You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

My biggest concern is that if this comes down to a vote and voiding the season is an option, then that's the option almost every club will go for. Hopefully common sense will win and that is not an option. Or the daft idea of having a playoff against a team 25 points away from the top.

14 minutes ago, Baltar said:

My biggest concern is that if this comes down to a vote and voiding the season is an option, then that's the option almost every club will go for. 

Would they? What would happen to all the prize money, the CL places, the promotions, etc? 'Voiding' a whole season isn't a simple action - it would leave the next season in chaos.

42 minutes ago, Baltar said:

My biggest concern is that if this comes down to a vote and voiding the season is an option, then that's the option almost every club will go for. Hopefully common sense will win and that is not an option. Or the daft idea of having a playoff against a team 25 points away from the top.

Why do people keep saying the void the season thing i can't see the clubs going for that too many factors for that surely

46 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Won’t be an option, won’t be a play off, the season will be finished at some point. Probably by playing behind closed doors as planned.

So govt likely to move to 'delay' phase.

The delay phase aims to lower the peak impact of the virus and push it away from the winter season - when pressures on the NHS are more acute because of issues including seasonal flu.

So that means potentially a peak say in late April/Early May.

Question then is if there are problems getting games done now in the current phase - ala Man City last night, and there are more postponements, then what is the chance of games taking place at this later peak stage?.....plus any backlog.

Just frigging suspend the season, move the Euros to 2021, and finish the leagues and cup competitions 6 weeks later.  If we're still not allowed to attend football matches come early-mid May then surely we're all doomed anyway. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Baltar said:

If you put it to the fans, you'd easily find 14 clubs willing to void the season. And most of them would do so to deny Liverpool the title, so I understand your concern. However, it won't be put to the fans.

36 minutes ago, Moo said:

Just frigging suspend the season, move the Euros to 2021, and finish the leagues and cup competitions 6 weeks later.  If we're still not allowed to attend football matches come early-mid May then surely we're all doomed anyway. 

Klopp will be entitled to have a little dig at how he was accused of disrespecting competitions because he wasn't giving 100% to everything, yet here we have complete paralysis about how to proceed because everyone is behaving as if their competition is more important than everyone elses, thus 'disrespecting' everyone elses competition. The postponement of the Man City-Arsenal game should be the tipping point. 

So if the season gets voided do we still remain European Champions with another crack to win the World Club Cup again?

And if so would that mean Utd who's fan's (apart from you know who) seem to be the one's trolling the season to become void aren't in the Champions league again as they finished 6th???

I could kinda live with that if I had to

3 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Klopp will be entitled to have a little dig at how he was accused of disrespecting competitions because he wasn't giving 100% to everything, yet here we have complete paralysis about how to proceed because everyone is behaving as if their competition is more important than everyone elses, thus 'disrespecting' everyone elses competition. The postponement of the Man City-Arsenal game should be the tipping point. 

I'm just hoping that "they" think now is not the best time to suspend while the numbers are pretty low as it would mean more matches to fit in later.  Maybe they're trying to get to the international break, eke out 10 more days then make a decision.  Here's hoping. 

It still wouldn't make much sense to play behind closed doors in the meantime, and not take other similar steps elsewhere, though - that's unfair on players, supporters, clubs with troubled finances etc and football / sport as a whole. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, TheBitch said:

I’ll show my arse in Heebies window if the season gets voided. It’ll be delayed if anything. 

Truth be told I’d probably show my arse in Heebies window anyway. 

Be honest, you have already.

Obviously different organisational bodies, but there is a very very recent precedent of a season having to be abandoned. The 2019 Chilean premier division had to be abandoned due to the civil protests. Universidad Catolica, who were leading by 13 points with six games to go, were awarded the title. No teams were relegated, the league was just expanded for the next season.

I can't see the season finishing behind closed doors. As soon as one player or staff member gets the virus games will be postponed indefinitely. We're really looking at either finishing the season early or postponing until the summer at the earliest. Cutting things short and leaving the cup competitions undecided will be a major headache so surely they'll postpone the Euros and finish the club season in the summer...

Can't see any end to this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51853524

This is what is gonna happen all over now...some player or staff member at club or somebody associated will test positive for it and club/s have to go into quarantine....will happen multiple times and make playing games impossible.

Then there is a huge backlog of games, then there is the peak of the outbreak to come which will come just as backlog of games need to be played and season due to end...so no way gonna get finished anytime in the forseeable.

Italy and Spain talking about null and voiding the season so I'm told by a random dude,  if that's the case then the prem will be the same. Just take a points per game ratio  and apply it too the last games. The league will be the same but at least it's a palatable way to just end it.

It's shite.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Italy and Spain talking about null and voiding the season so I'm told by a random dude,  if that's the case then the prem will be the same. Just take a points per game ratio  and apply it too the last games. The league will be the same but at least it's a palatable way to just end it.

It's shite.

There's no point in a points per game ratio, like you say everyone will just end up in the same position they are now, games in hand notwithstanding. 

I'd argue Pools Panel but that seems unfair too as it won't allow for end of season dogfights and upsets. 

Hope it doesn't come to that either way. 

Just a matter of time before suspension happens here:

Sporting events in the Republic of Ireland are to be hit by new restrictions imposed by government in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar advised that outdoor gatherings of over 500 people, and indoor gatherings of over 100, should be cancelled until 29 March.

The measures are likely to affect the GAA inter-county league season and the upcoming League of Ireland fixtures.

The restrictions will take effect from 18:00 GMT on Thursday.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

There's no point in a points per game ratio, like you say everyone will just end up in the same position they are now, games in hand notwithstanding. 

I'd argue Pools Panel but that seems unfair too as it won't allow for end of season dogfights and upsets. 

Hope it doesn't come to that either way. 

But to be 6 points away from winning the league and just nulling it. That's not a fair solution. We've worked hard for it, paid millions in wages, fans paid a fortune for tickets. Players a year older contracts shorter with nothing to show. Potential Promoted sides losing out on millions upon millions.