You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Think we might get up to the Palace game. Then it will either be played behind closed doors or postponed for a few months.

Ultimately, they can't void the season. If they do, they would lose all credibility not giving us the title. There are numerous teams chasing the champions league spots and the relegation spots are far from decided. The likes of Leeds and West Brom would be up in arms if the season is voided.

Anyhow, if it gets to the point where the season doesn't re commence, then we are all in a lot of bother and football is the least of my concern.

• Upvote 2

If they're going to cancel this season, the league should still stand with everyone where they are as and when the last match is played. I can't see how it's fair to just totally nix a season that's three quarters done.

We're champions, because we've played brilliantly and earned the points. The bottom 3 crying about being relegated and not getting the chance to save themselves in the remaining nine or ten games? Tough shit, should have tried harder earlier in the season.

2 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

The bottom 3 crying about being relegated and not getting the chance to save themselves in the remaining nine or ten games? Tough shit, should have tried harder earlier in the season.

Add in West Brom and Leeds....

giphy.gif

37 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

If they're going to cancel this season, the league should still stand with everyone where they are as and when the last match is played. I can't see how it's fair to just totally nix a season that's three quarters done.

We're champions, because we've played brilliantly and earned the points. The bottom 3 crying about being relegated and not getting the chance to save themselves in the remaining nine or ten games? Tough shit, should have tried harder earlier in the season.

Can't see it working like that....an incomplete season (should it happen) with things awarded/decided without them having full chance to play out IMO attracts more potential action from clubs in way of legal challenges etc than making whole thing null and void does.

Making it null and void covers everyone and leaves no room for any arguments.

Not saying it is what i want but can see it being what happens if league can't be finished/players and staff get this thing.

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

I believe they’ll cancel the European Championships to allow leagues to postpone if necessary. Will be a moot point if they play the next couple of weeks behind closed doors, which I believe they will.

I think so too.

Should they stop the PL, I reckon they recognize the current table as the final one as we have played more than 75% of the games.

Obviously I’m as desperate as the rest for the league to be completed, but more than that I’m absolutely staggered that there’s nothing written into the rules of the premier league about how they might adjudicate in such a situation.

dont all big businesses have policies in place for disaster planning? It seems crazy that there isn’t a line written down saying what happens next.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Can't see it working like that....an incomplete season (should it happen) with things awarded/decided without them having full chance to play out IMO attracts more potential action from clubs in way of legal challenges etc than making whole thing null and void does.

Making it null and void covers everyone and leaves no room for any arguments.

Not saying it is what i want but can see it being what happens if league can't be finished/players and staff get this thing.

See what you're saying, but what about the teams that were potentially being promoted? That doesn't cover any claim nine teams would have for potential loss of earnings.

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Obviously I’m as desperate as the rest for the league to be completed, but more than that I’m absolutely staggered that there’s nothing written into the rules of the premier league about how they might adjudicate in such a situation.

dont all big businesses have policies in place for disaster planning? It seems crazy that there isn’t a line written down saying what happens next.

To be fair, it's only something like all out war, a big fuck off meteorite hitting the earth or a major pandemic that's going to stop a football season. And in any of those circumstances, people wouldnt really care who was declared Champions or relegated.

The city arsenal game has been postponed so I think it's now pretty clear, any team playing in Europe faces a good chance of one person contracting corona virus that will lead to PL games now being postponed.

Just how FIFA \ UEFA can now allow the international break to go ahead is beyond me. All these players flying off around the World, come back andyou'll find some have 'come into contact' with someone who has it.

4 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

See what you're saying, but what about the teams that were potentially being promoted? That doesn't cover any claim nine teams would have for potential loss of earnings.

I can just see it being said that they can't find a solution to all the different could haves, should haves, potentially this, potentially that, blah blah blah and fall back on saying an incomplete season voids everything.

I hope like fuck i am wrong 

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

To be fair, it's only something like all out war, a big fuck off meteorite hitting the earth or a major pandemic that's going to stop a football season. And in any of those circumstances, people wouldnt really care who was declared Champions or relegated.

Except for Everton fans of course, who like to claim the war period when talking about being champions. 

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

If we get over the line I just don’t see how they can say to us we aren’t Champions given we’ll have actually won it.

Let's say we win it next two and there are 7 games left and league gets halted....

I would not be surprised at all to see City launch a legal challenge that would for example go down these lines - yes LFC were mathematically too far ahead to catch in rest of games, but if those 7 games had actually been completed it is possible they could have been involved in a situation where they were deducted points ala Arsenal and Man Utd in 1991.

7 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

You could start by not being a cunt and implying that "third world" countries matter less. And considering China owns half of Canada maybe go easy on the whole "third world" angle eh?

I clearly meant that the fact that a G7 country (ie. an important country economically with resources) is being swamped means it's a very dangerous situation that can happen anywhere and not some kind of fluke where we can blame poor healthcare, etc... Thought that was clear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1