You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I don’t want it handed to us if the season doesn’t get finished. 

It's not the greatest way to get it as the players and manager who thoroughly deserve it and would have thought the Champions league parade was special would have been fucking amazed at the scenes with winning the league.

But go on Twitter to see how fucking toxic it is with people hoping the season it cancelled and you'll see why it if need be has to happen this way

Also pundits and ex-players like Keys , Ferdinand, Cole etc etc who are so agenda driven that even if we had won every game and couldn't be mathematically caught would still be saying "unfortunately for Liverpool if the league is cancelled then so is the title". 

I don't give a rats arse if any of them say it's got an asterix by it, it will be number 19 for me. Then go and win it again next season

• Upvote 1

If its voided then clubs will lose tv and sponsorship money and premiership finishing position cash. They can handle losing gate receipts, but many teams will collapse without that money. Same with the Champions League. And there will be legal challenges.

The best solution is to play out the season behind closed doors. If the government relaxes rules, then allow fans back in.

2 hours ago, Stickman said:

It's not the greatest way to get it as the players and manager who thoroughly deserve it and would have thought the Champions league parade was special would have been fucking amazed at the scenes with winning the league.

But go on Twitter to see how fucking toxic it is with people hoping the season it cancelled and you'll see why it if need be has to happen this way

Also pundits and ex-players like Keys , Ferdinand, Cole etc etc who are so agenda driven that even if we had won every game and couldn't be mathematically caught would still be saying "unfortunately for Liverpool if the league is cancelled then so is the title". 

I don't give a rats arse if any of them say it's got an asterix by it, it will be number 19 for me. Then go and win it again next season

Yeah this. It's a really poor second best decision, because I just want to complete the season. However, ultimately if they give it to us, the team and management and background staff will get the recognition they deserve. Not the way I wanted to win number 19 but we could lose all our remaining games 10-0  and still be champions. Everyone knows we would have been champions so who gives a fuck what dickheads say.

Anyhow, I would be shocked if they don't find a way to complete the season. A lot of it is dramatic clickbait headlines at a time when there is no sport. Money and power talk and Liverpool, United (and Leeds) are not Liverpool South. 

I don't see football starting again until June but they can and will complete the season.

After all the panicking over leagues 3-7 in divisions and teams most haven’t heard of being cancelled here is maybe some good news....

Coronavirus: FA wants Women's Super League season completed by August

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52056558

Liverpool are in the relegation zone so wouldn’t  mind that being null and voided....

6 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

How do they decide who goes into the Champions League and who gets the bulk of the money as 1st place gets a lot more money than the 4th place team?

If they revert to the previous years standings then Man City will go in 1st with the possibility of being banned due to being cheats.

The prize money pot would have to be voided too, no teams would get anything. Pretty sure the tv companies wouldn’t pay monies owed or due and that pot of money is shared amongst the clubs, each club receive equal shares from that pot and the rest is performance related. Huddersfield got 96m for finishing bottom last season. Maybe the relegation threatened clubs would agree to it being voided for the financial promises of staying in the Prem, but most clubs wouldn’t want to lose that sort of money. Even the Blueshite (received 130m last season) with there last accounts being so bad, losing that sort of money could be disastrous. The season will have to be finished, never mind all these cunts in the media and ex pros talking shite, money and TV will ultimately decide what’s happening. 

The twenty Premier League member clubs received a total payout of $3B (£2.46 at 1.21 exchange) for 2018/19. With a new three-season rights cycle kicking in it is expected that the overall payout will increase by more than $220M (£180M). 

What is really interesting is that domestic rights dropped by $484M (£400M) but the sale of overseas rights more than made up the shortfall. Foreign broadcasters stepped up and added $1.33B (£1.1B) to the pot over the three-year cycle.

However, there is a change in the allocation of the prize money for 2019/20. Up until 2018/19 any revenue from foreign rights were distributed equally over the 20 teams. Effective this new season equal distribution will be grandfathered to the 2016-19 level but the increase for 2019-22 will be allocated based on merit i.e. finishing position in the league. 

Although the Premier League formula will remain the most equitable of any of Europe's big leagues it won't be quite as equitable as before. 

It's all idle speculation at the moment.   Football will be back when it's safe to do so, until then it's not even worth thinking about 

Any notion of scraping this season and starting up again in June will be impossible anyway.   Normality ain't resuming for a long time. 

Much more important issues for everyone in the world right now. 

• Upvote 2

Well, on my swingometer of the season not being finished, Im around 85% positive (it will be). I might start to panic if it gets down to 50%. What would take it down to 50% or lower? The first major European league to say they'll scrap their season.

Despite the agenda being driven by some sports pages, I believe all the PL clubs do want to complete the season. Any dickhead at a PL club who wants it null and void clearly doesnt think of the wider implication it's going to have on their finances. They might think they'll be able to benefit and argue the toss but I think they're wrong.

Fans are clearly tribal. Those who want it voided are just the same who've gone on about LiVARpool and tainted title etc, etc. They dont care, they just see no team could stop us this year so, first, belittle it with the tainted stuff and now this virus is a godsend to them.

They dont give a fuck about clubs like South Shields, Barrow, Crewe or Coventry who top their respective leagues, it's pure anti Liverpool stuff. I read one manc celebrating leagues below the National League pyramid being voided because they see it as a means to achieve what they want. Speaks volumes about them than anything I could write.

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well, on my swingometer of the season not being finished, Im around 85% positive (it will be). I might start to panic if it gets down to 50%. What would take it down to 50% or lower? The first major European league to say they'll scrap their season.

Despite the agenda being driven by some sports pages, I believe all the PL clubs do want to complete the season. Any dickhead at a PL club who wants it null and void clearly doesnt think of the wider implication it's going to have on their finances. They might think they'll be able to benefit and argue the toss but I think they're wrong.

Fans are clearly tribal. Those who want it voided are just the same who've gone on about LiVARpool and tainted title etc, etc. They dont care, they just see no team could stop us this year so, first, belittle it with the tainted stuff and now this virus is a godsend to them.

They dont give a fuck about clubs like South Shields, Barrow, Crewe or Coventry who top their respective leagues, it's pure anti Liverpool stuff. I read one manc celebrating leagues below the National League pyramid being voided because they see it as a means to achieve what they want. Speaks volumes about them than anything I could write.

For what its worth, I don't give a fuck about Coventry either 

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don’t want it handed to us if the season doesn’t get finished. 

Pretty straightforward solution then - stay at home & don’t go to the parade, when it’s done don’t sing any songs next season, don’t praise any of the lads like Mane and Salah who have been put in some of the greatest individual PL seasons of all time to get us where we are. After all it’s all just been “handed” to us, right?. To be honest the idea that a title we were 1000-to-1 on with the bookmakers to win would have been “handed” to us after the boys put in a historic effort — which has been the culmination of many of their career efforts — is buffoonery at best and deeply insulting to the team at worst.  

Just now, Alex_K said:

Pretty straightforward solution then - stay at home & don’t go to the parade, when it’s done don’t sing any songs next season. To be honest the idea that a title we were 1000-to-1 on with the bookmakers to win would have been “handed” to us after the boys put in a historic effort — which has been the culmination of many of their career efforts — is buffoonery at best and deeply insulting to the team at worst.  

Yeah ok, you tell me how to support my team you fucking flannel.