You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Marca are saying that there's going to be an imminent announcement that the Champions League and Europa League will be suspended. 

We just need to go the same way and see how the land lies in a few weeks, and a few weeks after that and so on.  But, the powers that be also need to close every mass gathering, school, concert, London Underground - what's the point otherwise? 

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

But to be 6 points away from winning the league and just nulling it. That's not a fair solution. We've worked hard for it, paid millions in wages, fans paid a fortune for tickets. Players a year older contracts shorter with nothing to show. Potential Promoted sides losing out on millions upon millions. 

Bear in mind although papers and fans of city, united and everton are running with this null and void bullshit, it's not just Liverpool it would affect. So city want to win the CL to stick it to UEFA over their ban, how's that going to work if the CL is abandoned? United lose their chance of qualifying for next season's CL via the Europa league or PL? Yeah, some of their fans might take that to stop us being Champions but the club itself?

What about teams in the Championship, League One and Two, the National League all on the verge of promotion? Sorry, lads, it's just hard luck but your season counts for nought?

And like Ive said before, are they stopping people going to the shops, work or the pub? I just think its hyped up scaremongering.

19 minutes ago, an tha said:

Just a matter of time before suspension happens here:

Sporting events in the Republic of Ireland are to be hit by new restrictions imposed by government in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar advised that outdoor gatherings of over 500 people, and indoor gatherings of over 100, should be cancelled until 29 March.

The measures are likely to affect the GAA inter-county league season and the upcoming League of Ireland fixtures.

The restrictions will take effect from 18:00 GMT on Thursday.

Shouldn't have any impact on the League of Ireland then.

ba_dum_tss_pirates_band_of_misfits.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

If you put it to the fans, you'd easily find 14 clubs willing to void the season. And most of them would do so to deny Liverpool the title, so I understand your concern. However, it won't be put to the fans.

I honestly dont think you'd find a majority of fans at 14 PL clubs would want the season voided to stop us.

The thing is, the virus is not going away - it will continue to spread. 

Realistically all of these strategies will need to be in place until they create a vaccine.

Certainly it does not make sense to "finish" this season in August as the next one will be affected too.

Get ready for the asterisk.

Suspend the leagues for a month. If we can't restart after that then take last seasons results and apply those to the remaining games. Substitute the relegated teams with the promoted teams. Not perfect, but would get the job done.

1 hour ago, Red House said:

Obviously different organisational bodies, but there is a very very recent precedent of a season having to be abandoned. The 2019 Chilean premier division had to be abandoned due to the civil protests. Universidad Catolica, who were leading by 13 points with six games to go, were awarded the title. No teams were relegated, the league was just expanded for the next season.

You know what I was thinking that last night. Give us the title and expand the league for next season. Seems like common sense.

• Upvote 1

I actually think going out of CL will be a blessing in disguise for our tilt at back to back PL titles. It now looks as if the competition will be dragged out into summer . City who will be our only challengers next year will have to keep their players match fit longer this year. We on the other hand two more wins seal the deal then majority of first team off on extended break until start of next season.  Just get the trophy lifted and play the kids for rest of season.

43 minutes ago, Butch said:

Just freeze the league till it can resume. Too much money at stake. 

Yup. If resuming it means we will overrun into the 2020/21 season then so be it. If that happens, the 2021 season can start literally one week after finishing this one. The players won't get a summer break but who cares, they'll have plenty of rest while the league is suspended. 

29 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Yup. If resuming it means we will overrun into the 2020/21 season then so be it. If that happens, the 2021 season can start literally one week after finishing this one. The players won't get a summer break but who cares, they'll have plenty of rest while the league is suspended. 

Seems reasonable.

I think voiding it might be enough for me to be done with football full stop. What’s the point in investing time and money in something of this nature if the only solution to a crisis is to void it and render all that came before pointless? You’d have to be foolish to give a shit about next season, because it might well happen again. And who knows what might strike again in future?

There are pragmatic ways to resolve this; even playing this season in tandem with the next, should it go ahead, would be reasonable. Cancel next season’s domestic cups and friendly internationals and there’s easily time.

• Upvote 2

If we ever had a cricket game rained off we would just retire to the pub and lay out the felt and play test match cricket the roll the ball down the Shute version. Record everybody’s score,phone up the paper with the results job done.

I've made peace with the prospect of the league getting cancelled. 

It's not a definite outcome but I wouldn't discount it. I'd guess it's definitely one of the options being considered. 

And, I'm not arsed in the grand scheme of things. Disappointed, if it does happen, but it could all pale into insignificance if/when we start getting mass deaths.