You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Code said:

Football could be back tomorrow if they wanted to, no risk at all.

The players get tested and isolate, then they play behind closed doors. 

Its as safe as it gets.

tenor.gif

5 hours ago, Code said:

Its as safe as it gets.

You aren’t very good at normal are you? 

5 hours ago, Code said:

Its as safe as it gets.

There's a disconnect between 'no risk at all' and 'Its as safe as it gets'. As someone said at the start of all this reacting to the what-are-the-chances merchants: here's 100 Skittles. Oh, and three of them are poisoned. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, devilsadvocate said:

https://www.dw.com/en/coronaviruswhen-will-premier-league-bundesliga-serie-a-la-liga-and-ligue-1-restart/a-53202352

Good article on the current state of play for each league, mooted return dates and financial implications if cancelled. 

My eternal optimism is ever so slowly beginning to evaporate. I think we're going to be awarded the title but beyond that, I think football's going to be very difficult to continue unless a vaccine becomes available. All the talk is that will not be available for a long time.

The financial consideration is huge but, what about player welfare? Football is a close contact sport. Some sports like golf and tennis, it's easy to envisage them re starting, but football?

My big fear during a restarted PL to the finish is, a club like west ham or one or two players within a club fighting relegation or looking like they'll miss out on the CL places goes "we've players who've tested positive." What happens then?

I wish I could remain optimistic.

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think the public has been prepared to not expect sport this calendar year.

There has to be. If there is no football this year then most clubs will collapse and the general public will not accept a bailout for the industry.

I'll be honest,  when the virus / lockdown hit , after family ,  us winning the league was the most important thing in my life. 5 or 6 weeks later it is a background issue and I haven't missed it anywhere near I thought I would.

I originally though the smart money was on a no-relegation / us as champions cessation scenario,  and hundreds of media articles later I still think this.

• Upvote 4

At the end of the day if football has to wait until a vaccine to resume then it's finished as we know it. 

The test case for games to resume before a vaccine is going to be the Bundesliga which by all accounts is preparing to resume behind closed doors in May.

If successful I think you see the other big leagues follow suit in June/July with a view to completion by July/Aug and then UEFA will attempt to complete the European comps. 

If it goes tits up in Germany then football will he placed on hold indefinitely until a vaccine is widely available which probably writes off the whole of next season. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52379825

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

... My big fear during a restarted PL to the finish is, a club like west ham or one or two players within a club fighting relegation or looking like they'll miss out on the CL places goes "we've players who've tested positive." What happens then?

Every player would have to feel safe playing which would mean every team living and training in isolation following certain procedures.

If any club has a player that tests positive they might get a big points deduction this season or next because they’ve fucked up. Obviously a lot would depend on regular testing and being able to trace any infection.

1 hour ago, devilsadvocate said:

At the end of the day if football has to wait until a vaccine to resume then it's finished as we know it. 

The test case for games to resume before a vaccine is going to be the Bundesliga which by all accounts is preparing to resume behind closed doors in May.

If successful I think you see the other big leagues follow suit in June/July with a view to completion by July/Aug and then UEFA will attempt to complete the European comps. 

If it goes tits up in Germany then football will he placed on hold indefinitely until a vaccine is widely available which probably writes off the whole of next season. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52379825

Sorry for the late follow up, just got back from doing the weekly shop, fucking manic in the local Asda, it's like a plague of locusts have descended again. Missus says it's because the gov said the lockdown's gonna continue for another 3 weeks at least.

Germany is both a worry and hope for me. The best scenario is they play and manage to complete the Bundesliga. But fuck me, if a player tests positive after they start, it will be a massive blow.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry for the late follow up, just got back from doing the weekly shop, fucking manic in the local Asda, it's like a plague of locusts have descended again. Missus says it's because the gov said the lockdown's gonna continue for another 3 weeks at least.

Germany is both a worry and hope for me. The best scenario is they play and manage to complete the Bundesliga. But fuck me, if a player tests positive after they start, it will be a massive blow.

Yeah definitely think this is the case. Germany gives hope to everyone. If it goes tits up, I think they will go down the points per game route which bypasses the fact some teams have played one less game, it means they don't have the nuclear option of not making us champions and it is the fairest (there probably are teams with an easier run in which is tough on them and may have impacted on champions league spots and relegation). A few fellas I follow on twitter were saying UEFA want clubs going into their competitions on merit if leagues cancel their seasons which would indicate they are pushing for this too.

As others have rightly said, it's a question of how and when we are made champions rather than if. The virus means I can't celebrate the way I wanted too and with the daily tragedies I wouldn't really want to be dancing around the place anyhow. Still even if it is a quiet few drinks at home with the family and calls to red family and friends, it may be the only bit of good news for a long time so fuck it I'll raise a toast to Jurgen and our lads.

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/news/newsid=2641715.html

Directions from UEFA to all national associations & no mention of null and void thank god.

1) complete the season if possible 

2) resume with different format if necessary ( possibly some type of playoff to decide European qualification/relegation if no time to complete league )

3) if not possible let sporting merit decide cancelled leagues 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mathewbet1 said:

BREAKING NEWS: Bundesliga bosses sign off on a May 9 return with orders for 25,000 coronavirus tests costing £2.2m, just 322 people per game allowed into stadiums... and stars washing their own kits

More good news.

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Bollocks to current footy. BBC and ITV should just broadcast Mexico 70 & 86, West Germany 74 and Italia 90. Load of 60s, 70s and 80s FA Cup Finals, too.

You'd love Spanish telly at the moment. The two free sports channels are showing loads of old club and International football every day.

Watched the 1984 Copa Del Rey final a couple of days ago (Athletic Bilbao booting Maradona up and down the pitch and winning 1-0).

Isn't ITV going to be showing Euro 96 in May?

• Upvote 1