You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

No surprise here, fatboy Luke Shaw wants the season scrapping and started again. What, you mean restart the 2019 / 20 season from August 2020 or, scrap it and start season 2020 / 21 in August? I think we need to know Luke!

Manchester United defender Luke Shaw has risked the wrath of his own fans by claiming that the Premier League season should be declared void if it is unable to be finished soon.

With football in England currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic, there is uncertainty over what will happen with the remaining fixtures. 

United are currently in fifth place, and Shaw is adamant that the season should be scrapped if the games can't be finished in May, even if it means that his side miss out on qualifying for the Champions League. 

Speaking during a Combat Corona Twitch FIFA competition, Shaw said: ‘Scrap it and start again. Start it again yeah. It’s gotta be you know. If we can’t carry it on it’s got to be void.'

If the season was declared void it is likely that last season's standings would be taken into account when deciding European qualification. United finished sixth in 2018-19 so would face another season in the Europa League.  

If the season was scrapped it would enrage Liverpool, who are 25 points clear at the top of the table as they look to secure their first league title in 30 years. 

There have been suggestions that when it is safe to do so games could be played behind closed doors in quick succession, perhaps at neutral venues in the Midlands in June.

Shaw, however, stressed the importance of having supporters in attendance and said that it 'doesn't feel right' to play without them'. 

The 24-year-old experienced playing behind closed doors when United took on LASK Linz away in the Europa League last month. 

He said: ‘Fans are so important. You realise it even more [now]. I think the sport is for fans really, do you know what I mean? I think if you don’t have fans, and you don’t play in front of fans, it just doesn’t feel right. 

‘Especially on matchday the fans are always amazing and always help the team. Whether it’s home or even away, our fans are always brilliant and I feel like they’re always there with us.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8191345/Luke-Shaw-calls-Premier-League-season-declared-void-games-played-soon.html

Stopped reading after the first sentence...Every Utd fan on Twitter wants the season to be null and void even if it means being in the Europa and giving up the chance of the FA Cup

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

FIFA extend the season indefinitely. 

Is that pukka or twatter rumour? Any link as I cannot see anything. Mind, the news outlets are so focused on giving the club a kicking I doubt even news of voiding the season would be highlighted right now.

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Is that pukka or twatter rumour? Any link as I cannot see anything. Mind, the news outlets are so focused on giving the club a kicking I doubt even news of voiding the season would be highlighted right now.

51 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They have canceled the Open - that is in July and has a field of about 300 players/caddies. That is a much easier event to play "behind closed doors". That said it looks like the German teams are back in training.

The Open and Wimbledon were always going to be cancelled due to the number of foreign payers that would be in those events...

Imagine a  Wimbledon with just British players...Jamie Murray , Andy Murray , Dan Evans , Kyle Edmunds and erm that’s it.

6 minutes ago, Stickman said:

The Open and Wimbledon were always going to be cancelled due to the number of foreign payers that would be in those events...

Imagine a  Wimbledon with just British players...Jamie Murray , Andy Murray , Dan Evans , Kyle Edmunds and erm that’s it.

The players in the Open travel private jets - every single one could be tested the day before they left quite easily and the personnel needed on the course during play is minimal. It is actually a far easier example of the "World Cup camp" (the idea that has been floated as most likely for the league resuming) to pull off.

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The players in the Open travel private jets - every single one could be tested the day before they left quite easily and the personnel needed on the course during play is minimal. It is actually a far easier example of the "World Cup camp" (the idea that has been floated as most likely for the league resuming) to pull off.

I guess the fact most of the 200,000 tickets were sold plus the cost of the infrastructure to hold that many would have been the main reasons for cancelling and not holding it behind closed doors along with obviously how the virus pans out in the coming months 

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

I guess the fact most of the 200,000 tickets were sold plus the cost of the infrastructure to hold that many would have been the main reasons for cancelling along with obvious lute how the virus pans out .

The assumption was there would be no crowd - it is a comparison to when a resumption "behind closed doors" could happen in the league and what it would entail.

I said earlier in the thread that I didn’t find it especially outrageous given that the staff would still be receiving full pay (regardless of source) but I’m pleased that this decision has been reversed.

I still believe that far bigger businesses will use the scheme to furlough staff (without making up the 20%) but hopefully this can give someone, somewhere pause to consider whether the negative PR is worth trying their hand at it in the first place.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

Greg Rusedski and Johanna Konta would ultimately triumph for Canada and Australia respectively...

39 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I said earlier in the thread that I didn’t find it especially outrageous given that the staff would still be receiving full pay (regardless of source) but I’m pleased that this decision has been reversed.

I still believe that far bigger businesses will use the scheme to furlough staff (without making up the 20%) but hopefully this can give someone, somewhere pause to consider whether the negative PR is worth trying their hand at it in the first place.

So you were right either way then? 

Well played there.

A lad I work with is friends with one of the Oldham players, who has told him they are going to re-start their season in mid-May with a view to finishing it in June.

Also reports today that the Bayern players have resumed training.

19 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Greg Rusedski and Johanna Konta would ultimately triumph for Canada and Australia respectively...

She'd Tim Henman her way to the semis before losing a 3-setter to a walking stick.

• Upvote 1

In this difficult time I can’t remember if anyone has mentioned that null and void is the only option and we should just start a new season 

Premier League 'could lose £1bn'; while football's 'clubs and leagues in danger'

The Premier League could lose £1bn if the 2019-2020 season cannot finish - and English football faces "the danger of losing clubs and leagues" amid economic challenges "beyond the wildest imagination".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52191973