You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Are you really this thick or is it just a default setting when losing the debate?

I'm done with you, you aren't capable of holding a debate without resorting to shite like the above.

You said in this thread you don't like Tories or Boris Johnson but like their reaction to this situation. I presume that's because they haven't postponed the football and I find that weird. I didn't pluck that out of thin air, it's in the thread. Fucking hell. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You said in this thread you don't like Tories or Boris Johnson but like their reaction to this situation. I presume that's because they haven't postponed the football and I find that weird. I didn't pluck that out of thin air, it's in the thread. Fucking hell. 

"You presume" and therein lies the problem.

Their what i consider measured and proportionate response so far is about a lot more than just football.

We talked specifically about football would you believe in a football thread on....wait for it....wait for it.....A FOOTBALL forum!

They've been guided by science - they've been clear in what they are doing and why, they've so far balanced things pretty well and explained it well. They've avoided knee jerk reactions which covers a number of areas - like for example schools, not just closing them and plunging millions of working parents into a childcare crisis....they've made some decent preparatory pledges around sick pay....

But yeah my praise of them is "just about the footy"

As i said earlier are you really this thick?

• Upvote 2

Reading tomorrow's papers on line, I get the impression the Premier League will decide to suspend itself from and including Saturday's games. I dont think they'll want a couple of teams falling 2 or 3 games behind the schedule as currently city, sheff utd, arsenal and villa are already a game behind.

43 minutes ago, an tha said:

"You presume" and therein lies the problem.

Their what i consider measured and proportionate response so far is about a lot more than just football.

We talked specifically about football would you believe in a football thread on....wait for it....wait for it.....A FOOTBALL forum!

They've been guided by science - they've been clear in what they are doing and why, they've so far balanced things pretty well and explained it well. They've avoided knee jerk reactions which covers a number of areas - like for example schools, not just closing them and plunging millions of working parents into a childcare crisis....they've made some decent preparatory pledges around sick pay....

But yeah my praise of them is "just about the footy"

As i said earlier are you really this thick?

General reporting seems to be that a) most medical experts think the British government's response is a bit shit and b) the government are planning on announcing stopping major sporting events shortly.

7 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

General reporting seems to be that a) most medical experts think the British government's response is a bit shit and b) the government are planning on announcing stopping major sporting events shortly.

Will most medical experts think that's a bit less shit?

17 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Haven't seen that response myself, but will takw your word for it.

Be interesting if and when they do stop them, because that then for me must surely mean even wider restrictions that will bite into peoples lives hard - use of public transport, taxis, people having to work from home, people not being allowed to work, schools, nurseries etc closing, pubs and clubs and restaurants and so on.

I did read mind you that an issue with events is around the deployment of medical services, ambulances etc that will/could be needed elsewhere....

It is nailed on now that league is suspended tomorrow....where it goes after that is anyones guess.

Gonna be really hard to see a time when games can be played given how many PL clubs staff are affected and the obvious knock on of quarantine etc even this early in the whole thing. It can only get worse in the short to mid term.

Just now, Herp McDerp said:

Whats Al got to do with it?

The much more pliable schleppers that our financial overlords are going to replace their human rank-and-file with.

Sorry, just indulging in a bit of pre-apocalyptic, Friday afternoon whatifery. 

I'll get me (red wine) coat.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

The more serious issue is peoples wellbeing clearly but if they void the season  when we are just 6 points from winning it with 9 games left im done with football. I'm not investing any more emotion into it or dealing with toxic twats anymore. 

Pretty much where I'm at. 

Can see Euro2020 being delayed for a year, so Premier League suspended until after the peak of the outbreak (we’re in the delay period currently, so probably 4-6 weeks?) has passed and then reconvened to run late and through into the summer.
I don’t think it’ll be scrapped, but nothing would surprise me to be honest.

5 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Can see Euro2020 being delayed for a year, so Premier League suspended until after the peak of the outbreak (we’re in the delay period currently, so probably 4-6 weeks?) has passed and then reconvened to run late and through into the summer.
I don’t think it’ll be scrapped, but nothing would surprise me to be honest.

It could be played out in a couple of weeks really in a month or two. Teams would just need to play Sat/Weds/Sat for a few weeks and get it over with. The issue will be a reduced break and no way of starting the league later next year with the Euros due. Its another year of non stop football and the shitty winter World Cup coming round in 2022 aswell. 

If its done that way we just need to get over the line and just tell the players they'll be getting plenty of rest and not playing games.