You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Guest Pistonbroke

We have to be realistic and realise this is a state of emergency and will be ramped up, even by the incompetent Tories at some point. We haven't even scratched the tip of the Iceberg yet, this will just go on and on well into this year at least. When you have no medication to combat things it will just remain a case of containing it until those medicines become available, something which could take anywhere between 12-18 months according to those who work within that area. 

This makes things look a bit rosier:

Word from the Premier League, following that meeting between all 20 clubs at their headquarters in London. “It was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time,” they say. The Premier League’s chief executive, Richard Masters, describes this is an “unprecedented sitaution” and adds: “Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by Covid-19. In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority. Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by academy sides, when it is safe to do so. In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I desperately hope your right. Im just building up the mental immunity for when everyone pisses their pants at our expense 

I haven't had a drop of Alcohol since New Years day, going shopping in a bit and I have added Cider and Jim Beam to my list, I'll be fucked if I'm going to die tee-total. Alcohol/Vibes/TV series/Films and biff the missus as much as possible are on the cards. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I haven't had a drop of Alcohol since New Years day, going shopping in a bit and I have added Cider and Jim Beam to my list, I'll be fucked if I'm going to die tee-total. Alcohol/Vibes/TV series/Films and biff the missus as much as possible are on the cards. 

You said you were rough, G - didn't realise it was quite that drastic.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, skaro said:

You said you were rough, G - didn't realise it was quite that drastic.

Hahahaha, just something I do now and again, always good to have a break from something. The loss of weight is a massive bonus. Off to physio now and to mingle with all the grotty cunts in the hospital (apart from the staff, they are ace.) 

Premier League : "Following a meeting of shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time."

Football Fans : "How can we expect things to resume on 4th of April when Boris Clown Johnson is encouraging herd immunity for the entire UK?"

Premier League : "Yes."

3 minutes ago, Trevorjc said:

If the players and staff for all prem clubs are isolated till April 3rd then remaining games can played behind closed doors with no risk to players or staff. Would not be ideal solution of course.

And their girlfriends, wives, kids, relatives, etc. If Johnson wasn't trying to force herd fucking immunity on us and had a similar response to so many other governments we might have had a chance, but don't think it looks good at all now.

Unless they really do go full on isolation. But what chances do we have of all Premier League players, managers and staff really doing that? I think it'll be a fucking miracle if we get the title now by playing to get the next 6 points.

19 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Whatever impact the suspension of football may have on the wider public isn't the point, it's about doing what is necessary to minimise the impact for the game's stakeholders (players, coaches, club staff, fans that go to the games etc). It's like if you have some mild flu-like symptoms and choose to self-isolate for a week or two. Whether you have the coronavirus or not, you are doing your bit to try and ensure you are less likely to either spread it or catch it. That decision may have little to no bearing on a wider scale but it's a pragmatic decision with clear reasoning.

Will depend on how they isolate the players and coaching staff from this point onwards.

Obviously it's impossible to stop the virus spreading in the general public, whilst life goes on for the millions - but Premier League playing and coaching staff are a relatively small and finite number of people - if all the squads and coaches are isolated as much as possible, it may be possible I suppose to have a situation in a few weeks where none of them have the virus/have been in contact with it and the games could at least be played behind closed doors - even if the situation in the country as a whole has got worse.

All of the players and staff will be crapping themselves about their families right now, just what the landscape will look like about a month we do not know. Many players might not be in the right frame of mind to want to play football if they are losing family members and I can totally understand that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Will depend on how they isolate the players and coaching staff from this point onwards.

Obviously it's impossible to stop the virus spreading in the general public, whilst life goes on for the millions - but Premier League playing and coaching staff are a relatively small and finite number of people - if all the squads and coaches are isolated as much as possible, it may be possible I suppose to have a situation in a few weeks where none of them have the virus/have been in contact with it and the games could at least be played behind closed doors - even if the situation in the country as a whole has got worse.

Yes, but as has been said you would have to maintain that isolation from their families, friends, other club staff, get someone to do their shopping, take their kids out etc etc... And that isolation would have to be done by everysingle player and over a period of weeks. I can't see the discipline being there, especially with the general message being given by the government.

No idea how this is going to play out, but it's more likely that players are going to keep self-isolating and therefore keep putting games off etc...

I dont see how the supposed info west ham and spurs wanted the season voided stands up. That wasnt even on the agenda of the PL metting which was to continue as normal or suspend the season.

Im only surprised the rumour didnt involve everton, united and city. But despite what people may think, I dont think there's any real appetite by clubs to void the season. And any dickhead fans of other clubs who want the season voided to stop Liverpool just ignore the plain and simple fact it's not just Liverpool affected.

As regards the season and next, dont forget next season, 2022, the World Cup is due to be held in December. Pushing the end of this season and beginning of next season out isnt beyond reasonable given European League need to be suspended in December for the WC. So, even if this season only resumes after June or even July, 8 or so weeks to finish the season, give the players a break, pre season and start the 2022 season October or November would fall in better with league suspension in December.

A more radical idea would be to start the 2022/23 season in January 2023 and the league season becomes Jan to September going forward.

Re-aligning seasom dates to fall in with 2022 world cup has been mentioned before on here, and seems to make sense too.

One interesting factor if we play on this season past the end of June would be what happens to players who are out of contract on 30th June...i suppose clubs will find a way to extend to whenever season ends?

Guest Alex_K
12 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just to clarify, here's the source of the Spurs/West Ham claims. 

'Ewan MacKenna'. A fucking scruff from Ireland with a neckbeard and a Wordpress site. People spreading every piece of stupid shit they read on the internet is every bit contagious apparently as Covid19.

Reading the PL statement, it doesn't sound like they're even entertaining the idea of voiding the league. Seems they're following government/health advice of containing it until save to play again. The problem that these clubs and sets of fans have is if they want this season void due to health and safety the likelihood of next season being equally void is also warranted. There's no end date of this and suspension is likely to be the better option with reshuffling fixtures rather than dealing with the shitstorm that would follow a null.

Guest Alex_K
5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Alright. Calm down! 

Try not being a moron then and posting "West Ham and Spurs want the season voided .. apparently"  on a mass-read internet forum from some random guy in Ireland whose completely unsubstantiated twitter you've read. It took me 10 seconds to google that - why didnt you before just spreading misinformation for no reason at all?

45 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

What a way to go!