You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Which clubs have players on week to week contracts?

What has length of contract got to do with it? You sign a £54m player on a 5 year £175k a week deal. He snaps his leg in the first week. What difference does the length of contract make? How does your out of contract player fair in the situation? i'll tell you, he's fucked because he's out of contract.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

What has length of contract got to do with it? You sign a £54m player on a 5 year £175k a week deal. He snaps his leg in the first week. What difference does the length of contract make? How does your out of contract player fair in the situation? i'll tell you, he's fucked because he's out of contract.

Umm, if he snaps his leg in the first week of his contract  - he is not then out of contract. He gets paid 175k a week for 4 years and 51 weeks. That security is the reason players prefer long term deals and do not run their contracts down.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Umm, if he snaps his leg in the first week of his contract  - he is not then out of contract. He gets paid 175k a week for 4 years and 51 weeks. That is kind of the reason players do not run their contracts down.

Which is my point, the incontract player gets paid and still has the club's support but you're talking about out of contract players.

So, two scenarios for you: If a player is out of contract and breaks his leg, how does he fair? How many clubs are now going to be 'sniffing around' your out of contract player who now has a broken leg? I'll wait.

Mate -- not sure what you are on about here.

No out of contract player breaks their leg because you cannot play if you are out of contract.

Players take a gamble when they are playing while running their contract down in the last year so they can get sign bonus, better wage, different club whatever.

There is no chance a player would take that risk for a week's wages - which is what we are discussing.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Mate -- not sure what you are on about here.

No out of contract player breaks their leg because you cannot play if you are out of contract.

Players take a gamble when they are playing while running their contract down in the last year so they can get sign bonus, better wage, different club whatever.

There is no chance a player would take that risk for a week's wages - which is what we are discussing.

Who said the out of contract player has to break their leg during a game? The out of contract player is disadvantaged compared to an in contract player who breaks their leg outside of football. His club will still pay him. Put simply, that was my premise facing players soon to be out of contract, do they sign a short term contract or not? The choice is theirs which Im sure with the help of their agents they'll reach whatever decision they want to make.

I'll also point out, I never mentioned weekly contracts except in reply to Dave where I suggested the period would be to the end of the season whenever that would be. Neither did I suggest league would prevent out of contract players signing for other clubs but knock yourself out. Again

Am I not being daft but is'unt the virus supposed to peak around May/June? How are the games going to be played. I see more likely July/August with the start of the next season delayed. You just need one player from one team to go down and it would scupper the whole thing. Possible solution would be to teams to play each other only once in the next shortened season?

There's no rule saying you have to have a break/pre-season between one season and the next. So you wouldn't have to delay the new season by much to make room for a month to finish off the current season. You could recoup a lot of the delay by binning international friendlies and the League Cup and the rest by juggling the start date for the 2021/2 season. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

There's no rule saying you have to have a break/pre-season between one season and the next. So you wouldn't have to delay the new season by much to make room for a month to finish off the current season. You could recoup a lot of the delay by binning international friendlies and the League Cup and the rest by juggling the start date for the 2021/2 season. 

Yep. If we need to start in October, start in October.

If we scrap this season, and the virus returns next February, do we scrap that season as well?

All the major leagues will complete their seasons, however long it takes.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Who said the out of contract player has to break their leg during a game? The out of contract player is disadvantaged compared to an in contract player who breaks their leg outside of football. His club will still pay him. Put simply, that was my premise facing players soon to be out of contract, do they sign a short term contract or not? The choice is theirs which Im sure with the help of their agents they'll reach whatever decision they want to make.

I'll also point out, I never mentioned weekly contracts except in reply to Dave where I suggested the period would be to the end of the season whenever that would be. Neither did I suggest league would prevent out of contract players signing for other clubs but knock yourself out. Again

I think the whole point is players won't want to sign short term weekly/monthly contracts just to play out the season as that will have an impact on them signing for anyone else thereafter in the event they pick up a serious injury

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

When sport comes back it will want to be with a bang, not a whimper.

The players are not going to get up off their couches after 8 or 10 or 12 weeks and start playing.

You will need a pre-season of at least a month.

Think it may be that they self-isolate at home and only come to the training ground over the next few weeks and then they are ready to go in possibly sometime in May. All clubs will be in same boat and it will be exhausting for the players but great to see a commitment to finishing the season.

Good news.

I think it will be behind closed doors in about a month. First of all, they need to finish this season before thinking about starting another with so much uncertainty about when this crisis will end, return etc. But we do know that it will end at some point in the next year with the vaccines, so it is not like outbreak of war etc.

Secondly, imagine what joy it will give everyone to at least watch live footie on TV again when we are all locked down with no bars, restaurants, movie theaters etc. The Premier League will get even bigger and more popular. 

5 hours ago, ManéMan said:

I think the whole point is players won't want to sign short term weekly/monthly contracts just to play out the season as that will have an impact on them signing for anyone else thereafter in the event they pick up a serious injury

So they don't sign, and? 

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

So they don't sign, and? 

Probably nothing tbh - other than teams playing games over a season that includes three windows - no one will care how it plays out. Which is kind of the point - it is over, in everybodys mind (for the title it has been for 6 weeks) and should start fresh next season.

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Probably nothing tbh - other than teams playing games over a season that includes three windows - no one will care how it plays out. Which is kind of the point - it is over, in everybodys mind (for the title it has been for 6 weeks) and should start fresh next season.

I don't see the benefit of that if they can't guarantee when the new season starts and that it won't be interrupted again. 

Sacrifice the last 7 months only to see it happen again, why risk that?   It makes more sense, basic common sense, to ensure the last 7 months go towards something before writing it off in order to pencil in a new 9 month season with unknown start and finish dates.

Edit - and no one cares, really? Every single player, everything single manager, every single member of the coaching staff, and at least 50% of supporters across Europe will care if the last 7 months are written off.