You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

10 minutes ago, jacco maccaco said:

Some of these clubs who are allegedly asking for the league to be null and voided need to be careful of what they wish for

Surely a nil and void season would mean no PL prize money per team???

Take a team who has recently posted a large £112m loss and is at risk of breaching FFP, finishing I don’t know let’s say 12th would probably receive about £120m this year?

That’s a big amount to fore go

Or I’m just talking bollocks

Always a pleasure to see you back on the forum, JM.

41 minutes ago, Anubis said:

And to think rival supporters slate this guy. 

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
Jürgen

Just popped back on to say, you know I'm not a fan, but that's outstanding, well said you excellent man!

You deserve to be a title winning manager for that kind of attitude, and I'm really gutted that it's been taken away in such an unfortunate and tragic way!

Hope everybody on here is ok, even the cunts! Stay safe!

P.S. Piers Morgan can fuck off and rot the ubercunt!

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
5 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Like Pistonbroke I haven’t had a drink this year. Unlike him the reason is I’m in recovery. The message is not to isolate and go to lots of meetings! I’m a bit worried that once I’ve wanked myself half to death I’ll finish myself off with beer.

Good luck with that mate. Thankfully I haven't really been in such a situation, I've always been a big drinker when participating, don't see the point in half measures, but I've always been able to go weeks without one and mainly just indulged of a weekend. Hope you can get through things and find a situation which is good for both your own well being and those who care about you. You've gotten over the biggest hurdle already in the fact you are doing something about it, respect. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Those who want the league cancelled are not football fans or even sport fans. It's toxic one upmanship and bantz that's top of their priorities and nothing else. 

100%. You only have to read the shit they are posting. They'd shit themselves if they got a cough, but hard as fuck on the web. 

Titles gone hasn't it? If they do end the season and not hand us the title I'll be finished with football completely. I'd be fucking devastated worse than the slip. It seems like we are destined to never win the league but get so so close for it to be taken away at the last minute time and time again. 

5 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Titles gone hasn't it? If they do end the season and not hand us the title I'll be finished with football completely. I'd be fucking devastated worse than the slip. It seems like we are destined to never win the league but get so so close for it to be taken away at the last minute time and time again. 

Plus they cancel the football the day after we are knocked out the champions league. No wonder blues and mancs are giddy as fuck. At least until they are burying people they love and "bantz" no longer seems palatable alongside anybody giving a shit about titles or football.

I think they'll end up finishing the league at a later date depending on how this all shakes out over the next few weeks - 6 months. I could see them having a truncated season next term starting about a month or so after they finish this one. No idea how the CL and Europa would work themselves out because of the congestion it would all cause.

Voiding the season entirely is an option but I'm not sure how that works out legally for the clubs who've got a chance at promotion, CL places, etc. Whereas just calling the season over with at this point will piss off the clubs who have a chance gaining promotion, avoiding relegation, qualifying for Europe, etc. It's a logistical nightmare really. Personally I'm going to carry on expecting us to get fucked over here so it doesn't feel like such a massive kick in the balls if it happens.

If they stagger the start of next season and fuck off the FA cup and League Cup it's a piece of piss. Yes it's scary because it's a virus but it actually isn't the end of the world. Footy will return and we will win the league. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Plus they cancel the football the day after we are knocked out the champions league. No wonder blues and mancs are giddy as fuck. At least until they are burying people they love and "bantz" no longer seems palatable alongside anybody giving a shit about titles or football.

Exactly. I'm gutted if we lose the title when they can end the season and give it to us but this utter glee of Liverpool not winning the league in the face of a disease which could kill a massive percentage of the population is quite frankly disgusting.

My parents have health issues and if they caught this it would finish them off. My 86 year old grandmother is virtually in lockdown as it will definitely finish her and she suffers from COPD.

It's going to get much much worse. 

• Upvote 1

Liverpool's next match will therefore take place on April 5 against Man City, and if they win this fixture the gap between the two clubs will be too great for Pep Guardiola's side to amend.

Pep's got a cashmere medical mask. 

I really dont see how they void this season it will be a financial and legal shite show of epic proportions.there is no way next season would even start with all the legal stuff and pryramid system of the english game would collapse.The euros will get moved and rest of domestic games will be played out this summer.

6 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Exactly. I'm gutted if we lose the title when they can end the season and give it to us but this utter glee of Liverpool not winning the league in the face of a disease which could kill a massive percentage of the population is quite frankly disgusting.

My parents have health issues and if they caught this it would finish them off. My 86 year old grandmother is virtually in lockdown as it will definitely finish her and she suffers from COPD.

It's going to get much much worse. 

Know what you mean. Being in America I really only get the "footy bantz" on the internet but some of these people are absolute cunts. I get the worry about the parents too, My dad is 79 and a bartender (still expected to turn up to work tomorrow also. He's in good health for his age and has been off the biffs for two years now but this shit is certainly nothing he needs to deal with. My mother is 62 and has got a should surgery coming up. Lung wise she's fine according to her pre-surgery screenings but she's also a chainsmoker and has been for ages.

Then my grandmother is 100. Now again for her age she's in good health as hell, amazing even, but just the fact that this thing is out there is a fucking worry when it comes to her.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Im a pretty optimistic guy but all this talk of the title having 'gone' is really starting to grind my gears.

There are a number of options before us and yes, the title being lost is one of them. But, while there may be the odd voice here and there in football to trash the season, overall, I think the majority want a solution. That will either be  re starting the season at some date or, deciding final league places after 'round' 28 of the PL (in our case) when all PL clubs had played the same number of games.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Im a pretty optimistic guy but all this talk of the title having 'gone' is really starting to grind my gears.

There are a number of options before us and yes, the title being lost is one of them. But, while there may be the odd voicehere and there in football to trash the season, overall, I think the majority want a solution. That will either be  re starting the season at some date or, deciding final league places after 'round' 28 of the PL (in our case) when all PL clubs had played the same number of games.

Totally agree with this.

And perhaps if they see us mentally accepting it, they will do it. Resist the entire premise of the season being cancelled. They can get to fuck with that. The title is ours by right. 

6 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Know what you mean. Being in America I really only get the "footy bantz" on the internet but some of these people are absolute cunts. I get the worry about the parents too, My dad is 79 and a bartender (still expected to turn up to work tomorrow also. He's in good health for his age and has been off the biffs for two years now but this shit is certainly nothing he needs to deal with. My mother is 62 and has got a should surgery coming up. Lung wise she's fine according to her pre-surgery screenings but she's also a chainsmoker and has been for ages.

Then my grandmother is 100. Now again for her age she's in good health as hell, amazing even, but just the fact that this thing is out there is a fucking worry when it comes to her.

Where in America do you live?. Is it mainly the big cities on the east coast that has been affected?

The premier league should be putting this shit to bed straight away, stopping the rumours and toxic banter and say no matter what this season will be completed before a new one begins, regardless of schedule. Fans have paid money all season, clubs have invested huge sums, sponsors paid for a season, players contracts run down and another season in a short career gone alongside everything they have worked their arses off to achieve since they were kids plus bonuses on the line and this is in every single division. As pointed out the season starts and ends with the first and last games not from one certain date to the next.

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Where in America do you live?. Is it mainly the big cities on the east coast that has been affected?

Nah. It's pretty much everywhere and the only reason the case number isn't very high is because they are barely testing. Biggest known outbreak outside NYC is actually on the west coast. Washington State. 

What's this about if 75% of games completed the league might just end as is?. 

As it stands only 4 clubs have not completed 75% of games. The only club that's game matters is Villa's. 

Surely they could play that behind closed doors and end the season if needed in April. Sheff Utd could take 5th with a win but if you close the season you can give them the FA Cup spot.