You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

If the Bundesliga restart and finish the season behind closed doors then there's no reason to believe the other 4 big leagues won't follow suit as soon as it's deemed safe to do so (probably 2-4 weeks after Germany). 

Fifa haven't agreed the extension of contracts beyond June 30th for nothing. 

Both FIFA and UEFA have accepted that this season can be extended. The Prem want to finish it and a lot of them will face bankruptcy or at least severe financial problems if they don't. The only people now talking about voiding it are crazed opposition fans, a few ex-players and club reps with a personal axe to grind and the sports media anxious to fill columns or airtime while nothing else is happening. 

There is no logical reason to think it won't get finished bar a second surge in the virus over the summer. 

• Upvote 2

Southampton have deferred pay for the playing staff until June. Now I'm not an accountant but I can't see a point in deferring unless football is actually played at some point, if they weren't expecting it to return soon then an actual pay cut would be more realistic. 

50 minutes ago, No2 said:

Southampton have deferred pay for the playing staff until June. Now I'm not an accountant but I can't see a point in deferring unless football is actually played at some point, if they weren't expecting it to return soon then an actual pay cut would be more realistic. 

It’s a cash flow decision.  They can’t implement a pay cut without the players agreeing so it’s not more realistic anyway.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

No matter what happens we just write 19 on the wall.  I don’t need anyone else telling me we won the league this year.  I know we won it anyway.

Nah.  Unless the trophy is in the cabinet then we didn't win it.  If the season is voided, then we aren't champions. It'll be horrible, but it's as simple as that.   

Someone explain to me why ferdinand ISNT a hypocrite?

He's everywhere saying the season should be null and void as it's the only right thing to do right now. But when one of his employers, BT, say they're cutting his punditry wage because the season he wants 'null and void' is suspended so cannot work, he's indignant and turning to expensive lawyers saying he wants full pay for the rest of the season and isnt paying anything back. Erm, Im confused!

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He's everywhere saying the season should be null and void as it's the only right thing to do right now. But when one of his employers, BT, say they're cutting his punditry wage because the season he wants 'null and void' is suspended so cannot work, he's indignant and turning to expensive lawyers saying he wants full pay for the rest of the season and isnt paying anything back. Erm, Im confused!

No need. He's a dick. 

It looks like the PL have agreed to help clubs' cash flow by making advance payments to them based on their current positions in the league. Which would be sort of stupid if there was any realistic chance of the season being voided. 

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He's not the brightest and is making himself look like an entitled buffoon.

Scholes and Gary Neville have come out of this well. Funny how it's the non mancs like Ferdinand and shaw that are the biggest dickheads with the void shit- oh and that shit brazilian full back. Playing to the audience.

I genuinely hate United but the hate is a football rivalry thing. When they were in their pomp with great players like Keane, Scholes or Ronaldo, I just thought fair fucks. They deserved to be winning titles. If the roles were reversed and they were 25 points ahead of us, I would have especially thought that and thought let's get champions league football and aim to sign some really good players. That fact seems to be lost on these dickheads. Like fuck Sancho goes there if they are in the Europa.

I think for the most part these pundits etc should have shut the fuck up and waited until we can get a better view of how bad this thing will turn out to be. It could get so bad that we don't see any football again this year. Making points for their own agenda is shitty. That Brescia owner and Brady before she backtracked being perfect examples of greedy horrible bastards. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/04/2020 at 15:02, Bjornebye said:

I said the same and got slaughtered for it on here 

That's because you're a cunt. Sadio Mané isn't, thankfully.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I think for the most part these pundits etc should have shut the fuck up and waited until we can get a better view of how bad this thing will turn out to be. It could get so bad that we don't see any football again this year. Making points for their own agenda is shitty. That Brescia owner and Brady before she backtracked being perfect examples of greedy horrible bastards. 

The government have handled this so badly when they actually had a head start on Italy and Spain. The numbers are still tragically high in Italy and Spain but at least they are beginning to come down. I think that our numbers will be far worse than those countries which is bloody scary. 

No way the league can restart until it is tasteful to publicly think about doing so. The authorities will also be mindful that when teams are doing well, whether it is us winning it or say Leeds getting promoted, it will lead to gatherings. The players will need a bit of time to get conditioned as well.

My gut is it will be back in July. If the Bundesliga starts back in a few weeks, it could be the end of June.

20 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The government have handled this so badly when they actually had a head start on Italy and Spain. The numbers are still tragically high in Italy and Spain but at least they are beginning to come down. I think that our numbers will be far worse than those countries which is bloody scary. 

No way the league can restart until it is tasteful to publicly think about doing so. The authorities will also be mindful that when teams are doing well, whether it is us winning it or say Leeds getting promoted, it will lead to gatherings. The players will need a bit of time to get conditioned as well.

My gut is it will be back in July. If the Bundesliga starts back in a few weeks, it could be the end of June.

I just hope they don't push to rush it back. It needs to be (In all walks of a life) a slow reintroduction. If all of sudden millions are attending football matches then it won't take long before deaths to get linked to it and it all to be shut down again. I can't see a full stadium in this country happening this year and if that saves lives then so be it. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I just hope they don't push to rush it back. It needs to be (In all walks of a life) a slow reintroduction. If all of sudden millions are attending football matches then it won't take long before deaths to get linked to it and it all to be shut down again. I can't see a full stadium in this country happening this year and if that saves lives then so be it. 

Business as usual at the Emptyhad then. I hope they play the matches in closed stadia even when the matches restart until there is definitely something in the way of either a vaccine or a treatment that lessens the symptoms. Football matches are way behind the lives of people involved in them.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Agree completely. When we win the league, think there will be a rush of people out celebrating and that could be a disaster for the authorities. That will impact on any decision on when to recommence it all.

Ferdinand is a fucking bellend. I watched that program about his wife dying of cancer and couldn't believe that he had the nerve to do it given the amount of women he banged while he was married to her. 

Not sure why her parents tolerate him on any level after treating their daughter like that. Then making out he is father of the decade by actually spending a little bit of time with his kids, meanwhile carrying on his pundit work while his in laws look after them. The odd cry for the camera then back to normal or a visit to a couple of other dads to make out he is a grounded individual. 

• Upvote 5