You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

3 hours ago, mike23 said:

There's a line in that article about how curtailing this season will allow them to plan for ticket sales for next season. Are they honestly expecting big crowds to be allowed in football stadiums if they start in August? 

Agreed.I’ve got a season ticket that my mate has bought off me for the last few seasons do they honestly think people are going to spunk out £800 plus for a season that might not even start or might not even finish .?

And what about the games that haven’t even been completed for this season .?

Their main arguments are players contracts which is a little flimsy because they could either make it that no player currently on a teams roster can leave until the season is completed even if that is in September, or they make it that say if William leaves Chelsea and they sign Sancho after the 30th June that's okay. 

There is not a hope in hell they take the title from us. Our owners are a bunch of sharks which in this instance is a good thing. Nike aren't going to be delighted to market the unluckiest team in history, they are here to market the champions. Our sponsors across the board will be the same. 

There will be lawsuits galore and that's before I even think about the tv companies. 

The people in this meeting are serious business people, not the banter police. Karen Brady became a lot quieter and changed her tune when she saw the figures of voiding the season. Her fans wouldn't be as privy to that. 

They will complete the season in June or July. Next season they could divide the league in two with home and away games based on performance this season with the three promoted teams with the bottom seeding; Liverpool team 1, City team 2 .. and then do quarter finals or semi finals and then a final. Would be a lot less games but for a one off year, that would be okay. The other option would be bin all domestic cups and keep leagues whole.

I want to win the league by finishing it. However, we win the league via ppg and that's okay with me. Only knobheads would say we didn't win it. We have twice the lead on City that Celtic have on Rangers or Brugge have on the team in second in their league and like fuck I wouldn't feel brugge or celtic are deserved winners. Once it says number 19, I'm okay with it.

• Upvote 1

If the clubs decide to call it a 29 game season then we've won it fair and square. Nobody is handing us anything. 

And if the clubs think we're going to have mass gatherings in the Autumn they've got another think coming. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Their main arguments are players contracts which is a little flimsy because they could either make it that no player currently on a teams roster can leave until the season is completed even if that is in September, or they make it that say if William leaves Chelsea and they sign Sancho after the 30th June that's okay. 

There is not a hope in hell they take the title from us. Our owners are a bunch of sharks which in this instance is a good thing. Nike aren't going to be delighted to market the unluckiest team in history, they are here to market the champions. Our sponsors across the board will be the same. 

There will be lawsuits galore and that's before I even think about the tv companies. 

The people in this meeting are serious business people, not the banter police. Karen Brady became a lot quieter and changed her tune when she saw the figures of voiding the season. Her fans wouldn't be as privy to that. 

They will complete the season in June or July. Next season they could divide the league in two with home and away games based on performance this season with the three promoted teams with the bottom seeding; Liverpool team 1, City team 2 .. and then do quarter finals or semi finals and then a final. Would be a lot less games but for a one off year, that would be okay. The other option would be bin all domestic cups and keep leagues whole.

I want to win the league by finishing it. However, we win the league via ppg and that's okay with me. Only knobheads would say we didn't win it. We have twice the lead on City that Celtic have on Rangers or Brugge have on the team in second in their league and like fuck I wouldn't feel brugge or celtic are deserved winners. Once it says number 19, I'm okay with it.

It's a load of bollocks that contracts section in the article. It screams 80 top stars are out of contract which could leave teams vying for Europe or fighting relegation with depleted squads! Reading this you'd think teams are at risk of losing 4/5 of there best players and therefore bringing the integrity of the competition into question. 

1) 80 players averages out to 4 per team and they have 25 man squads + academy players. 

2) Of the 80 how many are top stars who would really impact a team if they decided not to play after 1/7? Am guessing majority are loans or players surplus to requirements. 

3) looks like the transfer window won't be open so if players decide to not play they can join another team as wouldn't be eligible. 

Aslong as both parties agree on a short extension to the contract (probably 30 days ) then what's the big deal. If the player won't commit then fine sit out 

These teams are looking for any excuse to serve there own interests. 

It won't be voided but you can see teams trying to use this to avoid being relegated, proposing an expanded league next year. 

The only 1 reasonable question on the article is what happens if a player contracts the virus and the whole squad has to go into self isolation but from what ave read they will only resume once the players are able to be tested regularly to ensure there not affected which removes the 14 day self isolation. This also takes away the possibility clubs can use the excuse of infected players to their  advantage. 

Teams should be told we're going to finish it and if you refuse you forsake any prize/tv money you are due. 

It should be agreed that in the event it restarts but can't be finished for whatever reason then the season will then be curtailed and the table at that point will be final. 

1 hour ago, No2 said:

I don't want it handed to us. I have waited 30 years, I'll wait another few if so be it.

Whose to say it won't be another 30 yrs! 

if someone had said in 1990 that in the year 2020 we won't have won it again you'd have laughed your bollocks off.

if we don't win it this year we are cursed and I can't see us ever winning it after so many near misses. 

This monkey needs removing from our back now. 

Fuck that this title is ours by hook or crook. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ll say it again. If they void it I don’t want it handed to us. 

I felt like this also up until recently, but the more I thought about it the more I don’t mind.  For example, it happens in other sports quite a bit. Golf championships are played over 4 days but are regularly brought down to 3 days when weather affects play. Cricket does it too. 

It’s 100% NOT how I want to win it, but if we are “handed it” we deserve it. This isn’t Man City being handed the title last year with a few games to go and us losing our shit. We are further ahead in the league at this stage then any team in history. We’ve won it. The real issue and arguments will be the teams relegated or not getting into the CL. That’s where the arguments will be. Not us winning it. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

Whose to say it won't be another 30 yrs! 

if someone had said in 1990 that in the year 2020 we won't have won it again you'd have laughed your bollocks off.

if we don't win it this year we are cursed and I can't see us ever winning it after so many near misses. 

This monkey needs removing from our back now. 

Fuck that this title is ours by hook or crook. 

I just feel like I haven't invested 30 years of emotions into this to hear a sports bulletin on the radio declaring Liverpool as champions. That would be shit. Maybe winning next year would feel like this year should have but I would have my doubts.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I felt like this also up until recently, but the more I thought about it the more I don’t mind.  For example, it happens in other sports quite a bit. Golf championships are played over 4 days but are regularly brought down to 3 days when weather affects play. Cricket does it too. 

It’s 100% NOT how I want to win it, but if we are “handed it” we deserve it. This isn’t Man City being handed the title last year with a few games to go and us losing our shit. We are further ahead in the league at this stage then any team in history. We’ve won it. The real issue and arguments will be the teams relegated or not getting into the CL. That’s where the arguments will be. Not us winning it. 

After waiting so long I want that moment. That goal or final whistle. That feeling ..... I want to share it with friends and family. I want to get absolutely fucking shit faced. I want to remember that moment forever. 

I don't want that moment to be a "breaking news" moment while Im typing out a reply to fucking Strontium Dog on the Coronavirus thread just to wind him up. I don't want to be in my pyjama bottoms without a beer to open right away. I don't want BBC fucking News to tell me that the love of my life has just won the league for the first time in 30 years. I don't want to spend the rest of my life arguing with every other cunt who will constantly say "you didn't win it though". 

Maybe thats just me. I didn't leave Anfield after the City game barely able to speak or think straight just to listen to Jim White announce that we have been "awarded" the fucking thing. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

I just feel like I haven't invested 30 years of emotions into this to hear a sports bulletin on the radio declaring Liverpool as champions. That would be shit. Maybe winning next year would feel like this year should have but I would have my doubts.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

After waiting so long I want that moment. That goal or final whistle. That feeling ..... I want to share it with friends and family. I want to get absolutely fucking shit faced. I want to remember that moment forever.

I totally agree. And I think everyone here also agrees. It’ll be a rubbish way to win it. But that’s a different issue. We deserve it. If they end the season then we should be awarded it as we’ve win it. 

However, I’ll want us to win it next season to get that moment of sheer elation when the final whistle goes and we are champions. Although I think full time at the home Man Utd game will become that “champions” moment for this season, even if we do get to play it out. 

• Upvote 5

It won’t be ideal either way, winning it behind closed doors is obviously preferable to beawarded it. I’ve dreamt of the moment all my life, I have envisaged the images in my head. Seeing the absolute raw elation of Anfield, old lads crying on the Kop, the pieces in various news outlets, the cunt opposition fans finally losing that only stick to beat us with.

But this situation is absolutely extraordinary one, outside of wartime we we haven’t seen something like this. The possibility of the season counting for absolutely nothing, given the lads have put together one of the best League campaigns of all time, is absolutely gut wrenching and would be completely unjust. So, I will take it being awarded to us if that what it comes to, we’ve been phenomenal and this team deserves to go down in the history books, any cunt can stick that asterisk up the fat wife’s arse.

• Upvote 1

I get that some feel that we wont to win it on our own terms etc, but as an arl arse, I may not ever see us win the league again.  I will take it anyway we get it.

Fuck other fans, I argue with them anyway!!!!  They would all swap places with us if they could 

• Upvote 1

I'd prefer to win it over the 38 game season. But, I'll take it if we win it by some other means. We've practically won it anyway. Champions elect. 

I'm not arsed about opposition fans applying an asterisk either. If we win it over 38 games, they'd still try to find a way to delegitimise our title victory even if the coronavirus disruptions hadn't have occurred, as they simply can't bring themselves to admit that we've been the best team in the country by an absolute mile. 

• Upvote 2

Much as I’d love to win it with an “Aguero “ moment, the chances are we won’t be playing when we win it. I remember talking to a match going Utd fan in the late 90s and he said he had never seen his team win the PL whilst at a match. 

I’ll take it however achieved; no one can seriously say we don’t deserve it, wouldn’t win it if the season is completed. 

I want Sky, BT and MOTD to begin next season’s programmes with the PL trophy adorned with the red of Liverpool. 

I get a lot of the above comments. Over the past 30 years, I have dreamt so many ways that I would celebrate winning the league. 

Right now, it doesn't feel right celebrating wildly anyway, so if we win it in two months behind closed doors or some afternoon when it pops up on sky sports news, my response will be much the same. I will be happy we are officially champions, I will be happy for Jurgen and the lads, but I will be sad a lot of boss reds who died from this virus never got to see us become champions.

Only a dipshit would say we aren't champions with their asterix talk. The biggest thing it has taken from us is the joy of the win that will have been taken from us at this point regardless of what scenario we win it now. It's hard to go mental when family and friends are suffering. The dickhead opposition fans out there will no doubt be delighted with that. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, No2 said:

I honestly can't see there being a full season next season either, so we better take what we are given. If we are declared champions, and I think we will, it's because we deserve it. If everybody finishes on 29 or 30 games, or they do points average, we win it fair and square. Not how I wanted it, but there you go.