You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

• 2 weeks later...

Italy are talking about cancelling the season and finishing without a league champion. 

Anybody else concerned about the Premier League potentially following suit? At the very least I think Palace, probably the most pivotal game in 30 years, is going to be behind closed doors. 

6 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

Italy are talking about cancelling the season and finishing without a league champion. 

Anybody else concerned about the Premier League potentially following suit? At the very least I think Palace, probably the most pivotal game in 30 years, is going to be behind closed doors. 

We need to wrap it up before there is any risk of this happening. The next stage will be closed doors but as soon as a couple of footballers test positive the games won't go ahead and if the league can't be completed in the summer anything could happen. 

What about relegation? What about championship teams who deserve to get promoted? What about lower league teams who survive week to week on gate receipts? 

There are so many questions and variables. I do think the Palace game will.be behind closed doors. What a way to win the league. 

7 minutes ago, aws said:

We need to wrap it up before there is any risk of this happening. The next stage will be closed doors but as soon as a couple of footballers test positive the games won't go ahead and if the league can't be completed in the summer anything could happen. 

Thats the key. Once players get sick it will be done for the season. 

39 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

To be fair they are also considering having the current standings as final which is ok by me.

But then you will get people like Mark Palios the Tranmere chairman who will make out they’re doing it for the greater good when in reality it’s because their team is struggling and can see a way out...

Palios, whose team are in the League One relegation zone, says a wider perspective is needed.

"You are always cognisant of where you fit in the scheme of things and what you have to do is comply with best advice. If the government decide, in their wisdom, that means the cancellation of the season then so be it."

As to whether clubs would challenge the cancellation of the season in court, Palios adds: "I don't think clubs will do that. If they do, they have to mount a legal challenge against the government. I don't think any sensible person will look at that."

Sadly i think season will be voided.

Too many clubs will cry that it is unfair to finish league behind closed doors..'we had to go host so and so in an empty ground, they had 40,000 fans cheering them on in reverse fixture'....

Then add in all the shite already being spouted about how it is 'wrong' to play behind closed doors by managers and owners....

Then add in any players who get it - straight away clubs will argue they aren't at strength through no fault of own or game related issues...

Training affected will be another shout - not fair and comparable due to restrictions etc etc etc

Add in all the stuff around people gathering outside grounds etc ala Valencia tonight....pubs etc....

End result is authorities in fear of legal nightmares due to unfinished seasons and stuff like the above and more will IMO call whole thing null and void.

Hope i am wrong, sadly i doubt it.

Most potentially sensible solution i have heard is this:

What about (and bear with me on this) - all European football temporarily suspended and this season finished in the Autumn. Then run calendar year seasons (Feb-Nov) up to the World Cup 2022 thus eliminating the need to phase in a mid-season break. Then it can slowly return to normal post 2022.

Keep in mind calendar change needed to accomodate this 2022 world cup bollocks - this may actually be workable and ease that issue.....but of course no chance idiots in charge will do it!

17 minutes ago, Stickman said:

To be fair they are also considering having the current standings as final which is ok by me.

But then you will get people like Mark Palios the Tranmere chairman who will make out they’re doing it for the greater good when in reality it’s because their team is struggling and can see a way out...

Palios, whose team are in the League One relegation zone, says a wider perspective is needed.

"You are always cognisant of where you fit in the scheme of things and what you have to do is comply with best advice. If the government decide, in their wisdom, that means the cancellation of the season then so be it."

As to whether clubs would challenge the cancellation of the season in court, Palios adds: "I don't think clubs will do that. If they do, they have to mount a legal challenge against the government. I don't think any sensible person will look at that."

Yeah, cancelling the season is just one of the options being looked at but the fact it's even being discussed makes me somewhat nervous about our own situation. I wonder whether the leagues can be postponed until the summer, possibly at the expense of Euro 2020 which could be pushed back a year. 

I think stopping now and deciding everything based upon current league position just doesn't work given the financial implications involved for clubs in all the tiers, not just the Premier League. I can't see how any club would accept missed out on Champions League revenue given only 9 points separate 4th-11th and 5th is currently scheduled to get a Champions League spot. Also, the likes of Leeds and WBA would miss out on 100m immediately despite looking like odds-on for promotion. I just can't see how it could work. The only common sense league placing is Liverpool who are 25 points clear and obvious winners of this title. 

Surely cancelling the season doesn't work either because who plays in the Champions League and Europa League next season? They wouldn't take the title off us because we're so far ahead either I don't think. 

What about all the people who have paid money for season tickets, how can they just erase a season when people have essentially forked out loads of money for dead rubbers if they cancelled it?

13 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Surely cancelling the season doesn't work either because who plays in the Champions League and Europa League next season? They wouldn't take the title off us because we're so far ahead either I don't think. 

What about all the people who have paid money for season tickets, how can they just erase a season when people have essentially forked out loads of money for dead rubbers if they cancelled it?

Who gives a shit? It's just football at the end of the day.

32 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It'd be our 19th title. And COVID backwards is DIVOC. 

It's fate. No way is it getting cancelled. We're winning the league and it's being sealed by an Origi goal. 

He currently has 18 goals for us.  

Everton on Monday night?

Well if Italy does scrap it's Serie A season and have no Champions, I dont see how they can have any clubs in the CL next season. Someone's got to go in Pot One as Italian Champions.

Personally, I dont see how Serie A or any top league can be scrapped when you've played three quarters of a season. We've got 9 games to go, sure some fans would love it if the PL season was scrapped but as Ive said before, it will ripple all through the English pyramid and clubs will go bankrupt.

If they do scrap the PL season and I dont see how they can, then I really would jib football off.

Guest Alex_K
39 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

COVID-19.

It'd be our 19th title. And COVID backwards is DIVOC. 

It's fate. No way is it getting cancelled. We're winning the league and it's being sealed by an Origi goal. 

Laughed at that. Written in the stars.

As for who said "Who gives a fuck, its only football ..", yes I imagine the city would be perfectly tranquil at the idea of No. 19 being snatched away because of a novel flu virus.

This was always on the cards though, I think I posted a few weeks ago that we'd need to hurry up and get this league done. 10 days until Palace. Clock ticking.

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well if Italy does scrap it's Serie A season and have no Champions, I dont see how they can have any clubs in the CL next season. Someone's got to go in Pot One as Italian Champions.

Personally, I dont see how Serie A or any top league can be scrapped when you've played three quarters of a season. We've got 9 games to go, sure some fans would love it if the PL season was scrapped but as Ive said before, it will ripple all through the English pyramid and clubs will go bankrupt.

If they do scrap the PL season and I dont see how they can, then I really would jib football off.

This is bigger than footy mate, if they scrap everything and teams go bust thats something that will need to be sorted in the future.

All we can do is wrap things up early as possible and see where that leaves us once the doodoo hits the fan.