You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Try not being a moron then and posting "West Ham and Spurs want the season voided .. apparently"  on a mass-read internet forum from some random guy in Ireland whose completely unsubstantiated twitter you've read. It took me 10 seconds to google that - why didnt you before just spreading misinformation for no reason at all?

Stop being so angry over a relatively innocuous post. I'm not entertaining your OTT tantrum anymore. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Surely there will be ‘act of God’ clauses in all this stuff. I guess a global virus would be classed as that. 

Possibly, but it's irrelevant though to my point.

Football will resume again at some point, whenever that is. When it resumes, the league needs to pick up where it left off because you can't start a new season without first completing this one.

If they try to do that, there are all manner of legal issues that will come from it.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

Football will resume again at some point, whenever that is. When it resumes, the league needs to pick up where it left off because you can't start a new season without first completing this one.

If they try to do that, there are all manner of legal issues that will come from it.

I was meaning returned tickets and all that shit. Even TV deals probably have that stuff written into it. Might make any lawsuit a nonstarter. 

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

Serie A and the Bundesliga are seriously thinking of not crowning a champion and to play with more teams next season so as to not relegate anybody and to promote teams who are in the position to be promoted right now. Doesn't mean that would work in England and you would hope that our massive points advantage would result in us being given the title whatever happens, but there are leagues discussing not ever finishing this season.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I was meaning returned tickets and all that shit. Even TV deals probably have that stuff written into it. Might make any lawsuit a nonstarter. 

I dunno mate, essentially they'd be saying that those games played were null and void and therefore don't exist in the record books. Well my bank statement says otherwise.

You can't have fans spending millions of pounds watching games that have consequence, and then 3/4 of the way through you fuck it off and say that none of it counts.

I'd want more than my season ticket money back. I'd want petrol, parking fees, shit I'd even want the £50 fine I got for parking in Maccies on County Road (although technically that was an FA Cup game, so I probably wouldn't have much of a case there).

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, dave u said:

I dunno mate, essentially they'd be saying that those games played were null and void and therefore don't exist in the record books. Well my bank statement says otherwise.

You can't have fans spending millions of pounds watching games that have consequence, and then 3/4 of the way through you fuck it off and say that none of it counts.

I'd want more than my season ticket money back. I'd want petrol, parking fees, shit I'd even want the £50 fine I got for parking in Maccies on County Road (although technically that was an FA Cup game, so I probably wouldn't have much of a case there).

Yeah, it’s grossly unfair for a number of reasons. It takes the piss and doesn’t seem necessary. 

Interesting analysis from BBC:

This is interesting from BBC:

Dan Roan, BBC sports editor

These are deeply turbulent times in English football - and across world sport - which is having to face up to a period of disruption and dislocation unprecedented in peacetime.

*Privately, all parties admit that resuming matches in early April - when the initial suspension will be reviewed - will be almost impossible.* 

But the hope is that next week a decision is taken to postpone Euro 2020 for a year, thereby freeing up space in the calendar to reschedule outstanding matches and complete domestic league seasons across the continent at some stage.

This action goes against the government's highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world.

But Department for Culture Media and Sport officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken, given the need to protect employees and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus.

*The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory.* 

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

Simply stopping the season as it stands now seems unlikely given it would run the risk of legal action from clubs relegated or denied promotion.

The EFL is expected to ask the government for financial help for some of the clubs who now face even more financial uncertainty but there is no guarantee this will be possible in these extraordinary times.

It could be months before it is completed (even early 2021) but the fact they didn't do anything daft today is a small victory. It's evident that they realise voiding the season would be a clusterfuck and it's better to do all they can to complete it before thinking of a new season.

The whole country needs to be on lockdown for the next 5-6 weeks bar essential staff. After measures like that are taken, we might come through the other side. Otherwise, if the stupid twats make decisions like letting Cheltenham go ahead, it could be years before things get better with a lot of people dying.