win it and the asterix champions tag will never leave us, we have to ensure that we win the title when the new season starts but I really am starting to believe that we’re cursed as for as the PL goes.

Both ways of winning this are crap but we are worthy winners and I couldn’t give a shit about a so called asterisk.

Have a gander on Twitter and see how the knuckle draggers are frothing at the mouth over the Dutch league being cancelled yet it’s us that are out  of order wanting to still be crowned champions .

I’ll happily take it and then win it again 

5 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Both ways of winning this are crap but we are worthy winners and I couldn’t give a shit about a so called asterisk.

Have a gander on Twitter and see how the knuckle draggers are frothing at the mouth over the Dutch league being cancelled yet it’s us that are out  of order wanting to still be crowned champions .

I’ll happily take it and then win it again 

I know we’re worthy winners, everybody does but no offence I’m not sure I entirely believe you when you say you couldn’t give a shit about the asterisk, after such an excruciating wait it’s fucking heartbreaking.

I think we’ll see a lot of leagues go down that route now - no difficult decisions so CL / EL places decided on current positions but no champions or relegation. Unless UEFA strike this down, other leagues will follow suite to avoid controversy.

Should that happen here, anyone who invests in next season would have to be nuts. The precedent will have been set; games are all meaningless friendliest until ratified at the end of the season. Each and every one - there would be no point celebrating a single goal until the 38th game is done and dusted.

Personally, I don’t think we should participate in another Premier League season if it happens here; when it’s safe, arrange a series of one-off glamour games against the biggest teams in the world instead and work towards a new Super League.

13 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know we’re worthy winners, everybody does but no offence I’m not sure I entirely believe you when you say you couldn’t give a shit about the asterisk, after such an excruciating wait it’s fucking heartbreaking.

I couldn't give a flying fuck. Firstly we've won it fair and square and we would be deserved of being crowned as champions.

The only thing I care about is the fans not being able to celebrate it until this shit show is over.

The Dutch decision is bizarre. Things have to stand. Goal difference being a deciding factor if points are tied. You can't just write off an entire season.

Does that mean all Dutch clubs are going to refund all their fans season tickets that have been paid for?

10 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I couldn't give a flying fuck. Firstly we've won it fair and square and we would be deserved of being crowned as champions.

The only thing I care about is the fans not being able to celebrate it until this shit show is over.

The Dutch decision is bizarre. Things have to stand. Goal difference being a deciding factor if points are tied. You can't just write off an entire season.

Does that mean all Dutch clubs are going to refund all their fans season tickets that have been paid for?

Everyone who has attended a game should be refunded in full and probably compensated for travel / lodging, but they won’t be.  Every shirt - refunded, every TV subscription - refunded. Every bit of food and drink - refunded. The season simply didn’t exist, not in a tangible form. 

They’ve taken the cowardly option that every league will take now - the ball is now in UEFA’s court; they need to step up and insist on titles being awarded, or this will be the way forward.

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We are the best team in the league by a mile this season, ahead by a mile. It has to be awarded.

Yeah, but it makes sense that it could be left vacant after this Dutch cowardice, doesn’t it? Apparently rewarding failure on a never before seen level is the “fairest” thing to do. The one thing that gives me a bit of hope is that our owners are ruthless and might not take it lying down if / when the same thing happens here. UEFA too have plenty to lose with the introduction of a super league outside of their jurisdiction, so hopefully they’ll refuse to admit Dutch clubs into next season’s competitions after this.

54 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

if they've cancelled and voided the Dutch league, then there's a very serious possibility they'll do in the England to.

Im beginning to worry now..........

I really, really dont think there is the possibility of it happening here. The Dutch football authorities were between a rock and a hard place given how tight the top of their league was plus, a number of the leading clubs wanted the league ended.

What it will do is just make the 'null and void' shouters shout louder for it to happen here.

Personally, I hope UEFA say to the Dutch well if you have no champions, you have no club in the CL when the next competition starts.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I really, really dont think there is the possibility of it happening here. The Dutch football authorities were between a rock and a hard place given how tight the top of their league was plus, a number of the leading clubs wanted the league ended.

What it will do is just make the 'null and void' shouters shout louder for it to happen here.

Personally, I hope UEFA say to the Dutch well if you have no champions, you have no club in the CL when the next competition starts.

The concern for me is that if there’s no appetite for relegation, awarding us the title makes it difficult further down the leagues. Leeds? Not promoted, not champions...but why?! Liverpool are champions! And so on and so forth.

I think it’s a sleazy way to weasel out of it, but I can see lots of chairmen rubbing their hands together over the prospect of doing the same thing here.

It’s down to UEFA to put their foot down now, at least regarding the top of the table. The government banning sport is no excuse; in fact, if that’s what they’re trying to use as a get out clause, I’d say it’s clearly political meddling and Dutch clubs should be banned from football for a long time.

It's a little bit sad that we won't have The Moment to look back on. But I'm not the slightest bit bothered what attitude future generations take to how Liverpool won the title. Liverpool could win the next ten titles and you'd still have to filter out noise from morons trying to make little of it. I don't care for their good opinion at the best of times - and these are not the best of times.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Capt I’m totally gutted as you are that we can’t win it the way we deserve to and the way we should have done it’s a sickener it totally is. The celebrations would have topped even the Champs League parade . The players, Klopp and the country wouldn’t have seen anything like it but even if it resumes and we win it by winning those two games it won’t be the same now.

I’m just kind of comfortable winning it this way as in my heart I know we would have done it anyway . 
Hopefully like losing to City by a point we can go again when we eventually start up I think Klopp and the players will want to do that I just think if they don’t get the 19/20 title it might deflate them and the fans .

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The concern for me is that if there’s no appetite for relegation, awarding us the title makes it difficult further down the leagues. Leeds? Not promoted, not champions...but why?! Liverpool are champions! And so on and so forth.

I think it’s a sleazy way to weasel out of it, but I can see lots of chairmen rubbing their hands together over the prospect of doing the same thing here.

It’s down to UEFA to put their foot down now, at least regarding the top of the table. The government banning sport is no excuse; in fact, if that’s what they’re trying to use as a get out clause, I’d say it’s clearly political meddling and Dutch clubs should be banned from football for a long time.

Well I suspect that even if Dutch clubs dont take league action, clubs in England will. In fact South Shields, top of the Northern PL are taking legal action over the decision to deny them promotion.

What the Dutch decision does show is, if clubs abdicate responsibility in voting (9 clubs abstained in the vote!) this is what you get, administrators making bad decisions for you.

Dale Johnson
@DaleJohnsonESPN
For the aVOIDance of doubt, the Eredivisie season is not null and void. 

Classification when games stopped is used. Points Per Game wouldn't have altered one placing, so not required.

The league chose to cancel promotion and relegation.

It's fully in line with UEFA's wishes

Dale Johnson
@DaleJohnsonESPN

Liverpool will almost certainly be champions, highly unlikely to be any relegation, promotion is anyone's guess.

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Dale Johnson
@DaleJohnsonESPN
For the aVOIDance of doubt, the Eredivisie season is not null and void. 

Classification when games stopped is used. Points Per Game wouldn't have altered one placing, so not required.

The league chose to cancel promotion and relegation.

It's fully in line with UEFA's wishes

But it is in effect the same as voiding, just in a weasel way so they can claim European spots. No top flight champions makes it much easier to hand wave away the thorny issue of promotion and relegation.