You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

14 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The flip side to that is the speed of response in terms of vaccination.

With the focus on it now - that response will be at most 6 months.

They moved the Womens World Cup on account of SARS. 

I do not expect the Olympics to be moved or abandoned at this point - do you?

Personally I would guess not, but who knows mate. Several variables at play.

8 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Even if all the matches start being played behind locked doors, what happens if one or more teams get infected or quarantined?

This is actually a valid question, given quarantine periods...and it's happening in Italy right now...

Taken from the Guardian blog:

An entire Italian Serie-C football team is in quarantine after three players and an official tested positive for coronavirus.

Players from Pianese, a side based in Tuscany, began to exhibit symptoms last Saturday, while the team played away against Allesandria. The Siena-based club said in a statement:

At the moment those infected are four, three players and a team official.

The first is a young player who had started to experience a slight rise in temperature and headache last Saturday, when the team was away to Alessandria to play a championship game.

The second player is in self-isolation at his home, while not showing any symptoms, as well as the third player who is slightly feverish.

The fourth person tested positive for the swab is a club official who this morning, after spending the night in a feverish state, was transported by ambulance to the hospital in Siena.

Currently all the players, the technical staff and the managers present during the trip last weekend are in a 15-day quarantine.

Guest Pistonbroke

Someone runs a story and everyone jumps on it to sell papers or get clicks. Where would they have to stop if they suspended the football season, as it would mean it was a real pandemic. Shut down the Undergrounds? London and other Cities would grind to a halt. Ban people from working in enclosed environments with large numbers, again things would grind to a halt. Supermarkets shut down....everyone would just whinge that they couldn't buy crisps or some shit. Let's be honest, if things got so bad that they were doing these things then we'd have more to worry about than the season being suspended. 

28 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Someone runs a story and everyone jumps on it to sell papers or get clicks. Where would they have to stop if they suspended the football season, as it would mean it was a real pandemic. Shut down the Undergrounds? London and other Cities would grind to a halt. Ban people from working in enclosed environments with large numbers, again things would grind to a halt. Supermarkets shut down....everyone would just whinge that they couldn't buy crisps or some shit. Let's be honest, if things got so bad that they were doing these things then we'd have more to worry about than the season being suspended. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It'd be societal breakdown by that point and we'd be under martial law.

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. It'd be societal breakdown by that point we'd be under martial law.

Indeed, I was just talking to the missus about it last night. The Army would be all over the streets to stop looting etc, we'd be living on rations. It would be chaos, nobody could earn money yet the vultures would still collect their dues as in Rent/Mortgages/Loan repayments etc. Who would collect the rubbish or repair needy things? It would be an Ausnahmezustand (German for 'State of Emergency') just wanted to get that word in as it is without doubt my favourite German word bar none. 

Just now, Pistonbroke said:

Indeed, I was just talking to the missus about it last night. The Army would be all over the streets to stop looting etc, we'd be living on rations. It would be chaos, nobody could earn money yet the vultures would still collect their dues as in Rent/Mortgages/Loan repayments etc. Who would collect the rubbish or repair needy things? It would be an Ausnahmezustand (German for 'State of Emergency') just wanted to get that word in as it is without doubt my favourite German word bar none. 

That's a splendid word- almost worth having one just to hear it said frequently.

29 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Im pretty sure the hack who first wrote the story about Liverpool, the virus and potentially not being crowned Champions, did it solely to wind up the fan base knowing loads of united, everton, city and chelsea tools would jump the bandwagon.

But like I said before, people havent thought it through. If the season is declared null and void, then, if united manage to win the Europa League, that's going to be null and void. If city win the EFL Cup, that's going to be null and void. If everton qualify for the EL, that's going to be null and void.

I could go on but Im sure folks get the picture.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

If anything gets cancelled it should be Euro2020, giving the national leagues a chance to catch up over the summer. 

Or just finish the seasons in various leagues off next year and then give all the players a long rest which I'm sure would piss off a lot of fans but we'd get to celebrate for ages and the following season the players would be raring to go. Obviously extend Cities bans. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im pretty sure the hack who first wrote the story about Liverpool, the virus and potentially not being crowned Champions, did it solely to wind up the fan base knowing loads of united, everton, city and chelsea tools would jump the bandwagon.

But like I said before, people havent thought it through. If the season is declared null and void, then, if united manage to win the Europa League, that's going to be null and void. If city win the EFL Cup, that's going to be null and void. If everton qualify for the EL, that's going to be null and void.

I could go on but Im sure folks get the picture.

Just your typical scare tactic journalism. I'm surprised they didn't have a load of photos/diagrams to accompany their shit story. I'm off to the park with the dog to brave the elements, I enjoy sneezing (something which I can do on demand by looking into lights/sky/sun) as you can literally see people flapping, thick cunts are 20 yards away. 

Guest Pistonbroke
3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I reckon they should cancel the ACN next year, just to be on the safe side.

They should cancel Brexit talks for 20 years just to be on the safe side. Can't have all those fuckers travelling about for meetings. 

14 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm wanting Jurgen to say it in a press conference now, just to hear the Teutonic pronunciation.