You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

The Belgian decision is isn't a decision at all but rather a recommendation. UEFA have basically just thrown a "think long hard curve ball" at them before making any decision. They're right too, all european league's need to be on the same page and there isn't a rush to make any decision. What difference is calling a league off in April make compared to calling it May? 

UEFA have issued a directive \ plea to leagues not to cancel under threat of UEFA club competition places may not be ratified.

The PL is going to be pushed back and back until it's safe to play. People keep saying 'the money' but losing tens of millions per club is a big hit although Im pretty sure anything can be negotiated where there's the will power.

As you may tell, my confidometer has swung a little bit back towards completing the season!

33 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

UEFA have issued a directive \ plea to leagues not to cancel under threat of UEFA club competition places may not be ratified.

The PL is going to be pushed back and back until it's safe to play. People keep saying 'the money' but losing tens of millions per club is a big hit although Im pretty sure anything can be negotiated where there's the will power.

As you may tell, my confidometer has swung a little bit back towards completing the season!

Option A: play out the season when safe which is 99% likely.

Option B: the belgian approach. 

I'm good with both but do prefer a.

If PL teams concerns are genuinely about the crisis then we can just end the league now, the positions stand, the bottom 3 get relegate and European places stand as of now. It’s only fair after 3/4 of the season have gone.

I’m sure they will agree on this for humanitarian reasons. 

Premier League meeting outcomes: 

- Indefinite suspension, resuming when "safe & appropriate" 
- £125m advanced to lower leagues
- PL £20m to NHS & others to help on pandemic
- Clubs consult players on 30% pay cuts/deferrals & Saturday meeting involving PFA, PL, players & clubs

125m to the lower league to me feels a pay off. We'll finish the premier league, the rest will finish where they are and the pay off is to make up for the promotion going with the top 3 or something as it stands now. I wouldn't even be surprised if some sort of compromise would be 2 up 2 down, so there's one less place for PL clubs to lose. 

5 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I've just posted this rant below in the MF. I don't want us to furlough staff, however I fucking hate this moralistic stance that somehow football and footballers should be treated any difference to any other industry. It's fucking Tory shite. You working class boys who've made good, can you look after each other while we leave the old rich alone. 

I get annoyed with this shite like from Matt Hancock that premier League players should take a pay cut - it's just a distraction conversation to get away from the shite job these Tory twats are doing.

Are footballers the only overpaid people in the country? I'm not saying they shouldn't do it by the way. Football clubs have a relatively small playing staff and I would imagine a relatively small payroll, so a 10% "donation" from players during this period would make the world of difference, but I just don't see why they should be expected to because they're well paid, it should be their choice.

Others are not expected to carry the same burden - I don't notice them going after any of their Eton mates. Employees at these clubs pay their taxes. We see spurs have made a pre-tax profit of 80-odd million, so they'll be paying their share of taxes, both in terms of their corporation tax and their responsibility of an employer via payroll. They already "do their bit" by their current tax contribution. As do the players, imagine the millions in tax they must all pay. These Tory twats need to stop taking pot shots at working class fellas who've done well and get on with sorting this health and economic disaster. 

Getting his mate Jacob Rees-Mogg's company to return their £135m profit from the Caymans and pay tax on it would be a good start.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

125m to the lower league to me feels a pay off. We'll finish the premier league, the rest will finish where they are and the pay off is to make up for the promotion going with the top 3 or something as it stands now. I wouldn't even be surprised if some sort of compromise would be 2 up 2 down, so there's one less place for PL clubs to lose. 

I think the £125m is advance payments that the PL would make to the EFL at the end of a season plus things like parachute payments. Might be wrong though.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

I think the £125m is advance payments that the PL would make to the EFL at the end of a season plus things like parachute payments. Might be wrong though.

Oh right, so it's not new money? Fucking hell, some of them could get on this press conference with Matt Hancock, being fucking slippery with numbers lesson 1.  

Just now, Barry Wom said:

Oh right, so it's not new money? Fucking hell, some of them could get on this press conference with Matt Hancock, being fucking slippery with numbers lesson 1.  

There might be some new money in there, Im not sure but the bulk of it seems to be an advance payment. They might have to top it up later as well because advanced payments mean you dont have that money coming in later (obviously).

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

125m to the lower league to me feels a pay off. We'll finish the premier league, the rest will finish where they are and the pay off is to make up for the promotion

35 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It is over - this season will not be finished. Money is no object.

I don't understand why is it so impossible to play behind closed doors? Quarantine people, test them and keep them in quarantine. They are all supposed to sit at home anyway.

There will probably be no games with fans this calendar year, they might as well bite the bullet and begin preparing for the life with corona virus. Otherwise they will lose a year, maybe more.  

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't understand why is it so impossible to play behind closed doors? Quarantine people, test them and keep them in quarantine. They are all supposed to sit at home anyway.

There will probably be no games with fans this calendar year, they might as well bite the bullet and begin preparing for the life with corona virus. Otherwise they will lose a year, maybe more.  

It's not impossible but we need to remember the PL isnt a Sunday League game. There's two sets of players, managers, coaches, physios, match officials, tv crews and technicians if the games are to be transmitted, needed for every game.

I also think people are forgetting the players in all this. Personally, I think it's not right expecting players to play competitive and season defining games while we're all in this situation. Once this is 'over,' (and how do we even define that?) the players need to get a semblance of fitness.

Once all that is sorted, they can get games on. Personally, Id go to our home games if I could but I dodnt think that's going to be allowed even for the start of next season.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's not impossible but we need to remember the PL isnt a Sunday League game. There's two sets of players, managers, coaches, physios, match officials, tv crews and technicians if the games are to be transmitted, needed for every game.

I also think people are forgetting the players in all this. Personally, I think it's not right expecting players to play competitive and season defining games while we're all in this situation. Once this is 'over,' (and how do we even define that?) the players need to get a semblance of fitness.

Once all that is sorted, they can get games on. Personally, Id go to our home games if I could but I dodnt think that's going to be allowed even for the start of next season.

I get that, but most additional staff can observe social distancing if there are no fans. It would be tough mentally at first, but we will have to adjust, this is not likely to be over any time soon, most other people will be expected to get back to their lives and work next month or so. They will other play in special circumstances, or they will not play at all.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Nope.

The Saturday 3pm blackout has been lifted for the reason of the season, UEFA have confirmed.

The long-standing measure has been relaxed in order for any matches usually played at that time to be broadcast live on television.

Premier League games kicking off on a Saturday afternoon would now be able to be shown on Sky Sports and BT Sport.

The lifting of the blackout was confirmed by UEFA, following requests from both the England and Scottish Football Associations.

The rule is included in UEFA's regulations, but only applies to the few countries which have requested it. These include England, Scotland and Montenegro. 

The Times claim the move could be an indication that the football authorities are preparing to host matches behind closed doors in order to complete the current season.

Games getting underway at 3pm typically fall in either the top flight or the FA Cup, and ties from the latter may also be broadcast live by rights holders the BBC and BT Sport. 

The Times' report also states that all EFL matches could also be live streamed via ifollow, which is typically restricted on Saturdays to UK residents.  

A blackout across all the 3pm action on a Saturday has been enforced since the 1950s in order to ensure healthy match day attendances.

A previous report from the same publication suggested that the blackout was likely to be lifted if fans were no longer able to attend matches due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Leading sport broadcasters reportedly could be forced to air games free of charge, as the government attempts to avoid mass gatherings congregating in public to watch their teams in action when football resumes.

The top flight announced on Friday that the season would not continue until 'it is safe and appropriate to do so', and players at every club will be asked to take a 30 per cent wage cut to prevent a financial crisis. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8185883/Saturday-3pm-blackout-lifted-rest-season-matches-broadcast-live.html

Don’t know if it’s been put on here and I’ve not heard anything in the media about it. But just been speaking to a mate who’s a match day steward and the club have paid him upfront for the remaining games. Nice gesture. Let’s hope they don’t take the Daniel Levy stance with the full time employees. 

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

I'd guess they're making plans to play behind closed doors but not ready to announce it yet as it feels a bit inappropriate right now, and it's far too soon to even think about starting.  Plus I'm sure they'd rather play with some fans there so they're hoping spring will see a change to the virility of the virus and they might then be able to entertain the idea of having supporters attend at some point.  That seems a long way off right now though.