You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

26 minutes ago, J-V said:

All football below National League to end

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

25 minutes ago, J-V said:

They better not do that in the Premier League.

Dont panic.

The National League will be aligned with the EFL if the rest of non-league football is scrapped this season to give clubs battling for the chance to move up to League Two the chance to win promotion legitimately. 

There are two promotion spots available in the National League this season due to the demise of Bury, with the result that as many as 10 of the 24 clubs are still in contention to join the professional ranks. 

Barrow have a four-point lead at the top and are favourites to win automatic promotion, but with four play-off places also up for grabs there is an understandable reluctance within the National League to simply void the season, which would lead to rows over who is promoted and potentially costly legal battles.

The National League is set to align itself with the EFL after talks with the FA this week

+4
  •  

The National League is set to align itself with the EFL after talks with the FA this week

There had been fears that the league would be voided amid the coronavirus outbreak

+4
  •  

There had been fears that the league would be voided amid the coronavirus outbreak

Following talks with the FA and EFL this week Sportsmail has learned that the National League will be treated differently from the rest of the non-league game and its fixture list be adapted to mirror that of the Football League, which is hoping to resume following a seven-week suspension at some point in May. The National League clubs have between seven and nine matches of a 46-game season left to play.

There was confusion earlier this week when it was reported that the National League was going to be cancelled, claims which now appear to be premature. A number of clubs are understood to have made a request to the FA that the season be scrapped due to the costs of continuing to operate and pay wages during the shutdown, but the proposal angered many at the top of the league due to danger that they could be denied promotion if League Two was not played to completion. 

With 10 clubs battling for promotion, voiding the season would have been a drastic decision

+4
  •  

With 10 clubs battling for promotion, voiding the season would have been a drastic decision

Barrow boss Ian Evatt insists that the season must be completed for the sake of fairness

+4
  •  

Barrow boss Ian Evatt insists that the season must be completed for the sake of fairness

As a result it has been agreed that the two competitions will be allowed and the National League will resume when the EFL does, although it remains unclear how the promotion issues would be resolved if they are eventually voided.

'I don't see how you can, in the interest of fairness, void the season when some teams in our league have only got seven games to play,' said Barrow manager Ian Evatt. 

'If this was halfway through the season or under, you can completely understand voiding a season. But we're talking about, from some clubs' perspective, seven games. Seven games away from completing the season. You cannot, you cannot, null and void it.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8156199/National-League-align-EFL-clubs-chance-promotion-League-Two.html

• Upvote 1

The fella from Marine was on Radio Merseyside earlier talking about it, said how hard its going to be for them etc but then said they should do it all the way to the top of football. Just stop it and start again. 

Fucking whopper. 

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's an awful decision  for the non-league clubs, some of them had already won promotion and they've now had their promotions cancelled. If they're going to do it at that level they'll end up having to do the same higher up!

What a situation!

Agree with you. It's a disgraceful decision.

The difference is money. It's not right but it's what the top leagues are all about these days. You can fuck over an eight tier team, but try doing that to Leeds, try doing that to Liverpool and oh yeah the red Mancs as well now they are chasing a champions league place, let alone a lot of other teams across the divisions. Most of all try fucking over bt and sky, as well as having to pay back all the fans etc...

Yeah barry from redcafe or maggie from bluemoon might think it's a great laugh, but you can be sure the glazers etc won't agree.

The country will go through hell over the next few weeks. However, at some point towards the end of May, the country will begin to operate again, albeit not at anywhere near it's usual capacity. Football will return at this point.

First time in all this I’ve been concerned that this could actually be taken away from us. I still think that the combination of money, the threat of litigation and the possibility of us (and others) threatening to set up  a European super league will push the PL into getting this season completed. I think ten prospects of us being elected champions are regressing by the day.

I shouldn’t care about this really at the moment, but I do. 

59 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

That may be our best hope now. 

I don't think there should be any worry about this, nearly anyone covering the game is saying the all the top leagues will be completed one way or another whenever that may be. There is always that nagging doubt though.

It's not the 7th tier and below in England that's going to determine this. It's whether all the major leagues throughout Europe remain committed to completing their seasons or not. They in turn feed into UEFA club competition so while that is still holding up, we'll be ok.

But if the first European league calls it off that will cause a ripple effect. I read a comment from a manc cunt in one of the sports comment sections and he was actively saying it was the 'best news' he'd heard in ages about the lower leagues being cancelled. We all know why and it wasnt anything about the death rate slowing down. What a cunt.

I think it's inevitable now that the season will be voided. They've started at the bottom and I think political pressure will be put on to the FA, the Premier League, the EFL, and the broadcasters to just call it a day for this season and start fresh, even though the new season will still probably start late anyway!

The same will happen in the rest of Europe too, and that will give UEFA the confidence to pull the plug on the CL and the Europa!

Nobody is a winner here I'm afraid! Typical Liverpool luck over the last 30 years, but this is a whole new nightmare which obviously transcends sport!

• Downvote 3

Guest Alex_K
3 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I think it's inevitable now that the season will be voided. They've started at the bottom and I think political pressure will be put on to the FA, the Premier League, the EFL, and the broadcasters to just call it a day for this season and start fresh, even though the new season will still probably start late anyway!

The same will happen in the rest of Europe too, and that will give UEFA the confidence to pull the plug on the CL and the Europa!

Nobody is a winner here I'm afraid! Typical Liverpool luck over the last 30 years, but this is a whole new nightmare which obviously transcends sport!

Must be going on 20 years now trolling Liverpool forums, isn't it? A life worth living.

39 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Must be going on 20 years now trolling Liverpool forums, isn't it? A life worth living.

Call it trolling if you want, that's your choice. We're in an ever changing situation which none of us have seen in our lifetimes most likely. Sport is a minor consideration at this moment in time whether we're 25 points ahead or 5 points behind!

I hope I'm wrong, I've not seen us win the league since I was a teenager so if it gets restarted and if we win it great! But this situation is going to last for months, perhaps until the end of the year, we just don't know yet. We could hit a downward curve on Covid-19 cases and then have a second and third spike, who knows?

There's every chance now that this season won't be finished, there's even an outside chance that the 20/21 season may not even happen. The precedent has been set lower down the pyramid with teams having their promotions cancelled so it's feasible that they could now decide to follow the same protocol higher up!

And I'll be honest, I don't want them to end the season and just hand us the league, I want us to have earned it! I don't want an asterisk next to it, I want it to be ours, no questions asked!

According to The Times, FIFA has drawn up plans to force players to remain at their clubs until the end of the season, whenever that might be. Question marks over whether it would be enforceable under UK employment law, but it’s hard to, personally, to see what practical difference that would make if the rest of the world were operating under the FIFA policy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/players-must-finish-the-season-at-their-clubs-fs58c6227

Under the heading “Expiring agreements (contracts) and new agreements”, Fifa states that while contracts normally run from July 1 to June 30, those dates are set in tandem with the timings of a football season. Indeed, that is “the true intention of all parties” when the contracts are drawn up.

It now proposes to extend all expiring contracts until the season ends, with new contracts delayed until the new season is under way. For players looking to move, perhaps for a lot more money, that could prove costly and there could be a legal challenge.

Nevertheless, the Fifa working party says that “priority must be given to the former club to complete their season with their original squad”. The same would apply to loan deals.

Clubs and their employees will be encouraged to work together, in some cases to avoid bankruptcy, by reaching an agreement on possible deferrals or a reduction in salaries. “Alternatively, all agreements should be suspended during any work stoppage provided an adequate alternative income . . .can be found during the period in question,” the document says.

Under “other issues”, Fifa also says that clubs will not be obliged to release their players for international football in June and July.

4 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

But this situation is going to last for months, perhaps until the end of the year, we just don't know yet. We could hit a downward curve on Covid-19 cases and then have a second and third spike, who knows?

There's every chance now that this season won't be finished, there's even an outside chance that the 20/21 season may not even happen. 

So what would be the point in scrapping this season? Do we scrap next season after 12 games?Maybe the season after we could scrap it after two games.

None of this shit makes any sense. 

Wait until it is safe to continue playing, then finish the season. Whenever that is. It makes zero sense to abandon a season you're three quarters of the way through in an attempt to start a new one. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

So what would be the point in scrapping this season? Do we scrap next season after 12 games?Maybe the season after we could scrap it after two games.

Wait until it is safe to continue playing, then finish the season. Whenever that is. It makes zero sense to abandon a season you're three quarters of the way through in an attempt to start a new one. 

That's part of my point though, this could take so long it could lead to 20/21 not even starting! The next football we see could be the 21/22 season!

They could run it like a world cup with teams playing a lot of games in a short space of time. 

They could even play it behind closed doors in somewhere like Singapore, which seems relatively safe at the moment.

They have made a balls of what they did yesterday and while I think the financial might of the premier league, sky and bt will see the season finished, it is concerning.

Guest Alex_K
4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

he has an illness

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 08.53.55.png