You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

Guess we need to hurry up and wrap up the title before the season is declared void!

Liverpool could be denied their first ever Premier League title should the domestic season be cut short by coronavirus. Jurgen Klopp’s relentless winning machine equalled a domestic record on Monday by registering a 19th consecutive victory, moving to within four wins of claiming the prize which has evaded them since 1990. The rapid spread of the virus has already had ramifications in Italy where several Serie A fixtures have been postponed, or been played behind closed doors, while next week’s scheduled Six Nations clash between Ireland and the Azzurri has been postponed. According the Daily Telegraph, there is no Premier League legislation in place relating to the season being curtailed and crisis talks would ensue were the Government to intervene and cancel all sporting events in the country for up to two months.

Liverpool currently enjoy an unprecedented 22-point lead over second placed Manchester City and are overwhelming favourites to extend that margin with a win at Watford on Saturday, with Pep Guardiola’s side set to contest the Carabao Cup final 24 hours later.

Denying Liverpool the title would undoubtedly cause major uproar but the Premier League would face a difficult decision were they to declare the Reds as champions and, at the same time, relegate the three teams currently in the drop zone. Newcastle United have already banned shaking hands between players and staff at their training ground, while Tottenham screened journalists before Jose Mourinho’s pre-match press conference on Friday. Asked, meanwhile, if Liverpool were planning to change their pre-season schedule given they are planning a summer trip to Asia, Klopp told reporters: ‘Not yet, over pre-season we’ve not thought of changes yet. The biomedical department, all advice we get from there. ‘But if you [the media] come in here and don’t shake hands, I’m now only two metres away from you, so whatever you have I probably can’t avoid getting it as well. We had an interview outside and were even closer. ‘We take it really serious, but you can’t avoid everything. It’s not a football problem, it’s a society problem, what we all have in common, so I think everybody is thinking about it at the moment. ‘Hopefully the people who are much smarter than us find a way to [end the illness], or medicine, as that’s obviously the big problem at the moment, we don’t have that yet.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/28/liverpool-premier-league-title-coronavirus-jurgen-klopp-12320842/

Everton fans will be made up until they realise we will be "the first side that didn't win the league because of a worldwide pandemic" and then they will make some shit up about Everton being denied the super Bowl during the fire of london or some other absolute fucking bollocks. 

God can we just fuck Everton off. Pointless little meffs. 

• Upvote 2

For the last 2-3 months I’ve been waiting for us to trip up because I’m so used to us getting kicked in the bollocks, always feel like the Footy Gods have determined we won’t win it. Even the Gods can’t stop us this time as we’re that fucking good. So they’ve decided to throw a virus out there to ruin it. No parades, no celebrations, prob games behind closed doors. The football Gods are cunts.

If they suspend it or even cancel it - winning it may not even count even if won before it is suspended or cancelled - as other issues like relegation/european spots could not be decided...so league is incomplete.

I get feeling they'd finish everything behind closed doors if necessary.

Problem is seems to be no legislation in place for league not being completed and you can bet your life clubs who would be sent down in and incomplete league or denied CL spots would kick off like fuck...lawsuits etc.

It could get very messy and i don't trust the useless cunts who run game to do right thing or use common sense

I know it is only football compared to life but fuck me if it was scrapped/not recognised it would be beyond desperate, especially given what we have done this season.

I have no faith common sense would prevail though and you can bet any extension to season after a delay would be contested by fucking UEFA so they can run their Euros shite....so no chance there.

Behind closed doors seems likely to me and that would really take shine off.

Does anyone remember Owen being awarded to golden boot because he finished the season tied with someone else but had got injured and missed the last half dozen games?

i might’ve made it up.

but anyway, do that.

As far as I'm aware the UK has 19 confirmed cases of covid-19. 8 are recovered meaning 11 live cases. 

Italy where sporting events have been affected has 655 confirmed cases, 45 recovered leaving 593 live cases. 

There's nothing wrong with forward thinking. I'm certainly doing that with regard to covid-19. However that article was a bit sensationalist to say the very very least. 

Lets just briskly proceed to having the league won mathematically (4 games I think) and I really don't see a problem. 

(In response to Jordy’s post about current UK cases).

Problem is the potential speed of transmission isn’t it. If those people are quarantined it should be fine. But if for example 11 people infected 11 people each, it would quickly zoom out of control in terms of its reach.

I don’t feel like that part is where hysteria and hyperbole are taking over so much. It’s overestimating the likely affect of being infected to the vast majority of individuals, beyond having an unpleasant short-term illness, which seems to have got people losing their minds.

Lets face it, you only need a whiff of petrol shortages in the UK and you get loads of people buying a year’s worth of tinned food and queuing for 3 days to fill their tank up. Tell them there’s an emerging infectious disease originating from no-name animal on the way and you could write the script.

• Upvote 2