You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Neville: Salah sees Liverpool as a stepping stone to Real Madrid or Barcelona

TLW

Gary Neville feels that Mo Salah is ready to move on from Liverpool and join either Real Madrid of Barcelona in the near future.

Salah has had an extraordinary career with the Reds since arriving on Merseyside in the summer in 2017 scoring 90 goals in 140 games for the Reds.

While his record-breaking first season will stand the test of time, he has certainly played a major part in the success of the club in the last two campaigns winning more individual honours along the way.

There has been speculation about suitors for Sadio Mane and more recently Roberto Firmino, it seemed like any talk about Salah departing had gone a tad quiet.

But Neville put it back on the agenda saying that a lack of love from the fans for the Egyptian superstar could come into play when he decides what his next move might be.

The Mirror ( via Sky Sports) reported the former Man United stalwart as saying:

image.png

“I said 18 months ago I thought Mo Salah would leave Liverpool.

"I think it's a little bit more simple in the sense of why Liverpool fans maybe don't demonstrate that love for Salah, and it's affinity and loyalty.

“I think there's a feeling that he wants to go and play at Real Madrid, he'll go to Barcelona - he'll take the big move.

Neville said that shouldn’t be seen as a criticism of Salah, it’s just that some players want to test themselves on the continent.

“I played with David Beckham, I played with Ruud van Nistelrooy, I played with Cristiano Ronaldo - they wanted to aspire to win the Ballon d'Or, they wanted to be at Real Madrid, they wanted to be up in lights and play at the biggest clubs in the world.

“I think there's a feeling: affinity, loyalty, will he leave us?

"I think he could.

"I think he is ultimately using Liverpool potentially as a stepping stone for his career. 

“He has aspirations to be [at a club like Madrid or Barca].

“Let's be honest, Real Madrid and Barcelona for a lot of players are the pinnacle."

You often see this thought process with South American players and the Reds have been the victim of it with Luis Suarez, Philippe Coutinho and Javier Mascherano to name a few.

Judging from a fair distance away, Mo seems to like the quiet life, much removed from all the frenzied limelight a move to the ‘big two’ in Spain would bring.

He keeps it pretty low-key, spending time with his family and generally seems happy on the pitch bonding well with his teammates.

And then there is the fact that Liverpool are currently the best team in World Football, that is not a claim, it is a cold hard fact.

Why would any player want to leave what Jürgen Klopp is building at this present moment, especially when he is a key member of this team?

Or perhaps is it just a ex-rival player wanting to cause a bit of disharmony in the ranks and knowing his own team cannot contend with the Reds on the pitch at this present time.

Knowing the mentality of this Liverpool squad, this sort of claim wouldn’t even raise a skerrick of friction.

View full article

18 minutes ago, Jennings said:

What does he mean by lack of love from the fans? Mo's song is sung frequently. I don't understand this bit.

This. Salah whatever his form is lauded by the fans. I suspect he will go soonish  with my best wishes for the future, he has helped transform and maintain our ascent to CL and PL winners. He will be a legend for what he has a achieved in his time here. Not trying to sell the club to him but there aren't many teams out there that are set up to make the most of your individual strengths he will know that. 

15 minutes ago, Mudface said:

He must have read a couple of in-match threads on here.

I agree said in west ham thread that I don't get the commentary. Yeah he can be hot or cold but never hides and tries to be the difference. Now I haven't seen his "stat" circle (other thread) but I can say he is safely in the world class thread.

I actually don't see what's controversial about what he says. He's maybe being a little provocative with the use of the "stepping stone" stuff, but it's perfectly plausible he might want to move on. He might not too. My issie is he offers absolutely no reason why he might want to move except playing for "the biggest clubs" and "winning balon d'Or", well he's at one of the world's biggest clubs and if he played better he could win the balon d'Or with us as we've just had a centre back go within a cunt hair of winning it, so a striker on his game would have no issue. Added to he's playing in a team that's breaking all kinds of records across the top 5 leagues. Maybe if he was Liverpool's best player, he'd win the balon d'Or. 

It's clear to me there is no sporting achievement he can't achieve with us. But he (and other players) may fancy trying somewhere new, may fancy living in a warmer climate, may fancy working at a lower level of intensity than what is expected by klopp. But Neville knows none of these things, his predication is about as valid as the bloke at the roulette table who said he knew it was going to be red. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I actually don't see what's controversial about what he says. He's maybe being a little provocative with the use of the "stepping stone" stuff, but it's perfectly plausible he might want to move on. He might not too. My issie is he offers absolutely no reason why he might want to move except playing for "the biggest clubs" and "winning balon d'Or", well he's at one of the world's biggest clubs and if he played better he could win the balon d'Or with us as we've just had a centre back go within a cunt hair of winning it, so a striker on his game would have no issue. Added to he's playing in a team that's breaking all kinds of records across the top 5 leagues. Maybe if he was Liverpool's best player, he'd win the balon d'Or. 

So, rather than being controversial, perhaps he's just being a dickhead.