You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And the 2019 financial results are in.

dockers_strike

Not the most important thing in the world for a football club although in today's FFP environment, they count. And it shows once again that the club is extremely well organised and run off the field while being self sustaining.

Liverpool FC has filed its annual financial accounts for the season in which the club won its sixth UEFA Champions League title and invested a club record £223m on players.

Summary of the financial period

• Won sixth UEFA Champions League title
  • Four new player signings
  • Eleven player contracts extended
  • First official training partnership signed
  • Nine new commercial partnerships signed
  • Maintained seventh position in Deloitte Football Money League
  • £50m invested in training ground opening in July

During the reporting period for the year to May 31, 2019, Alisson Becker, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri all signed for LFC, with Danny Ward, Danny Ings, Ragnar Klavan, Dominic Solanke and Lazar Markovic leaving the club. The first-team squad was further reinforced with 11 players renewing their contracts, including club captain Jordan Henderson, Roberto Firmino, Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson and Trent Alexander-Arnold.

Turnover increased during the period by £78m to £533m, which represents sustained growth across the club and enabled the further investment into the playing squad. All three revenue streams saw rises, with media revenue increasing by £41m to £261m, commercial revenue increasing by £34m to £188m, and match revenue increasing by £3.5m to £84m.

The increase in turnover is a result of a new UEFA Champions League broadcasting deal which commenced in this period, a second-placed finish in the Premier League and higher partnership and merchandising value. Overall profit before tax for the period was reported at £42m.

Andy Hughes, LFC’s chief operating officer, said: “This continued strengthening of the underlying financial sustainability of the club is enabling us to make significant investments both in player recruitment and infrastructure.

“Being able to reinvest over £220m on players during this financial period is a result of a successful business strategy, particularly the significant uplift in commercial revenues.

“The cost of football, however, does continue to rise in transfers and associated fees but what’s critical for us is the consistency of our financial position, enabling us to live within our means and continue to run a sustainable football club.”

Liverpool maintained its seventh position in the Deloitte Football Money League having moved up two places from ninth during the previous financial year.

Nine new commercial partners joined the club, including its first official training partnership with AXA. Retail had a record-breaking season in sales with footfall surpassing a million fans into the official LFC stores. The club’s international expansion plans have also grown with a new retail partner announced in Malaysia, shop-in-shop opened in Thailand and new selling channels on Amazon in USA, Canada and Germany. E-commerce orders were shipped to more than a record 190 countries worldwide.

Digitally, the club’s global social media followers increased by 26 per cent to nearly 70m. LFC’s official YouTube channel reached 2.5m subscribers and is the most-followed club in the Premier League. Twitter also increased by 11 per cent to 13.5m and reached 59m total engagements during the 2018-19 season – 6m more than any other Premier League club.

Hughes added: “What we’re seeing is sustained growth across all areas of the club, which is aligned to the recent performance on the pitch. Since this reporting period we have continued to reinvest in the club’s infrastructure and we look forward to the opening of our new training base at Kirkby ahead of the new season, which will provide first-class facilities for our players and staff.

“We have also just completed a second-phase consultation on a proposed expansion of the Anfield Road stand which could see an increase in the stadium’s capacity, giving even more supporters the opportunity to see the team. There is more work to do and, importantly, we will continue our dialogue with all key stakeholders, including local residents, businesses and community groups.

“These financial results and this sustained period of solid growth is testament to our ownership, Fenway Sport Group, who continue to support the club’s ambitions and continue to reinvest revenues both in strengthening the playing squad and the club’s infrastructure to build for the future.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/388376-liverpool-fc-financial-results-statement

27 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

During the reporting period for the year to May 31, 2019, Alisson Becker, Naby Keita, Fabinho and Xherdan Shaqiri all signed for LFC, with Danny Ward, Danny Ings, Ragnar Klavan, Dominic Solanke and Lazar Markovic leaving the club.

17 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I've just cum.

dr-mccoy-and-captain-kirk-approve.gif

• Upvote 3

FSG will look at it as return on their capital invested. No idea what that is without a balance sheet but i suspect it a very healthy return even by venture capital standards , The margin on trading before tax just under 8 percent is very healthy. FSG are doing very well out of their investment.

If the club reduced ticket prices by 50% it would reduce match day revenue by app. 24M. That's 4,5% of total income.

If they did Anfield would be packed with more genuine fans, people who now find themselves priced out. The atmosphere at matches would reach new heights, cementing our position as the club with the most passionate fans, which in turn would further increase our status internationally. Wouldn’t surprise me if the 24M spent on reducing ticket prices would be paid for by increased commercial revenue.

So here it is. Do the right thing and invite the fans back home.

1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

If the club reduced ticket prices by 50% it would reduce match day revenue by app. 24M. That's 4,5% of total income.

If they did Anfield would be packed with more genuine fans, people who now find themselves priced out. The atmosphere at matches would reach new heights, cementing our position as the club with the most passionate fans, which in turn would further increase our status internationally. Wouldn’t surprise me if the 24M spent on reducing ticket prices would be paid for by increased commercial revenue.

The only way ticket prices are going down is if they can't sell them

49 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

While I agree ticket prices should be lower, I disagree that lowering ticket prices would open the place up to 'genuine fans' mostly because I don't knows what your definition of 'genuine fans' is.

I guess you've not been lately because the atmosphere is great. Play great football and you get a great atmosphere generally. Who'd have thunk it.

Our status has increased internationally due to the success we have had recently and over the years, along with the passionate support of those pesky 'non genuine' fans. Look at the Barca result, I couldn't talk properly for days and the atmosphere was incredible. 

You think if they lowered the ticket prices that official and unofficial touting wouldn't continue? A decent portion of that  £24m would go to the touts. 

The owners aren't in it for shits and giggles, if they can make that £24m then they will. They might claim it will go towards escalating player wages, player purchases, training and stadium improvements. My ideas would be to scrap agents and have the PL sort transfers with any fees going to grass roots clubs. A wage limit and a transfer limit. All very difficult when clubs look to cheat them and if one country doesn't play along then it won't work at all. 

If you're talking about locals when you say 'genuine fans' then closing the ST list for a while and limiting it to local postcodes would help. When the Annie Road is finished assign a large proportion of them to local postcodes and have a cheaper band for local teenagers ticket. But in doing that to please you we will need to ensure that they are 'genuine' and that they can sing along with everyone else.

My test for a 'genuine fan' is far easier, if they start clapping before the end of YNWA then they should be kicked out and banned. Same with half n half scarf whoppers when we play Premier league teams. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

The only way ticket prices are going down is if they can't sell them

57 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

While I agree ticket prices should be lower, I disagree that lowering ticket prices would open the place up to 'genuine fans' mostly because I don't knows what your definition of 'genuine fans' is.

I guess you've not been lately because the atmosphere is great. Play great football and you get a great atmosphere generally. Who'd have thunk it.

Our status has increased internationally due to the success we have had recently and over the years, along with the passionate support of those pesky 'non genuine' fans. Look at the Barca result, I couldn't talk properly for days and the atmosphere was incredible. 

You think if they lowered the ticket prices that official and unofficial touting wouldn't continue? A decent portion of that  £24m would go to the touts. 

The owners aren't in it for shits and giggles, if they can make that £24m then they will. They might claim it will go towards escalating player wages, player purchases, training and stadium improvements. My ideas would be to scrap agents and have the PL sort transfers with any fees going to grass roots clubs. A wage limit and a transfer limit. All very difficult when clubs look to cheat them and if one country doesn't play along then it won't work at all. 

If you're talking about locals when you say 'genuine fans' then closing the ST list for a while and limiting it to local postcodes would help. When the Annie Road is finished assign a large proportion of them to local postcodes and have a cheaper band for local teenagers ticket. But in doing that to please you we will need to ensure that they are 'genuine' and that they can sing along with everyone else.

My test for a 'genuine fan' is far easier, if they start clapping before the end of YNWA then they should be kicked out and banned. Same with half n half scarf whoppers when we play Premier league teams. 

Thank you for your reply. I’m not local and can’t afford to travel more than once or maybe twice per season. My trip for this season is due next week, but from last year I remember the atmosphere to be really good.

By “genuine fans” I mean all fans locals as well as wools, who really care about the team. I do, however feel bad about local fans being priced out, almost feel guilty of taking up a seat that maybe should belong to someone else. Over the years I’ve witnessed people choosing to stay inside 15-20 mins into the second half as there’s more fun telling jokes amongst friends in the Reds Bar.  If I had my way they’d all be flogged out of the stadium.

Reducing ticket prices by 50% would be a huge statement, hitting the news in every corner of the world. It would say “we’re here for our fans!”. I think maybe it could be a shrewd business decision.

And I don’t share your worry about touts. Touts could be stopped if the club really wants to. They are in fact ever so slowly addressing the problem.

5 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

Thank you for your reply. I’m not local and can’t afford to travel more than once or maybe twice per season. My trip for this season is due next week, but from last year I remember the atmosphere to be really good.

By “genuine fans” I mean all fans locals as well as wools, who really care about the team. I do, however feel bad about local fans being priced out, almost feel guilty of taking up a seat that maybe should belong to someone else. Over the years I’ve witnessed people choosing to stay inside 15-20 mins into the second half as there’s more fun telling jokes amongst friends in the Reds Bar.  If I had my way they’d all be flogged out of the stadium.

Reducing ticket prices by 50% would be a huge statement, hitting the news in every corner of the world. It would say “we’re here for our fans!”. I think maybe it could be a shrewd business decision.

And I don’t share your worry about touts. Touts could be stopped if the club really wants to. They are in fact ever so slowly addressing the problem.

Official touts are however not being stopped. 

4 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Do we know how much money FSG are making via dividends, interets, consulting ect ?

Not sure about the current accounts. Previous accounts have shown they havent taken any dividends. As far as Im aware only FSG employees directly employed by the club draw a salary. Neither am I aware of any consultancy fees.

As for the comment about 'genuine fans' getting tickets, if I cant make a game, either my lad uses my seassie or if he cannot make it, I return my seat to the club. Sometimes it doesnt get re sold in past seasons which I find surprising given ticket demand.

• Upvote 1