You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

People are selfish cunts. It always makes me mad in zombie movies when they have a perfectly safe place where they would have been fine but some fucking quilt smuggles in someone who's been infected and it all turns to shit.

I've been dying to have that rant for years. The opportunity just hasn't come up before. Cheers fella.

The alternative isn't really a zombie film. It's just watching people sit in a room

• Upvote 1

It's very clearly worse than the flu, because first of all, there is a vaccine for flu. Before scientists come up with one for this virus, it will infect and kill a shit load of people. The hysteria over this is beyond annoying, but people playing down the threat are just as bad. 

Anyway, worse comes to worse, games will be postponed and we'd win the league at a later date. They can't just erase an entire season and not finish it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's very clearly worse than the flu, because first of all, there is a vaccine for flu. Before scientists come up with one for this virus, it will infect and kill a shit load of people. The hysteria over this is beyond annoying, but people playing down the threat are just as bad. 

Yep, agreed. The view that it’s no worse than flu is based on ignorance. 

• Upvote 1

The kill rate seems similar to the flu but it seems to be far,far more contagious. It could all blow over like the bird flu and SARS panics but it could turn out to be very nasty and affect every walk of life over the coming months.  

18 minutes ago, aws said:

The kill rate seems similar to the flu but it seems to be far,far more contagious. It could all blow over like the bird flu and SARS panics but it could turn out to be very nasty and affect every walk of life over the coming months.  

It's "kill rate" is between 10-20 times that of the seasonal flu. And as you've mentioned it's a good deal more contagious. I havent paid much heed what to politicians and that dumbass Tedros have had to say, but when epedemiologists withs tens of years of experience are saying we've got a problem then i reckon we should probably listen.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

Indeed, I was just talking to the missus about it last night. The Army would be all over the streets to stop looting etc, we'd be living on rations. It would be chaos, nobody could earn money yet the vultures would still collect their dues as in Rent/Mortgages/Loan repayments etc. Who would collect the rubbish or repair needy things? It would be an Ausnahmezustand (German for 'State of Emergency') just wanted to get that word in as it is without doubt my favourite German word bar none. 

That’s a good German word indeed, but mine is way better : auslanderfeindlichkeit

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If anything gets cancelled it should be Euro2020, giving the national leagues a chance to catch up over the summer. 

Exactly this. Promotion and relegation are crucial here and there must be binding contractual agreements between the clubs and ten leagues and between the ELF and the PL. Those issues need to be decided or there will be litigation. 

Coronavirus is a serious problem with a 2% death rate. If half of the world got it it could lead to around 77 million being killed if I added it up right (tired).

But cancelling the season with us so far into the lead like this would be such pathetic bullshit that the PL would never live it down. For us to get nothing after getting a lead like this would be unbelievable. If they're going to cancel it they'd surely have to award every team whatever a normal season end would give them for the place they finish at.

If we were a few points ahead then yeah we'd never have had any real idea who would've won, but a lead like this? The PL can go and fuck themselves if they're even thinking about taking this away from us.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Coronavirus is a serious problem with a 2% death rate. If half of the world got it it could lead to around 77 million being killed if I added it up right (tired).

But cancelling the season with us so far into the lead like this would be such pathetic bullshit that the PL would never live it down. For us to get nothing after getting a lead like this would be unbelievable. If they're going to cancel it they'd surely have to award every team whatever a normal season end would give them for the place they finish at.

If we were a few points ahead then yeah we'd never have had any real idea who would've won, but a lead like this? The PL can go and fuck themselves if they're even thinking about taking this away from us.

It’s not all about us though is it? It would be very difficult to award the top team the title without also relegating the bottom 3. Even assuming all teams have played the same number of games that would obviously be unfair if there is a 1-2 point difference between 17th and 18th, for example. 

I think the first port of call will be games behind closed doors with all Players and staff screened, and then finishing the league in the summer if need be. UEFA are likely to sacrifice or postpone the Euros if it means they can complete this season’s UCL.

20 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

It’s not all about us though is it? It would be very difficult to award the top team the title without also relegating the bottom 3. Even assuming all teams have played the same number of games that would obviously be unfair if there is a 1-2 point difference between 17th and 18th, for example. 

I think the first port of call will be games behind closed doors with all Players and staff screened, and then finishing the league in the summer if need be. UEFA are likely to sacrifice or postpone the Euros if it means they can complete this season’s UCL.

Thing is, voiding it wouldn’t be fair on teams vying for promotion so there would have to be some sort of outcome. In the (unlikely) event of a complete cancellation of matches, I think something along the line of club representatives drawing straws or tossing a coin for each remaining fixture would be the most plausible way of resolving it.

I have a feeling that postponements / a delay is about as bad as it would get, and in that instance agree that we could see the Euros, if not cancelled, then going to 2021, perhaps retooled into a straight knockout competition. You could even it out over the following season and have some rounds played instead of international friendlies. Not only would UEFA prioritise the golden goose that is the CL (which would simply have to be delayed if major national leagues are paused for a significant period of time), but it would be far less problematic legally and financially to get rid of an international competition that hasn’t even started instead of upending thousands of club sides and having to face a legal minefield.

17 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The bottom teams are close together though. Relegation is a big deal that could make or break those clubs for years on end. Us getting the title is just a matter of are we awarded it or not? We're currently 22 points ahead and nobody seriously believes anyone other than ourselves is going to win it.

So why not leave relegation if it gets so bad but still give us the title seeing as there's no team anywhere near us?

Anyway I agree with your second part, the Euros can fuck off and be postponed, let the leagues play behind closed doors and a little later in the year if need be. And if it comes to are we awarded the title or not, then really, each club in the league should have a say and they all vote on it. Then we can see whether or not they're cunts, because any team with this much of a lead deserves the title if they're so close to actually winning it.

I think they'll go closed doors then try and play any matches that have to be postponed in the summer. If they can't play all the games in the summer then they'll freeze the League at the point when they can't play any more games and that will be the final table.

But I don't think they'll relegate anyone who would still have had a chance of safety because there's a difference between penalising  someone who hasn't failed yet and not rewarding a potentially promoted side who might not have succeeded yet. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

I think they'll go closed doors then try and play any matches that have to be postponed in the summer. If they can't play all the games in the summer then they'll freeze the League at the point when they can't play any more games and that will be the final table.

But I don't think they'll relegate anyone who would still have had a chance of safety because there's a difference between penalising  someone who hasn't failed yet and not rewarding a potentially promoted side who might not have succeeded yet. 

What if you have 2 sides bound to be promoted and only 1 guaranteed to go down? 

There has to be consistency.

Teams would sue over promotion/relegation - as Sheffield United did (albeit against West Ham) over Tevez and Mascherano.

1 minute ago, rubble-rouser said:

What if you have 2 sides bound to be promoted and only 1 guaranteed to go down? 

There has to be consistency.

Teams would sue over promotion/relegation - as Sheffield United did (albeit against West Ham) over Tevez and Mascherano.

Somebody's going to be pissed off whatever happens. I just set out what I think is the solution likely to piss off fewest clubs.