You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If this particular virus is still this kind of public health issue 12 months from now, no one will give a shit about football.

Agreed, but you were basically saying we should (or they authorities likely will) forget about the last 7 months and turn our attention to next season - but we won't care about that either if this gets as bad as we fear.  These are two separate points. 

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

Agreed, but you were basically saying we should (or they authorities likely will) forget about the last 7 months and turn our attention to next season - but we won't care about that either if this gets as bad as we fear.  These are two separate points. 

I didn't say that - I think they will cancel this season, award the title*, and throw some scraps to the lower leagues.

Then, if it is still an issue - who cares.

After that, VAR will be changed pretty dramatically, clubs will get a proper pre-season and then - SHOWTIME!!

Sky Sports now saying you can 'pause' you Sports channel subscription but you have to phone them. And because of the virus, they've reduced the number of staff in the call centre so good luck with that.

Oh, and apparently the Billing & Accounts team dont know anything about it and will take it to mean you want to cancel. You have to get through to the 'Value' team whoever they are!

39 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

And nothing. Just trying to clarify for @dockers_strike what he wasn't getting.

Erm Im not getting nothing. Go back to my original comments. I merely posited that players out of contract may look at the options when they are coming up to being out of contract with signing a short term contract.

Then someone chips in about weekly contracts which I never mentioned exceptin a reply to Dave saying the short term contract would likely be to the end of the season, whenever that would be.

Someone then chips in with saying if Im suggesting the league would prevent OOC players signing for others clubs that would be deep legal waters. Just where that person got that 'idea' from I dont know.

Then we ran through a couple of scenarios which the original interloper deliberately made obtuse. It's all easy to follow and it's the other poster who doesnt 'get' the thing.

I know there are bigger concerns but I can't helped getting riled by cunts who are demanding the season be cancelled so early without even bothering to wait a few months to see what the situation would look like then. Why cancel now when we might be able to resume the season in July? Unlikely I know but it looks like the Chinese league is restarting soon, around 3 months after the coronovirus first appeared there. I live in hope we might also be out of the woods in a similar timeframe.

14 minutes ago, Baltar said:

I know there are bigger concerns but I can't helped getting riled by cunts who are demanding the season be cancelled so early without even bothering to wait a few months to see what the situation would look like then. Why cancel now when we might be able to resume the season in July? Unlikely I know but it looks like the Chinese league is restarting soon, around 3 months after the coronovirus first appeared there. I live in hope we might also be out of the woods in a similar timeframe.

Loads of cunts are desperate for us not to win it even if it means that their own team suffers. Only because they will lose their last bit of banter against us. I swear some of them will actually have parties if the league gets voided even if it fucks their own club up.

I don’t know the rules precisely related to PL, but regarding the current Situation all players contract could be extended until the season is over.

I don’t see this as a big legal issue. Contacts end in June because the season end in may / June. If the season is extended , contracts too. 

it’s simple and down to earth , nobody could say the opposite.

• Upvote 2

This will all be over in abar 1-2 months with the odd case floating about here and there.

Season will be resumed with increased weekly fixtures.

Liverpool will still win the title.

West Ham will be relegated along with Villa.

Everton fans will have a nice time at the parade.

Also, fuck Howie, the scaremongering quim.

6 hours ago, Arnaud said:

I don’t know the rules precisely related to PL, but regarding the current Situation all players contract could be extended until the season is over.

I don’t see this as a big legal issue. Contacts end in June because the season end in may / June. If the season is extended , contracts too. 

it’s simple and down to earth , nobody could say the opposite.

*patiently waits for Howie to rise from his coffin for another round of inter web battles*

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mate -- not sure what you are on about here.

No out of contract player breaks their leg because you cannot play if you are out of contract.

Players take a gamble when they are playing while running their contract down in the last year so they can get sign bonus, better wage, different club whatever.

There is no chance a player would take that risk for a week's wages - which is what we are discussing.

As you say, they’re taking a gamble by running their contracts down. Would the gamble be any greater than in the final weeks of their former contracts (unless any clubs they had pre-contract agreements with told them deals were off if they didn’t sign when originally planned)?

2 hours ago, ``` said:

This will all be over in abar 1-2 months with the odd case floating about here and there.

Season will be resumed with increased weekly fixtures.

Liverpool will still win the title.

West Ham will be relegated along with Villa.

Everton fans will have a nice time at the parade.

Also, fuck Howie, the scaremongering quim.

I'm hoping so, there seems to be good news about developing a vaccine from four or five different countries which will stop the USA charging everyone extortionate prices. 

I've barely thought about the Atletico game since last Thursday and just want all this shit over with asap though.

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sky Sports now saying you can 'pause' you Sports channel subscription but you have to phone them. And because of the virus, they've reduced the number of staff in the call centre so good luck with that.

Oh, and apparently the Billing & Accounts team dont know anything about it and will take it to mean you want to cancel. You have to get through to the 'Value' team whoever they are!

I called up this morning to do this, it took me 50 minutes to get through.  They cancelled my Sky Sports subscription rather than paused it.  I suppose it depends on how long you have left on your contract with them.  I also cancelled BT sports, this was a 30 minute wait.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

*patiently waits for Howie to rise from his coffin for another round of inter web battles*

Good, I’m stuck home, bored. I go and pick my dictionaries as I’m old school and that book by Clausewitz.