You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

I'm sure they could fucking slum it in a lower class hotel for a bit. When I worked in Cambridge I did an Alan Partidge and lived in the Menzies hotel on the A14.

Whenever teams would play Peterborough or Cambridge they would stay there. Wasn't a Premier Inn or Travelodge but it did the job. Plus they would be likely to have the place to themselves now and not stuck in rush hour traffic.

What size plate did you use at breakfast,  Doc ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Why? Do you want to bankrupt a majority of football clubs? Or do you expect all playing & non-playing staff to work for free also?

Also - and not related to the quote above - why is the line "If Liverpool & Manchester United are against it .." still trotting out as if relevant? The Independent article makes quite clear "95% of English game want 2019-20 season completed". Its a non-issue.

I said broadcast for free ie Sky and BT make it available for free on various platforms to support the wider community. I imagine Sky and BT have already paid the Clubs up front so I’m not suggesting Clubs should not then pay their employees as a consequence.

Guest Alex_K
2 hours ago, Wezza said:

I said broadcast for free ie Sky and BT make it available for free on various platforms to support the wider community. I imagine Sky and BT have already paid the Clubs up front so I’m not suggesting Clubs should not then pay their employees as a consequence.

Ok .. so who pays Sky & BTs employees & stakeholders, unless you want them to work for free (and their staff will not quite be on footballs salaries)? Or do the broadcasters have a money-tree to pluck from? There's a system in place for a reason - the 'big, bad broadcasters' can't afford to lose up to a £bn any more than the clubs can.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Problem is that the streaming stuff means even more money will go to the big boys than is already happening now. Football is becoming predictable enough without filling the coffers of big clubs even more. Streaming will do this unless there is a collective agreement,which I doubt once the Sky bubble bursts.

It doesn't have to mean more money to the big boys. The PL could run the station, not have individual clubs doing theirs and distribute cash under the existing model. The issue with this of course is they have no skill and experience in doing any of that and if something comes along that stops the football, well there's no income. I would be surprised if the PL go down this route in the next 10 years regardless of the covid outcome. 

“Then you would have to quarantine the same hotel staff for three or four weeks”

The ‘anti-bodies test’ will probably be available by then so there could be hotel staff they know aren’t going to have it. I imagine any staff that don’t belong to the club would be down to an absolute minimum anyway.

12 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Champions League suspended until further notice

i guess that Atletico result will eventually be null and void meaning we remain European Champions 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52121463 

Yeah bluenoses don't realise that. 

"haha league got voided you aren't english champions!"

"I know guess we will just have to enjoy still being european champions then"

"fucccchhhkkkiiinnnn mmeerrrddeerrerrrsss shiiiitteee"

Guest Alex_K

If the stock market continues to fall back through the floor, they can kiss goodbye to those multi-bn$ broadcast deals for the foreseeable. They will all  want the money now while they can still get it 

17 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The Edinburgh fringe festival has been cancelled and that was due to go on throughout August. I can't see live events taking place until 2021 at the earliest. 

I think they can happen, just not with people there to watch it live.

It looks now that the consensus way forward is to finish the current season at all costs, and perhaps the uncertainty of whether it would be possible to complete a full 20/21 has concentrated minds; even if Covid-19 wanes over the summer, a winter resurgence doesn't seem unlikely, so planning a smaller scale 20/21 would be prudent. As far as the Premier League goes, even a half-length season could probably be hashed out with the Sky, BT et al as long as the restriction on Saturday 3pm is temporarily lifted in order to let them fill their quotas.

37 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

It looks now that the consensus way forward is to finish the current season at all costs, and perhaps the uncertainty of whether it would be possible to complete a full 20/21 has concentrated minds; even if Covid-19 wanes over the summer, a winter resurgence doesn't seem unlikely, so planning a smaller scale 20/21 would be prudent. As far as the Premier League goes, even a half-length season could probably be hashed out with the Sky, BT et al as long as the restriction on Saturday 3pm is temporarily lifted in order to let them fill their quotas.

Half length season would play out how? All teams play each other once? Each team gets 50% home games? No domestic cups?

I truly hope we don't follow the example of scum clubs like spuds and Newcastle and furlough the salaries of the non-playing staff. I've truly been sickened by the premier League over this and as a club we need to take the moral stance and defer player salaries in order to pay the club staff. Asking the government to pay for the salaries of staff members while the club pays millionaire footballers their full wage is despicable.

• Like 1

I don’t see the problem with re-starting the League in say October and just no 20/21 season in full, half season, no cups whatever. Not fair to bin this one off when 75% done. 
I like a duckworth Lewis type thing, that would work but I bet it would take ages to thrash out. Might be worth having it in place for the future ??