You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Just now, Captain Howdy said:

Fuck Everton, who gives two sloppy farts what they think? You seem utterly obsessed with them mate, who gives a fuck about the insignificant turds? Stop banging on about them.

I'm not mate. I have Evertonian family members, mates and work colleagues who never shut up about Liverpool. I find their faux outrage on everything Liverpool related nauseating. Their bitterness has gone off the chart the last few years.  The same ones saying footy is not important will be the first ones saying they should organise a party to celebrate Liverpool winning the league.

I'm guessing that you aren't from the city and just see them as an Espanyol sized club who aren't our rivals.

Just now, Doctor Troy said:

I'm not mate. I have Evertonian family members, mates and work colleagues who never shut up about Liverpool. I find their faux outrage on everything Liverpool related nauseating. Their bitterness has gone off the chart the last few years.  The same ones saying footy is not important will be the first ones saying they should organise a party to celebrate Liverpool winning the league.

I'm guessing that you aren't from the city and just see them as an Espanyol sized club who aren't our rivals.

I’m from Netherley, my dads the bitterest blue you could ever meet, they don’t interest me, they’re fuck all

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Disappointing hearing Kane say enough is enough and the season has to be abandoned at end of June if not completed. What dont these dribbling eejits get that if it isnt safe at the end of June, it's not likely to be safe 4 and a bit weeks later at the beginning of August?

Funny how most people saying that the season should be voided are from clubs who have had shit seasons and the void would either save them from relegation (West Ham) or have no impact at all/nothing to play for (Spurs). 

He's also hinted at a move away from Spurs saying he wouldn't stay there forever if the club aren't moving in the right direction.

Why is voiding the season more "fair" than just stopping the season and making the results final?  You're hurting or helping some clubs either way.

Why is pretending the season never happened some kind of "moral" solution? I'm really surprised there isn't more talk of finalizing the results or using some kind of mathematical model to simulate the rest of the games, or something like that. But nah, let's just pretend nothing happened in football in England in 19/20, that'll solve everything. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why is voiding the season more "fair" than just stopping the season and making the results final?  You're hurting or helping some clubs either way.

Why is pretending the season never happened some kind of "moral" solution? I'm really surprised there isn't more talk of finalizing the results or using some kind of mathematical model to simulate the rest of the games, or something like that. But nah, let's just pretend nothing happened in football in England in 19/20, that'll solve everything. 

Because

Teams benefitting the season now

Liverpool 

Leicester 

Teams it makes no difference 

Chelsea

City

Teams on the losing side

Man Utd(good chance of catching Chelsea

Possibly Wolves and Sheff Utd

Teams benefit

Spurs

Everyone else will just be happy to avoid relegation dog fight 

A new 15 minute test has just been approved here in the States. My brother works for the company that makes it, Abbott Labs. They could easily give these tests to all players and staff at a stadium for behind closed doors games. It would be up to teams to keep players and staff virus-free. The physios could administer the tests so NHS resources aren't being used up. It's not ideal, but definitely doable, and money talks so I doubt the Premier League would pass on that.

1 hour ago, Mojo said:

A new 15 minute test has just been approved here in the States. My brother works for the company that makes it, Abbott Labs. They could easily give these tests to all players and staff at a stadium for behind closed doors games. It would be up to teams to keep players and staff virus-free. The physios could administer the tests so NHS resources aren't being used up. It's not ideal, but definitely doable, and money talks so I doubt the Premier League would pass on that.

It will be the emergence of tests like these that will make this feasible.

Keep the teams isolated away from the general public, and then give daily tests to the team and any staff that are present at the games. Under those circumstances, especially combined with a general lowering of the spread of cases by mid-June, and there's no reason that you couldn't hold these games behind closed doors.

Of course, that's a lot of ifs - IF the quick-result tests are widely available by then, IF the peak of the viral spread is behind us, etc.

40 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Seria A are having a meeting today, word on twitter is they might cancel the league and name Juventus as champions. With play off at start of next season for other places.

I’d be happy with that and I’m sure all the trolls on twitter will be as it will save all those lives they’re so concerned about 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Seria A are having a meeting today, word on twitter is they might cancel the league and name Juventus as champions. With play off at start of next season for other places.

Can't see that happening. 1 point ahead of Lazio and Inter not too far off either. 

The rate of new infections in Italy are down to 6%. Still a massive death rate but they are in or around their peak. We won't hit ours for a number of weeks.

I think they just like us will finish their seasons. They would also have massive commitments financially.

The plan that Miguel Delaney suggested seems feasible in June/July. World cup style camps run over 6 weeks. 

* one potential issue would be that we are two games from the most emotional title win the city will have seen. There may be a realistic concern among the authorities that this could be a major health and safety issue which could mean that this plan be pushed back a little further. Same issue would be if (when) clubs like Leeds get promoted.

I don't see how any decisions can be made without knowing what the picture is. No one knows how long these lockdowns are going to go on for.

I personally think that next season will have to be written off given the potential of this lockdown carrying on beyond the start of next season.

Don't forget players will need pre-season of some sorts before getting back into it.

I personally think that the season will have to restart towards the end of this year once this madness ends.

I’m very surprised Rio keeps going on about voiding the league anyone would think (not me no sir) that he wants to stay relevant and keep the money coming in 

Rio Ferdinand among BT Sport pundits facing no pay due to coronavirus lay-off

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/rio-ferdinand-among-bt-sport-21775802.amp?__twitter_impression=true

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why is that more logical than cutting this season short?

Because the following season (21/22) will be started early or truncated in some way because of the World Cup - better to get the seasons (and therefore players/clubs) in a pattern to prepare for it.

4 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Because the following season (21/22) will be started early or truncated in some way because of the World Cup - better to get the seasons (and therefore players/clubs) in a pattern to prepare for it.

The World Cup in winter is a one off - there is no need to prepare for it as it will never happen again.

The obvious and easiest solution is to call this season now. Every other option includes a major re-rigging of multiple associations and competitions.

There is absolutely no need to make a decision now. Things might be very different in May\June\July.

Cutting the season short will have financial repurcussions for clubs in all leagues, so it would be wise to wait until there is no alternative.

• Upvote 1