You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

What's this about if 75% of games completed the league might just end as is?. 

As it stands only 4 clubs have not completed 75% of games. The only club that's game matters is Villa's. 

Surely they could play that behind closed doors and end the season if needed in April. Sheff Utd could take 5th with a win but if you close the season you can give them the FA Cup spot. 

"In the event of a team withdrawing from the Competition before completing 75% of its fixtures for the season all points obtained by or recorded against such defaulting team shall be expunged from the table."

Liverpool have played 75%.

Hudson Odoi saying he's over the virus, Arteta saying he feels better already. Needs to be remembered these are generally fit and healthy footballers. If there are more confirmed cases of this virus amongst playing staff at clubs and if they recover quicker than us mere mortals, there's every chance the season will resume on or soon after 4 April. Whether that is in closed stadiums is another matter.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Hudson Odoi saying he's over the virus, Arteta saying he feels better already. Needs to be remembered these are generally fit and healthy footballers. If there are more confirmed cases of this virus amongst playing staff at clubs and if they recover quicker than us mere mortals, there's every chance the season will resume on or soon after 4 April. Whether that is in closed stadiums is another matter.

Was thinking that earlier. The problem is that the next 8 or 9 weeks will be mental and I don't see it starting on the 4th April.

My gut is that the league will recommence at the end of May/ early June. Teams will be playing three times a week and UEFA will try to finish the Champions League/Europa. Next season will start well in to September. Not a massive change to things.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im a pretty optimistic guy but all this talk of the title having 'gone' is really starting to grind my gears.

There are a number of options before us and yes, the title being lost is one of them. But, while there may be the odd voice here and there in football to trash the season, overall, I think the majority want a solution. That will either be  re starting the season at some date or, deciding final league places after 'round' 28 of the PL (in our case) when all PL clubs had played the same number of games.

Spot on indeed. They won’t void the season, the whole world has been put on hold. It will resume at some point , there are only 9 games to go.

And then they will figure out how to devise the next season. And it’s not an issue for the PL, it’s the same for every leagues.

The league is ours, it’s just a matter of time. Keep your fears and tears for the virus. 

4 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Spot on indeed. They won’t void the season, the whole world has been put on hold. It will resume at some point , there are only 9 games to go.

And then they will figure out how to devise the next season. And it’s not an issue for the PL, it’s the same for every leagues.

The league is ours, it’s just a matter of time. Keep your fears and tears for the virus. 

Be right, please - fucking please!

FSG’s time has come here. They will be using every inch of leverage they have with the broadcasters and authorities.

It remains in the interests of Sky, BT, the FA and UEFA to complete the season. 

United, Chelsea and Leicester will all want things to stay as they are or carry on. I don’t think many clubs will go for self-interest or bantz. 

There is no way any of the top 6 will want an expanded league next year so promotion and relegation need to be sorted. 

The season must be finished.

There’s absolutely no chance city are playing that game against us.  If it looks like the fixtures are going to get played then half their squad will mysteriously need to be self quarantined.  They’re the biggest small time cunts in the league.  There will be enough self serving clubs who will take this as an opportunity to screw us over never mind the ones in and out of the relegation zone who will try to take advantage of the situation.

Thinking about all this, a few things to consider. 

I’ve already stated that reimbursement of ALL tickets would most likely be required. 

Also, say for example both the PL and la liga decree their seasons as void, but France and Italy do not. How, would the CL and Europa League both continue?  

Would the fact that both English and Spanish authorities having said their seasons are void, mean that the teams still in both of them competitions would be allowed to compete in European competitions?  How could say, Man City and Barcelona be allowed to continue to play European games, but not play domestic games?  It’d be totally bizarre (and mostly likely challenged). And would uefa even allow it?  More importantly, would domestic fans, allow it?  

Say for arguments sake, it was allowed. It’d also give the teams playing regularly an unfair advantage.  We always hear about coaches and managers citing rhythm. How could you go a few weeks not playing, whilst your competitors are in competitive matches?  Ridiculous. 

If all leagues are voided.  What does that mean for the super-cup and the world club championship?  Do we play Chelsea again?  Do we represent Europe again?  So, it’s not only all the European leagues.  You also have to consider uefa and FIFA. 

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

If they void the league you can gaurente sky will be claiming that this season doesn't count for the contract they have. 

Should just cancel the Euros completely, play it again in 2024. 

I will be demanding my sky Sports and bt money back. 

It's behind a paywall but the haters are not going to like it!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2020/03/13/liverpool-set-given-premier-league-title-amid-coronavirus-chaos/

Liverpool are still likely to be crowned Premier League champions, even if the coronavirus crisis causes the season to be abandoned amid mounting fears it would be ­ impossible to complete it this summer.

As revealed by Telegraph Sport last month, there is no regulation governing what happens if the 2019-20 campaign is curtailed. But a senior club executive revealed on Friday night that there was little ­opposition to awarding Jurgen Klopp’s men their first English title for 30 years following what threatened to be the longest suspension of the professional game since the Second World War.

Leaders Liverpool are 25 points clear of second-placed Manchester City and two more victories for the Anfield club will give them the title. Such is the gap that there is no appetite among their rivals to deny them the crown....

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

I’ve already stated that reimbursement of ALL tickets would most likely be required. 

Out of curiosity what are you basing this on?

You paid to attend an event - the event happened.

Of course there is a case for refunds for games that may not get played - and direct subscription services affected - but the games that have been played? Don't think so.

Assuming the season can't be completed, they will need some mechanism to decide the entrants to next season's PL and CL. Voiding the season would imply a re-run with the same clubs as 2019/20.  

That would mean:

- Robbing the title from us

- Denying Leicester a nailed on place in the CL

- Denying United a probable spot in the CL (assuming City's ban is upheld) at the expense of Arsenal (5th place last year) 

- Denying Leeds and West Brom a £100m promotion windfall   

- Bonus year in the PL for Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich

Seems pretty unlikely that the above would be chosen over simply ending the season after match day 29. 

The only clubs with an incentive to support voiding are bottom 3, City/Everton (out of spite) and Arsenal/Spurs.    

I very much doubt City or Everton would want to void the league out of spite. I mean, their fans are obviously a pack of horrible cunts, but the clubs aren't going to embarrass themselves like that. Every fucker knows it's only right and just that we win this title, whatever else happens. Even if they "cancel" the rest of the league, whatever they do with the rest of it, we should be given the league trophy. As of now, I'm concerned the remaining games won't happen but I still fancy that, in that event, we'll be crowned champions. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Out of curiosity what are you basing this on?

You paid to attend an event - the event happened.

Of course there is a case for refunds for games that may not get played - and direct subscription services affected - but the games that have been played? Don't think so.

Dave succinctly captured my feelings, earlier in the thread

dunno mate, essentially they'd be saying that those games played were null and void and therefore don't exist in the record books. Well my bank statement says otherwise.

You can't have fans spending millions of pounds watching games that have consequence, and then 3/4 of the way through you fuck it off and say that none of it counts.

4 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

I very much doubt City or Everton would want to void the league out of spite. I mean, their fans are obviously a pack of horrible cunts, but the clubs aren't going to embarrass themselves like that. Every fucker knows it's only right and just that we win this title, whatever else happens. Even if they "cancel" the rest of the league, whatever they do with the rest of it, we should be given the league trophy. As of now, I'm concerned the remaining games won't happen but I still fancy that, in that event, we'll be crowned champions. 

Agreed - I was making a conservative estimate of the clubs that might vote for it. In practice, suspect the number will be much smaller (probably just bottom 3).

7 minutes ago, The Golden Eel said:

“Little” opposition though. Which implies there might be someone...

I believe it was West Ham and Spurs who were happy to void the season.  I am guessing Spurs would be hoping that it would be agreed that the same teams in Europe this season would be in again next season , and the Dildo Brothers are happy to use people's deaths to save their Premiership bacon.

As to the comment about City deliberately not playing us to fuck us up , I think they have basically conceded the league to us and are only worried about the CL , so can't see them doing that as they will want the season completed as much as we do.

@Madrid DiecinueveThere are a number of instances where seasons have been wiped out and no one got their dosh back. Nfl had a couple lockouts, the World Series was cancelled on year, the Stanley Cup another. Hell if anyone deserves their ticket money back it would be Juve fans for the Calciopoli shit.

In fact I don't think Italian teams refunded on tickets for the games they just played behind closed doors.

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Madrid DiecinueveThere are a number of instances where seasons have been wiped out and no one got their dosh back. Nfl had a couple lockouts, the World Series was cancelled on year, the Stanley Cup another. Hell if anyone deserves their ticket money back it would be Juve fans for the Calciopoli shit.

In fact I don't think Italian teams refunded on tickets for the games they just played behind closed doors.

I’ve paid upfront for competitive football, both at the match and through two subscriptions to watch via tv (sky & bt).  If this season is voided, I would want compensating for that. 

I can’t comment on the nfl and ice hockey situations. I have no idea of the context surrounding them situations.  Do they have season tickets like football?  

Was the World Series cancelled 3/4 of the way into the season?  Or was it prior to the season?  

I can't believe how much this is agitating me. How can it be that 9 games from the end and twenty-fucking-five points ahead of the rest that the title can be taken from us? This is truly blowing my mind. The injustice of this should it happen would be off the fucking scale (in sporting terms at least).

In the Mail now.

Drastic action is set to be taken if the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) ends the Premier League season completely, though Liverpool are reportedly set to be confirmed as champions.

Following the postponement of the campaign, till April 3 at the very least, big questions are now being asked regarding the possibility of being unable to conclude the English football calendar.

In bold and controversial plans, five teams could be relegated from the top flight and the EFL Cup axed completely in order to facilitate football when it resumes, as report the Telegraph.

Liverpool 'set to be given Premier League title' if season is ended now due to coronavirus... with a '22-team division set up for next season, FIVE teams relegated and EFL Cup axed' to make room for more games

Drastic action is set to be taken if the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) ends the Premier League season completely, though Liverpool are reportedly set to be confirmed as champions.

Following the postponement of the campaign, till April 3 at the very least, big questions are now being asked regarding the possibility of being unable to conclude the English football calendar.

In bold and controversial plans, five teams could be relegated from the top flight and the EFL Cup axed completely in order to facilitate football when it resumes, as report the Telegraph.

Liverpool are reportedly set to be confirmed champions if the Premier League season is axed

If Government projections over the spread of the virus prove correct, the football season would be pushed back to unexpected lengths, while there is is no regulation governing what happens if the 2019-20 campaign is cancelled outright.

So far there have been 798 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with 11 dead in the United Kingdom. Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and Chelsea forward Callum Hudson-Odoi have tested positive, though each are on the road to full recovery.

Premier League leaders Liverpool are 25 points clear of their rivals Manchester City in second, and two more victories for the Jurgen Klopp's men will give them the title. It is reported that no objection will come from fellow teams in the division to deny the Merseyside club their crown.

At the bottom end of the division, however, along with promotion up from the Championship, the waters become much more murky and contentious calls may have to be made.

It is reported that one proposal which may be placed on the table would be for the top two in the Championship, currently Leeds and West Brom, to be promoted and for 22 teams to compete in next season’s Premier League. 

The EFL Cup would hypothetically be postponed for one year to allow extra space in the fixture list and five clubs, instead of three, would be relegated at the end of the season.

Agreements would have to be made across the leagues, along with the governing footballing bodies, in order for proposals to be rubber-stamped.

The next matter would then be to address the Champions League. The competition itself falls under the jurisdiction of UEFA, though steps would have to be put in place in order to determine the qualification process for the next edition.

A reported idea suggests each of the English sides who qualified for this season's tournament would keep their places next season, while any additional sides currently making up the contention spots - including Leicester City, Manchester United and Wolves - would enter an extended qualifying phase.

FA chairman Greg Clarke has personally told Premier League chiefs that he believes the domestic season will not be completed due to the outbreak.

Clarke was in attendance at Friday morning's emergency meeting as the Premier League, EFL and the Women's Super League were suspended until April 3 in response to the worrying growth of coronavirus cases in the game. 

As reported by Sportsmail, Premier League clubs may even refuse to play when the season is due to resume next month because of widespread concerns about their players' fitness and the integrity of the competition.

Executives at several Premier League clubs have flagged a number of issues to Sportsmail, which they say may be enough to prevent football returning next month, even if public events remain permitted by the government. Their concerns include:

• The risk of more players contracting coronavirus during the shutdown given that personnel at seven clubs have already been infected - Arsenal, Chelsea, Leicester City, Bournemouth, Manchester City, West Ham, Brighton and Everton.
  • The need to protect the integrity of the competition by ensuring that all clubs return to action at the same time, which will be impossible there are more positive tests over the next three weeks.
  • The fact that there are 69 Premier League players out of contract on June 30, which raises further issues over sporting integrity if they have signed deals to move to other clubs.