You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Very disappointing and yet more bad PR as a result of FSG's choices. I'd understand better if they took this step further down the line but is it worth it for the sake of 3 months worth of pay for non-playing staff? Stupid decision. 

Horrible decision by the club. Terrible pr and completely at odds with the decency of the management team and players.

If it was a small non league team or even a team that is in the shit financially, it is understandable, but from one of the biggest clubs in the world, words can't convey how angry I am with them.

They are great owners in many ways, but make no mistake they are a bunch of complete wankers. "It means more". Get the fuck you dickheads.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The moment Everton have been waiting for, a chance to put on the high and mighty cape!  

Say what you want about some of their knobhead fans, but this kind of shit wouldn't happen on Bill's watch imo.

I read a nice story of him phoning a lot of their older fans talking about games from yesteryear. I like taking the piss out of them as much as the next Red, but I couldn't picture John on his yacht with Linda phoning Bob in Speke to talk about memories of Anfield in the 40s or 50s.

Jurgen and the lads will be well fucked off imo.

Guest Alex_K

May be missing something, but the excerpt says they are taking '80%' of salary from the gov't job retention scheme (which goes up to 2.5k per month - so in real terms won't cover 80% of many/most of these staff) with the club paying the 'difference' so staff are still on 100%?

7 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

May be missing something, but the excerpt says they are taking 80% of salary from the gov't and paying the other 20% themselves, so staff are still on 100%?

Yes

The question is - should a company with plenty of funds be taking tax payer's money to pay their employees?

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

May be missing something, but the excerpt says they are taking 80% of salary from the gov't and paying the other 20% themselves, so staff are still on 100%?

So saving on paying out 80% of peoples very small wages and it needing public money to ensure these people receive a wage.

Disgusting

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

yeah but the 80% will come out of the tax payers pocket you and me. all above board but very poor decision.

I'm sure that the players would have willingly took a reduction in wages seeing as they can afford it and most have just been booting bog roll around their massive houses. It makes them look self centred and they probably weren't consulted.

A lot of the people are on low incomes such as catering staff and stewards so they are out of pocket until their claims are processed. 

Legally the club can apply for it as I'm sure there's big businesses who made more profit than the club last year but they aren't an organisation that are followed by millions around the world or in some cases the only thing people have in their lives. Just really bad PR from the club and the owners just look like leeches.

Guest Alex_K
13 minutes ago, M_B said:

Yes

The question is - should a company with plenty of funds be taking tax payer's money to pay their employees?

I think.

Ok - got it. In response to that then I guess the question I'd have is a) how much tax do the club pay? that's a question I have no answer to .. but if they are paying a lot in tax they could rightly argue they deserve support just as much as any other business this is designed to help & b) are they covering staff wages in the meantime while the gov't waits to pay out (for example I am doing this with my own employees). IF they are not covering any wages now while the gov't waits to pay out .. well that is a different matter entirely given their position ..

But in the same sentiment as a post further up the page, anyone who doesn't think that Liverpool F.C. as a commercial entity owned by wholly detached American hedge-fund owners is anything more than a business that leverages emotion to make more money is fooling themselves. It means more to local communities but as a business vehicle, its just what it is, and at times like this you see it for what it is.

p.s. we'll wait to see on the players' eagerness to take salary cuts won't we .. but if it is something they would 'gladly' have done as a collective I imagine they'd have done so by now. The European leagues have put the PL teams to shame in that regard (talking as a collective here .. no doubt there are some shining individual examples ..)

1 hour ago, devilsadvocate said:

Why won't it be finished? 

This wasn't my 'argument' but i believe now there is pretty much no chance it will be finished.

They stopped in early March with 9 league games left and 10 for some - plus cup and Europe.

They won't be starting again any time soon.

Let's say at the very best they could start end May/start of June (and that is being very, very hopeful) they will have been without games or proper training for nigh on 3 months - they'll want a couple of weeks at the least of a 'pre-season'...

Then they have to play 10 league games (maybe cup and europe for some) and get all that in before next season can start - keep in mind next season has no real wriggle room to run late due to Euros being moved to end of next season.

How are they going to get all that lot done in any kind of reasonable timeframe without it running into/fucking with the start of next season?

Add in all the agg around player contracts ending on June 30th, and the complications of even rolling them on and all that could mean.

New kit deals starting which are contracted and have massive advertising campaigns/launches etc planned tied to set dates....(for example are Nike just gonna let LFC lift title in NB gear when technically they are the kit suppliers on date it would happen).....

Oh and don't forget players/staff getting the virus and what that could mean if it happens.

They aren't gonna get this season completed - they'll have to scrap it IMHO and they'll buy themselves a fresh start in August - which is so much easier for all the factors that are involved.

TV money etc will fall under 'force majeure'

It's over.

Even the playing in June call I made above is probably very optimistic.

Looks to me that the best case scenario is we are in a continued lock down to the end of the month (more likely well into next month )

When that lockdown ends it is virtually guaranteed we will be told to follow social distancing for a prolonged period and to avoid travel. I can't see how it is possible that football can be played while social distancing is in place. Therefore looking at it i can't see a way any football can be played until mid July at the earliest at which point there is no way IMO it will be the continuation of this season.