You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

1 minute ago, redheart said:

I am more concerned now than I have ever been that the league will be cancelled.

However, if they cancel it the league can never have any legitimacy ever again.

The FA are already being threatened with legal action for cancelling the games further down the pyramid. Clearly people's health is the priority, but my gut feel is that they will still find a way to finish the season.

For the first time I feel like we aren’t getting this the longer this goes on I know in the big scheme of things it’s only football but i’s the odious rival fan bases and their holier than thou attitude when they bring Heysel up but will happily laugh at us not winning the league while thousands have died.

I honestly can’t see the champions league for next season going ahead as fuck knows when any country will open its borders which may be a get out of jail option for the FA to cancel it knowing no team will play in Europe .

• Upvote 1

Theres bigger things going on than this ffs but like I said the utter euphoria around liverpool having the title taken away from them when those cheating cunts down the road have 3 or 4 league titles in their pocket when it has been proven they have cheated in winning them is truly disgusting. 

The integrity of the league will be shot to bits if they fuck us over while at the same time city get to keep theirs. It appears this "anyone but Liverpool" mentality also goes beyond the fans.

If we do miss out I want the club to take legal action again the league and change 18 on the wall of champions to 19. The league might not give us the trophy but we are champions and the club need to acknowledge that despite what some suits say down in london.

This is why I said in the city thread why I was disappointed we'd joined other clubs asking for city's ban to be upheld. We're going to need allies, yes, even city, if this gains traction.

The story doesnt say which clubs are wanting to cancel and may be speculation.

A growing number of Premier League clubs reportedly want to abandon the current season, despite last week agreeing to extend the campaign indefinitely.

All football in England has been suspended until April 30 due to the coronavirus outbreak which has brought the world of sport to a complete standstill.

Now senior figures in English club football believe there is 'no place for sport at the moment', according to The Athletic.

You look at the people sitting around the Premier League table by Skype; their egos cannot sustain a mirror being held up to them,' they said. 

'The fact is they are not as important as a Tesco delivery driver at this time. We run a game. No more, no less.'

Liverpool need only two more wins to confirm their first league title since 1990 and hold a 25-point lead over Manchester City.

But plans to cancel the season - which would require the support of 14 of the 20 Premier League clubs - would scupper hopes of ending their 30-year long drought.

All leagues below the National Football League North and South have already been called off, while the future of the Football League and National League are shrouded in uncertainty.

One high-ranking club official added: 'It's absolutely clear what is going to happen. It's a worldwide pandemic.

You just start (the Premier League season) again and there are very few losers. Liverpool, I know. But in the grand scheme of things, honestly, it really doesn't matter. You've just got to start again.

'This (COVID-19) is going to get worse here (in Britain), so it's not about players returning to training. If we all stay at home and self-isolate for the next two, three months, we're going to get through this quite simply.'

The officials adds: 'We look like petulant, ridiculous children now. I passionately believe what we're doing is wrong.'

He fears it won't be feasible to play the final nine games of the league season, even in September, and believes the league campaign should end whatever the consequences, and a new one begun in the autumn.  

The next Premier League shareholders meeting is scheduled for April 3 with a new date for its comeback expected to be announced after officials accepted that, with the country in lockdown and players unable to train, April 30 is not a realistic prospect. 

The coronavirus death toll jumped up by 113 to 578 on Thursday in the biggest daily rise yet as officials confirmed 2,000 further cases. 

There has not been a game played in the English top flight since March 9 when Leicester City beat Aston Villa 4-0, with fixtures falling by the wayside in the last three weeks.

The first game to be called off was Manchester City against Arsenal on March 11, and then the entire league was postponed on March 13 after Gunners boss Mikel Arteta and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi tested positive for coronavirus. 

FA chairman Greg Clarke reportedly told the Premier League earlier this month he does not believe the domestic football season will be completed because of the pandemic, while West Ham vice-chairwoman Karren Brady has claimed 'the whole season should be null and void'.

Sportsmail revealed this week that broadcasters are exploring plans to televise all Saturday 3pm fixtures if the season continues behind closed doors. 

When the sport is permitted to recommence, there is a growing resignation that games will be played with no fans due to Government guidelines on social distancing. 

It is understood Premier League and EFL broadcasters, Sky Sports and BT Sport, have discussed the prospect of matches kicking off at 3pm on Saturday's available to watch as part of viewers' subscription packages.

An FA statement after last week's meeting read: 'The FA, Premier League, EFL and women’s professional game, together with the PFA and LMA, understand we are in unprecedented times and our thoughts are with everyone affected by COVID-19.

We're united in our commitment to finding ways of resuming the 2019-20 football season and ensuring all domestic and European club league and cup matches are played as soon as it is safe and possible to do so.

'We've collectively supported UEFA in postponing EURO 2020 to create space in the calendar to ensure domestic and European club league and cup matches have an increased opportunity to be played and, in doing so, maintain the integrity of each competition. 

'The FA’s Rules and Regulations state that “the season shall terminate not later than the 1 June” and “each competition shall, within the limit laid down by The FA, determine the length of its own playing season”.

'However, our Board has agreed for this limit to be extended indefinitely for the 2019-20 season in relation to professional football. Additionally, we've collectively agreed that the professional game in England will be further postponed until no earlier than Thursday 30 April.

'The progress of COVID-19 remains unclear and we can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.

'We will continue to follow Government advice and work collaboratively to keep the situation under review and explore all options available to find ways of resuming the season when the conditions allow.

'We would all like to re-emphasise that our thoughts are with everyone affected by COVID-19.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8159281/Premier-League-clubs-want-season-CANCELLED.html

The season will be finished if only because of the law cases pending if it doesn't. Not sure exactly how we get to that position although I think playing the remaining 9 games behind closed doors and in a short period (2 and a half weeks) is quite likely.

Just get it done

I think we (and football fans in general really) need to stop seeing both the coronavirus situation and football as one.

The arguments about 'putting peoples lives at risk' or 'there are bigger things happening around us' all hold their merit but that message applies to everything and not just a football season. Life, as we currently know it, is a bit mad at the moment and all our attention should be placed on keeping those around us and our communities safe. Football, is a separate matter and therefore should be discussed solely as a matter of postponement as nobody is suggesting this needs to be complete amidst a pandemic.

Other than financial and employment reasons, I see no issue with this being postponed until either winter or the following season (e.g. resume next year in Feb). Cancelling the season would mean that the FA/UEFA etc would resume a new season in Aug 2020 and at this moment in time we have no idea whether that's even realistic. If they did cancel it, what would then happen to next season? Further condensed games if the season were delayed? Surely you could argue this puts a lot of the 'winter break' work straight in the bin and compromises player safety?

I'd postpone it until it's safe to play and work the backlog of competitions out over the 1-2 years that follow.

They don't care about us winning the league etc.

What they do care about is their product forever dead in the water and countless lawsuits and big companies looking to get their money back and being bankrupted into oblivion.

Already the chairman of one of the clubs impacted by yesterday's decision is talking about a legal challenge (south shields). Can you imagaine when it's liverpool, leeds, bt, sky, etc knocking on their door.

The big leagues all seem to want to complete their seasons. Uefa have helped by cancelling euro 2020. 

It will be completed.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

What they do care about is their product forever dead in the water and countless lawsuits and big companies looking to get their money back and being bankrupted into oblivion.

Already the chairman of one of the clubs impacted by yesterday's decision is talking about a legal challenge (south shields). Can you imagaine when it's liverpool, leeds, bt, sky, etc knocking on their door.

The big leagues all seem to want to complete their seasons. Uefa have helped by cancelling euro 2020. 

It will be completed.

I agree with your overall comment. What Id say is this, some football owners even in the PL are not the sharpest knives in the box. They'll look at voiding the season so they stay in the PL for when the next season starts and hope to argue the toss about rescue packages or, doing a deal with Sky and BT so they dont lose too much money. After all, they probably think the Government will bail them out but, good luck with that one.

Must admit, that article is not one I want to see and the FA arbitarily cancelling leagues below National North and South is a major blow whichever way you look at it. Talk about draconian, no discussion, no debate, nothing. I find it hard to see how cash strapped clubs in these lower leagues could sue the FA, nice thought that it is.

But it's like I said elsewhere, Im pretty sure unless major European league join the chorus to cancel, this season will be finished.

16 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's an awful decision  for the non-league clubs, some of them had already won promotion and they've now had their promotions cancelled. If they're going to do it at that level they'll end up having to do the same higher up!

What a situation!

I think they plan to sort these clubs out with some jiggery pokery based on clubs that have gone bust. 

11 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I think it's inevitable now that the season will be voided. They've started at the bottom and I think political pressure will be put on to the FA, the Premier League, the EFL, and the broadcasters to just call it a day for this season and start fresh, even though the new season will still probably start late anyway!

The same will happen in the rest of Europe too, and that will give UEFA the confidence to pull the plug on the CL and the Europa!

Nobody is a winner here I'm afraid! Typical Liverpool luck over the last 30 years, but this is a whole new nightmare which obviously transcends sport!

The lower ledge stuff was cancelled because the bigger clubs can't afford to keep paying wages (contracts nearly all end soon), as you go down the pyramid, the players are paid appearance money, no play, no pay. But the bigger clubs have wage bills like a league 2 club. This is a financial decision to stop the bigger non-league clubs going bust. 

27 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

It will be completed.

It'll all be down to sky. Sky want 750m back if they don't finish the season. No club will be able to survive that, so the season will finish one way or another. 

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree with your overall comment. What Id say is this, some football owners even in the PL are not the sharpest knives in the box. They'll look at voiding the season so they stay in the PL for when the next season starts and hope to argue the toss about rescue packages or, doing a deal with Sky and BT so they dont lose too much money. After all, they probably think the Government will bail them out but, good luck with that one.

Must admit, that article is not one I want to see and the FA arbitarily cancelling leagues below National North and South is a major blow whichever way you look at it. Talk about draconian, no discussion, no debate, nothing. I find it hard to see how cash strapped clubs in these lower leagues could sue the FA, nice thought that it is.

But it's like I said elsewhere, Im pretty sure unless major European league join the chorus to cancel, this season will be finished.

Yeah fair point you make about the owners.  Brady is an example of that.

Though, I think a lot of them will recognise their club's future is at stake when it is written down in front of them.

I think they could do a world cup style tournament where they complete a lot of games in a short timeframe at a certain location. It wouldn't be too hard to organise for clubs and tv companies with the money they have invested in the product. 

I understand that the heads of serie a, ligue 1 and la liga are really driven to completing the season. I'm not sure about the bundesliga.

23 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

It'll all be down to sky. Sky want 750m back if they don't finish the season. No club will be able to survive that, so the season will finish one way or another. 

Yeah exactly this is the crux of it all. Clubs have spent their tv money so won't have it available to give back. 

Some interesting news from Pearce of the Athletic regarding NB and Nike.

Nike and New Balance 'reach agreement'

Nike are reportedly set to allow Liverpool to lift the Premier League title wearing their 2019/20 New Balance kit even if it is during the start of their own kit deal with the club.

This comes according to The Athletic’s James Pearce who suggests Nike will allow New Balance to be the kits worn during the historic moment.

Earlier reports had suggested the two sports manufacturers could be set to lock horns once more in a legal battle over the issue but this now looks as though it has been resolved.

The absolute best thing the club could do in the event they threaten to take it away is refuse to play in next season’s competition and start agitating for a European Super League. Man Utd would also probably be up for it, and suddenly the Premier League starts to look decidedly crusty without its biggest revenue drivers. Sky would want a lot more than £750m back; the value of the entire multi-year deal would halve at best.

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

I think playing the remaining 9 games behind closed doors and in a short period (2 and a half weeks) is quite likely.

Just get it done

9 games in 17 days? Around 94 games in 17 days for the Prem, Never mind the rest of the Leagues. Even if they’re behind closed doors, medical people will have to be on duty for every one of them games, which would amount to hundreds on duty at any one time whilst the NHS is struggling like fuck. And you think that’s quite likely? 

Lawsuits left, right and centre if the season is not completed. All the way from the lowest tier to the highest. The PL and football leagues will be left in ruin. Norwich for one would probably take it all the way to the Swiss if needed be. Those within a chance mathematically of qualifying for the CL would probably do the same. Same goes for the rest of promotion chasing and relegation battling teams all the way down. Promotion chasing championships team likely to be the most aggressive.

At least Neville is talking some sense and wanting it completed even if it means Liverpool winning it. Biased as he ofcourse is, his mindset is what if it was his team. What would he want. Hats off for that comment to the little inbred bastard.

1 minute ago, Johnlj said:

At least Neville is talking some sense and wanting it completed even if it means Liverpool winning it. Biased as he ofcourse is, his mindset is what if it was his team. What would he want. Hats off for that comment to the little inbred bastard.

Neville, for all his Manc-ery, is at heart a proper fan, not a social media points scorer.

Best way would be to complete this season, whenever it is possible (end Summer/autumn). Then start then next season after thisone is completed , whenever that is.. A possible solution would be to shorten the next season, even with the possibility of half the number of games i.e. each team plays each other once rather than twice.

24 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

9 games in 17 days? Around 94 games in 17 days for the Prem, Never mind the rest of the Leagues. Even if they’re behind closed doors, medical people will have to be on duty for every one of them games, which would amount to hundreds on duty at any one time whilst the NHS is struggling like fuck. And you think that’s quite likely? 

Doesn't matter how much you space out the games the same resources will be needed. At times like these needs must. I'm not saying it will happen next week but once some semblance of normality is resumed this is likely to happen to fulfil contractual obligations and clear the decks for next season.

If this fucking null and void bollix gains any traction. I want the club to pull out all the stops, take them to every single court available . Refuse to participate in future leagues push for European super league. These fucking cunts claiming “football is not important and it’s not right to even talk about it” are the same cunts celebrating this virus is stopping us from winning, absolute weapons.

• Upvote 2