You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Professor Keith Neal

Emeritus Professor in the Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Nottingham

The plans are sensible. It's very easy to say more needs to be done, but there is little evidence to make any decision.

If people who might have coronavirus self-isolate based on fever and cough then this should limit the spread of the virus. What we know is that people are most infectious during the first week of symptoms.

Italy's lockdown is not the lockdown used in Wuhan – Italians are still going out and mixing. We need to follow what happens there to inform our decision-making for the next week or two.

It will be interesting to see how long the Italian population will accept the limited lockdown. They may have to do so for many months and people will get tired and not cooperate. Enforcement will not be possible as in China and Singapore.

Cancelling school trips and cruises will have virtually no impact on the functioning of society. Closing schools, however, has consequences. 

It might make the ability to manage the epidemic worse, with a reduction in health and social care workers who have to look after children and an increase in grandparents delivering childcare. 

At sporting events you are in close contact with eight people – and three of these are behind you so will be difficult to infect. If you close a ground fans may watch in a pub or with friends and more close contact might occur.

Guest Alex_K

25% of the population in Italy are 65 or over; they've got a median age of around 48 (10 years older than the US!). As of today many of those dying are in their 80s or 90s. This is an awful horrendous terrible time -- but the one-upmanship in this thread at people trying to out-guess the others is really bad. The elite-of-the-elite in medical services are setting the plan for this country; its going to be better for all if they can calm down and follow the official word as its released, not invent their own versions based on what they are reading in their own echo-chamber version of Twitter.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Professor Keith Neal

Emeritus Professor in the Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases, University of Nottingham

The plans are sensible. It's very easy to say more needs to be done, but there is little evidence to make any decision.

If people who might have coronavirus self-isolate based on fever and cough then this should limit the spread of the virus. What we know is that people are most infectious during the first week of symptoms.

Italy's lockdown is not the lockdown used in Wuhan – Italians are still going out and mixing. We need to follow what happens there to inform our decision-making for the next week or two.

It will be interesting to see how long the Italian population will accept the limited lockdown. They may have to do so for many months and people will get tired and not cooperate. Enforcement will not be possible as in China and Singapore.

Cancelling school trips and cruises will have virtually no impact on the functioning of society. Closing schools, however, has consequences. 

It might make the ability to manage the epidemic worse, with a reduction in health and social care workers who have to look after children and an increase in grandparents delivering childcare. 

At sporting events you are in close contact with eight people – and three of these are behind you so will be difficult to infect. If you close a ground fans may watch in a pub or with friends and more close contact might occur.

Exactly what Klopp was saying the other day and exactly what happened with the PSG fans last night.

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm a little mad that @an tha (the moron in question, and he is a gigantic moron) is pissed at us possibly having a title voided. Some things are bigger than football. One of those things is health. Health is all we've got. It's literally the most important thing in the world. So a little perspective on that would be nice, although I do get the frustration as a fellow fan. 

But that's not my point. What I'm actually mad at, is people downplaying this disease. It is an unprecedented health crisis, and you've got people like an tha posting stats that are not in context and that show a lack of empathy for what is going on. These people, besides the actual plague, are a figurative plague at the moment and they need to be told they are stupid. 

Getting your argument straight would lend it a touch more credibility.

Firstly what started these exchanges was you responding to my post where i called the PL's decision to go ahead as planned with games this weekend 'good news' by saying 'it wasn't' and adding nothing else to that comment.

I then asked you if you went work, did things normally do etc and i commented how some people AND I ADDED NOT NECESSARILY HERE were spreading hysteria about this virus...

You proceeded to call me part of the problem.

You then decided to try and make out i was making disparaging comments relating to/about situation in Italy and Iran - comments you back tracked on when challenged by me, and then went on a negging spree.....

The facts strongly suggest 90% of people who contract this virus will suffer mild symptoms and a mild illness they will recover from....sadly it will kill a number of elderly and ill people, this is of course awful and of course hugely important, it should not be under played and i doubt any decent person would.

Our government guided by it's experts have today updated us all as to their plans/given their advice - that advice at that time did not call for events to be called off, or for people to be banned from attending....it did of course make a number of points we can all follow to help the situation and frankly you and I arguing about it on here wasn't one of them!!

I got the nark and called you a shithouse and a blert- i shouldn't have done that and i apologise. Emotions are running high.

I make no apology for my stance in the debate though.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, an tha said:

Getting your argument straight would lend it a touch more credibility.

Firstly what started these exchanges was you responding to my post where i called the PL's decision to go ahead as planned with games this weekend 'good news' by saying 'it wasn't' and adding nothing else to that comment.

I then asked you if you went work, did things normally do etc and i commented how some people AND I ADDED NOT NECESSARILY HERE were spreading hysteria about this virus...

You then decided to try and make out i was making disparaging comments relating to/about situation in Italy and Iran - comments you back tracked on when challenged by me, and then went on a negging spree.....

The facts strongly suggest 90% of people who contract this virus will suffer mild symptoms and a mild illness they will recover from....sadly it will kill a number of elderly and ill people, this is of course awful and of course hugely important, it should not be under played and i doubt any decent person would.

Our government guided by it's experts have today updated us all as to their plans/given their advice - that advice at that time did not call for events to be called off, or for people to be banned from attending....it did of course make a number of points we can all follow to help the situation and frankly you and I arguing about it on here wasn't one of them!!

I got the nark and called you a shithouse and a blert- i shouldn't have done that and i apologise.

I make no apology for my stance in the debate though.

I told you why it wasn't a good idea for the Premier League to still be going on. Events where loads of people are in the same area are dangerous right now. Almost every country, except the UK, seem to agree. I don't care that it's more dangerous for people to be on public transport or in pubs than in a stadium, that's a different issue altogether. 

Yes, I went to work. I have no choice. I don't have the option of working from home and I have to take public transport. 

You have been posting numbers to downplay the situation. Saying there are only 6000 deaths. We're 4 months in and the ICU's in a developed country with excellent healthcare are crawling with people. That is a disaster, yet "derp, derp, only 6000 deaths, derp", yeah what about in a couple months when the US will be completely fucked, Not to mention the UK, France and Spain? Everyone is saying this, multiple experts, not some nutjob posting from his bunker. Yesterday, you compared it to the Swine Flu. Do I need to remind you how dumb that is? It's astronomically dumb. 

By the way, the "mild symptoms" as described by China go as far as to include Pneumonia. That's in the WHO report. Now most people won't get that, but get pneumonia and then tell me how "mild" that is. 

You don't have to apologize for your stance, you just have to realize the severity of the situation and stop saying the world's reaction is "laughable". Maybe try that for a start. 

40 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

The club should just award themselves a title. Who fucking cares if anyone else acknowledges it. Draw it on the wall.

Exactly - whether it is officially recognised or not - we have won it.

By a fucking landslide... with, at 27-1-0, the best performance in the history of top flight English football.

We have done it in unprecedented style.  

Official or otherwise, we are the champions. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I told you why it wasn't a good idea for the Premier League to still be going on. Events where loads of people are in the same area are dangerous right now. Literally every country, except the UK, seem to agree. I don't care that it's more dangerous for people to be on public transport or in pubs than in a stadium, that's a different issue altogether. 

Yes, I went to work. I have no choice. I don't have the option of working from home and I had to take public transport. 

You have been posting numbers to downplay the situation. Saying there are only 6000 deaths. We're 4 months in and the ICU's in a developed country with excellent healthcare are crawling with people. That is a disaster, yet "derp, derp, only 6000 deaths, derp", yeah what about in a couple months when the US will be completely fucked, Not to mention the UK, France and Spain? Everyone is saying this, not some nutjob posting from his bunker. Yesterday, you compared it to the Swine Flu. Do I need to remind how dumb that is? It's astronomically dumb. 

By the way, the "mild symptoms" as described by China go as far as to include Pneumonia. That's in the WHO report. Now most people won't get that, but get pneumonia and then tell me how "mild" that is. 

You don't have to apologize for your stance, you just have to realize the severity of the situation and stop saying the world's reaction is "laughable". Maybe try that for a start. 

There is as stated by the government and their experts little risk in people attending sports events - a key factor in them not banning people from attending them.

There has been less than 5,000 deaths worldwide to date - that is just a statement of fact, nothing more nothing less.

It is also a fact that 90% of reported cases to date have been classified as 'mild illnesses' and the recovery rate is very high. Again just facts - as things stand.

Based on these facts as things stand - i do believe that there is a lot of hysteria, a lot of it media driven and i do believe that many measures implemented to date have been an overreaction and not proportionate to where we currently are - our government to the horrible twats credit have in my view acted sensibly, calmly and in a measured manner.

It remains a fluid situation and i'll take my guidance from them and the healthcare experts not from you.

By the way do you know how many people died from Swine Flu?

53 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

But that's not my point. What I'm actually mad at, is people downplaying this disease. It is an unprecedented health crisis, and you've got people like an tha posting stats that are not in context and that show a lack of empathy for what is going on. These people, besides the actual plague, are a figurative plague at the moment and they need to be told they are stupid. 

Contextually and proportionately, I reckon people were shitting themselves far more about The Plague, for instance - and that was back in the days when they could still write it off it as God being displeased with them.

EDIT:  Anubis beat me to the plague, but there's room for two on that boat.

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

We're so good they need a virus to stop us. Fancy us to win it next year as well. 

The oil cheats are really, really hurting by us having the temerity to not only stand up to them but to batter them this season....they are gonna throw their filthy lucre around like no ones business to get back on top again, and competing against that is going to be extremely tough.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

There is as stated by the government and their experts little risk in people attending sports events - a key factor in them not banning people from attending them.

It remains a fluid situation and i'll take my guidance from them and the healthcare experts not from you.

Yes, your government and your experts, vs. the other governments and experts around the world who clearly don't know shit then. Because they've pretty much all banned massive public gatherings.

Not a fan of Tories and Boris Johnson, I'll bet, but they aren't touching my football, so now I'm a big fan of what they're doing. Utterly bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, your government and your experts, vs. the other governments and experts who clearly don't know shit then. Because they've pretty much all banned massive public gatherings.

Not a fan of Tories and Boris Johnson, I'll bet, but they aren't touching my football, so now I'm a big fan of what they're doing. Utterly bizarre. 

Are you really this thick or is it just a default setting when losing the debate?

I'm done with you, you aren't capable of holding a debate without resorting to shite like the above.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2