You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Because this is the season that has been affected. 

Yeah if they could accommodate both by shortening the length of next season say by eliminating winter break or some pointless international friendlies, why wouldn’t they?

It's nearly always the English season that's the problem. And that's because there's too many games. This is a perfect opportunity to restrict the EFL Cup to EFL members. I honestly believe there isnt a PL club that really wants to be in it because they all play 2nd teams. FA Cup games, no replays from 3rd Round proper, 1st out the hat get's the advantage which to me, is the way it should be. Community Shield? Fuck it off and you've another 'free' weekend.

The international calender has been expanded by FIFA, UEFA and the rest of the confederations to suit their own agendas and the fucking players arent even theirs.

That fucking Nations league thing needs fucking off. Why do international managers need games to 'prepare' for actual UEFA and FIFA competitive games? They currently use the non event game to give some players a cap for being loyal. If everyone just goes straight into these games, everyone's on a level footing and no one has an advantage.

If an international manager doesnt know his best 11 and tactics, he shouldnt be the fucking manager.

And then they go and schedule a World Cup in the arse end of nowheresville when it's boiling hot so re schedule it for a December.

They want to introduce more games in the CL in a crowded season. Fuck that off. Honestly, it's not beyond the wit of man to fucking sort this out. Or maybe I give them too much credit?!

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

I’m very surprised Rio keeps going on about voiding the league anyone would think (not me no sir) that he wants to stay relevant and keep the money coming in 

Rio Ferdinand among BT Sport pundits facing no pay due to coronavirus lay-off

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-among-bt-sport-21775802.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Well, quite.

• Upvote 2

Realistically no definitive decision can be made at this juncture with so many things up in the air generally.

Basically the FA and Premier League will keep having to put the decision back a few weeks at a time until the overall situation becomes clearer.

If it gets to a date where they feel this years league will have to be stopped, I think the least controversial and costly method would be finishing the two outstanding games and then draw a line with the positions at that point with no relegation , allow Leeds and WBA up and re-shape next season depending on the time available and make a decision on how many to relegate at the end. This would leave possible actions from Man Utd  and possibly Wolves or Sheffield Utd ( depending on how SU's outstanding game goes re UEFA places ) and maybe the teams tussling for the Championship play-offs although their claim would be a bit tenuous in my opinion. Sky might complain and have to get some compo but I reckon they would probably prefer to get to next season as this years title is already sorted and they would in effect have about 90 games to pick from with only 4th place and a couple of relegation places of any interest.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The World Cup in winter is a one off - there is no need to prepare for it as it will never happen again.

The obvious and easiest solution is to call this season now. Every other option includes a major re-rigging of multiple associations and competitions.

No need to prepare?  So the 2022-23 season will be the same length of a normal season despite having a 6 week break? 

4 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

No need to prepare?  So the 2022-23 season will be the same length of a normal season despite having a 6 week break? 

There is no need to suggest two seasons need to be similar for the one off of the WC, which all Associations and Federations are already aware of and planning for.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

There is no need to suggest two seasons need to be similar for the one off of the WC, which all Associations and Federations are already aware of and planning for.

No, it would be a gradual process - moving start and end dates each years before it, and then shifting them back after it.

On 29/03/2020 at 19:37, Stickman said:

Harry Kane proving once again he’s a twat, thick cunt hasn’t realised if the league is cancelled then his goals will be chalked off....

Happy as well that this guy and De Bruyne are the only two City players I actually like 

You have to be sporting': Ilkay Gundogan says he 'would be ok' if Liverpool were handed Premier League title due to coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8164877/Ilkay-Gundogan-says-ok-Liverpool-handed-Premier-League-title.html

I wonder what Kane would think of cancelling the league if he had to hand 12 months wages back? 

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Realistically no definitive decision can be made at this juncture with so many things up in the air generally.

Basically the FA and Premier League will keep having to put the decision back a few weeks at a time until the overall situation becomes clearer.

If it gets to a date where they feel this years league will have to be stopped, I think the least controversial and costly method would be finishing the two outstanding games and then draw a line with the positions at that point with no relegation , allow Leeds and WBA up and re-shape next season depending on the time available and make a decision on how many to relegate at the end. This would leave possible actions from Man Utd  and possibly Wolves or Sheffield Utd ( depending on how SU's outstanding game goes re UEFA places ) and maybe the teams tussling for the Championship play-offs although their claim would be a bit tenuous in my opinion. Sky might complain and have to get some compo but I reckon they would probably prefer to get to next season as this years title is already sorted and they would in effect have about 90 games to pick from with only 4th place and a couple of relegation places of any interest.

Or wind the league back to the results after 28 games?

10 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I wonder what Kane would think of cancelling the league if he had to hand 12 months wages back? 

I dont usually have issues with Kane but I bet he wouldnt be spouting this shite if he was still in with a chance of the golden boot.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont usually have issues with Kane but I bet he wouldnt be spouting this shite if he was still in with a chance of the golden boot.

Course he wouldn't. Its only those with fuck all to gain who want it voided. 

I can't get excited about any of this atm. Like most people I guess priorities are elsewhere.  None of this will decided for weeks and probably months when we have some idea when sport can resume meanwhile I'm running out of fucking milk again

So essentially all of the reputable journos like Miguel Delaney are saying that no matter what there is a commitment the season will be finished. Uefa are giving their clear support to finding a solution (though the bbc's headline would make you think otherwise) and even the gutter press are no longer talking about voiding. Two huge sporting corporations in new balance and nike have essentially agreed a deal about which shirt is worn when we lift the title.

The only ones now talking about voiding the season are Joey Facking Cole, Captain Harry and Rio the wholesome family man. Oh yeah the knobheads on other forums.

The league will be completed in june/july but if this isn't feasible they will complete it in august/september. 

Miguel Delaney on Second Captains said the clubs will have to pay back around £790m to the broadcasters and lose a further £500m in marketing revenue if the league doesn't finish. If it continues behind closed doors the hit will be around £196m. Somewhere between £196m figure and £1.29bn is Karen Brady's change of heart.

• Upvote 1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Premier League faces losses of £1.2billion if the season is cancelled, compared to £169million if games are played behind closed doors... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PremierLeague?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PremierLeague</a></p>&mdash; Alex Miller (@alexmiller73) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmiller73/status/1244577378040496129?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 30, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Guest Alex_K
1 hour ago, No2 said:

Miguel Delaney on Second Captains said the clubs will have to pay back around £790m to the broadcasters and lose a further £500m in marketing revenue if the league doesn't finish. If it continues behind closed doors the hit will be around £196m. Somewhere between £196m figure and £1.29bn is Karen Brady's change of heart.

Yes, but what about pulling straws or multiplying the number of homes games by the number of away games, adding 2 points for a win 1 point for a draw and dividing by 10?

This season will be finished.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Which is no doubt why the Prem bosses have agreed not to refer to voiding the season but to talk about curtailing it. It'll get finished one way or another  unless the crisis takes a big turn for the worse.