You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

I think it’s a good job so many clubs have still got things to play for.  If City were out of the Champions league I wouldn’t be surprised to see them invent some bullshit saying they had to self isolate the players to stop fixtures to stop the league from continuing.  The same for United.  It’s becoming more and more likely the league won’t get finished.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we haven’t sealed the title by that point then they wouldn’t give us it but the positions at that point would dictate the money and European positions.  If that happens I want the club to write 19 on the wall.  We don’t need the premier league or the other clubs recognising us as winners.

I think it will be closed door games then postponed but shit will get that bad they will eventually just void it all together rather than it bleed over into next season. 

They should just end it when they must and to make it palatable say points average per game of the season so far will apply to the remainder of your games or every home game is a 3 nil win. There's no way the season ends in a normal way so it's going to absolutely shite... after 30 bastard years too.

You'd imagine UEFA would come under pressure from the 5 big leagues to postpone the Euros to allow the domestic seasons to be completed.

Also I'd imagine UEFA would also want a to compete the CL/EL league comps in favour of cancellation to allow another completion to go ahead. 

My guess is unless leagues can be completed by 31/5 then Euros will be postponed 12 months to allow domestic leagues to be finished by mid July. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, devilsadvocate said:

My guess is unless leagues can be completed by 31/5 then Euros will be postponed 12 months to allow domestic leagues to be finished by mid July. 

Think you're right about that. Also, Rome is supposed to be host to several matches. As per now it looks like Rome might not be able to do that. The fact that the EUROs is spread out in Europe also suggests the competition will be difficult to arrange, thus being postponed and played next season.

This will give the leagues and the CL/EL more time too.

Who knows how it will play out. Just win the next couple of games we play and we have as many decent cards in our hand as possible.

You never know, stuff like the Olympics might yet get cancelled and help us out through everyone getting a proper pre-season.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think it’s a good job so many clubs have still got things to play for.  If City were out of the Champions league I wouldn’t be surprised to see them invent some bullshit saying they had to self isolate the players to stop fixtures to stop the league from continuing.  The same for United.  It’s becoming more and more likely the league won’t get finished.  I wouldn’t be surprised if we haven’t sealed the title by that point then they wouldn’t give us it but the positions at that point would dictate the money and European positions.  If that happens I want the club to write 19 on the wall.  We don’t need the premier league or the other clubs recognising us as winners.

Once again you're ignoring the fact that the Premier League Board who make decisions affecting the PL, is the 19 clubs. There's no 'they' as in a faceless person in making the decision to curtail the season or decide there's no Champions or relegation or host of other issues that would be created if the league is stopped. Even the PL CEO cannot make such a decision on his own.

Even if the PL wants to decide all or any of the above, a minimum 14 clubs have to vote for whatever the proposals are.

I think this talk of city doing this, that and going legal is bollocks. It's one thing to take on UEFA, it's another to piss off every other club in the PL which they have to interact with on a daily basis.

They won't void an entire season, so anyone thinking that needs to give themselves a '40s film noir hysterical woman slap.

Behind closed doors and postponement is the route they'll follow. The cash cow of the big leagues and CL are built on marketing bollocks, the premise that everything is a huge game with great significance. Pulling the rug out from under an entire season, saying nothing really mattered, would be like drawing back the curtain in Oz. 

• Upvote 6

It's only sensible to postpone CL/PL/Other after we've won the title and resume next March when half of humanity has been wiped from the earth. That gives us a full year and a bit to celebrate being World, European and English champions. If they wanted to void any competition, they should do that on the FA/League cup and just play them again from the start while the main comps aren't in play. Behind closed doors. Live streamed. Amazon Prime preferably. 

They may end up bringing games forward behind closed doors. They may look at finishing the league by the middle of April. Shitty on clubs with smaller squads. Could see it getting to the point where teams could be playing 3 times in one week.

Genuinely can't see how they would void a season with so much to play for acrosd the board. The money men control the game. The games will be shit without an atmosphere but it is what it is. It means the season is done and if they have to delay next season and put the Euros on next year, then that's okay.

The likes of Norwich deserve the chance to fight their way out of the bottom 3. The likes of Leeds don't deserve that their chance of premier league football is taken from them. The likes of Sheffield United or Wolves deserve the chance of maybe getting a champions league place. Oh and if they don't award us the league or give us a chance to officially be champions, then it would make their authotity of the game completely void moving forward. We are not 5 or 6 points ahead. It would be a piss take of a decision that I can't see them making.

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I clearly meant that the fact that a G7 country (ie. an important country economically with resources) is being swamped means it's a very dangerous situation that can happen anywhere and not some kind of fluke where we can blame poor healthcare, etc... Thought that was clear. 

That’s how I read it.

• Upvote 1

There are games getting cancelled all over Europe now, it's turning into a bit of a clusterfuck. It's only a matter of time now for the UK, which seems to be behind the curve on how to deal with this in more ways than one. The answer to me has to be cancel the Euros til next year and finish the leagues/cups over the summer. There is a real danger that players will test positive at some point, especially if governments don't act decisively and quickly, in fact some already have in Italy, and when that happens, it's game over until it all works through the system. Panic over!

38 minutes ago, Baltar said:

We'd be champions by now if it wasn't for that stupid winter break, and our form going into tonight's game would likely have been much better too. 

Yeah how dare Klopp not win the league by the middle of March....#SackKlippertyKlopp

We'll be fine. The season will be completed at some point. 

Palios is wrong. It would not be the government's decision to 'cancel the season'. The govt could force games to be played behind closed doors or ban travel, but any decision on how to get out of the consequent mess would be for the Premier League, which would have to make its decisions in tandem with UEFA and the lower leagues. 

As I've said before, promotion and relegation matter hugely in terms of finances. There would be litigation against the leagues, not the government, if Leeds (for example) could not play in the PL next year. 

UEFA will care at least as much about the CL as about the Euros, especially given the spectre of the expanded world club competition. UEFA can't afford to piss off those clubs in the last 16/last 8 of the club competitions. 

Cancelling or postponing the Euros and using the time to conclude the season is the likeliest option. 

• Upvote 1