You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watford (A) Premier League 29/02/2020 - 17:30

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, Red House said:

No one showed up tonight, Lovren is just an easy lazy target. Virgil is the one who could/should have stopped the ball reaching Sarr on both goals, particularly the first, and last one is all on Trent. Today's was the failure of a whole team, utterly pointless highlighting individuals.

I agree. He's the new whipping boy since Moreno left. Frankly I really dont think it would have made a difference if Joe or Matip had of played. Our form has been poor the last 3 or 4 games. We werent great at Norwich.

• Upvote 1

Has to say Hendo is a big miss though. It is pretty obvious we don't have a particularly creative midfield but it has not been a major issue this season, as we've pretty much always beat the opposition for intensity. As Klopp pointed ages ago, counterpressing can be a remarkable playmaker in its own. However, lack of both creativity and intensity is a recipe for utter disaster.

Just like against West Ham, we were second best to just about every second ball and the counter-pressing was seriously underwhelming. Hendo, at the very least, ensures we don't get outplayed in these areas. Anfield helped us up the intensity after going 2-1 down against West Ham, but we were never going to get away with a lack of intensity in this game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

I agree. He's the new whipping boy since Moreno left. Frankly I really dont think it would have made a difference if Joe or Matip had of played. Our form has been poor the last 3 or 4 games. We werent great at Norwich.

Absolute bollocks.

• Upvote 5

Just now, dockers_strike said:

But you know, Lovren made Virgil lose Sarr for their second goal... and he mind-controlled Trent into playing that pass for their third. Something something...

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Lovren just puts the shits up our own defenders and we lose the confidence we have with Gomez or Matip.

Well if Lovren put the shits up them TAA must have injected them with the fear virus given his performance, as he was comfortably the worst of the back four.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think it would. Lovren is almost always part of these exceptionally bad defensive performances. We actually won the matches you mentioned.

Guest Pistonbroke

Once reality kicks in Everton and City fans will be gutted as they'll have wanted desperately to stop us going unbeaten, I bet Everton fans already had shirts and medals made up for it. 

1 minute ago, viRdjil said:

Too many revenge negs VD!

I negged CS and Stroganoff quite a bit tonight.I notice you negged me after I negged you.

Not revenge though. When you talk shite you get negged, when you say something worthy of note, you get repped. Thought we’d gone over that before mate. A lot of people neg you, I only seem to get negged by you my old mucker.

Anyway I’m off to have a few bevvies, you should too, drown our sorrows.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'll still take just the league by any means, but if we do win it with a few matches to go and we're still in the other competitions at least we'll be able to rotate and not worry about an unbeaten league season.  I think that's a long way off though and we'll be lucky to come through this rough patch with everything still intact. 

Hopefully means blooding the likes of jones and minimino now in the league when it’s wrapped up for the future benefit it will bring.

10 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

So many people are afraid to just say it like it is. I don’t understand why. Virgil had his worst game for us. Trent was awful. Mane was horrendous. Against West Ham we conceded two stupid goals too without Lovren on the pitch. Lovren wasn’t great but to blame that on him is just cowardly and a bit pathetic if I’m honest.

Two things can be true: Number 1, we are an objectively worse team with Lovren playing. Number 2, that's not 100% his fault, but it's also best that he play as few matches as possible. 

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

I think it would. Lovren is almost always part of these exceptionally bad defensive performances. We actually won the matches you mentioned.

But only because the forward line played well. Lovren has fuck all to do with the way the forward line played, and we’ve won the other PL games Lovren has played, so maybe we could just acknowledge the team as a whole had an off day. But no, let’s heap it on one guy. 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Well if Lovren put the shits up them TAA must have injected them with the fear virus given his performance, as he was comfortably the worst of the back four.

TAA is one of our main weapons in an attacking/adding to M/F sense (allowing our front three to stay up front more, not that it worked today mind) and both Gomez and Matip handle the covering aspects a lot better than Lovren. In his defence he hasn't played a lot this season, which is probably a good thing. Fuck knows what he does in training. 

2 minutes ago, J-V said:

Absolute bollocks.

It really isnt. Look, the result was bad but if you want to believe the defending from Trent, van Dijk and Robbo was pants because Lovren was in the team tonight, knock yourself out.

It might have escaped your notice, we had 1 shot on target. I suppose Lovren made Mo, Sadio and Bobby plus the whole midfield shite.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Two things can be true: Number 1, we are an objectively worse team with Lovren playing. Number 2, that's not 100% his fault, but it's also best that he plays as few matches as possible. 

He didn’t have a good game, but why absolve our ‘star players’ of the accountability? They’re not gonna read your posts. Just call it like it is. Why blame Lovren for someone else’s mistake? It’s cowardice.

Just watched the highlights, such as they were. Apart from Nivea Man hitting the post from distance, it looked just like this match thread suggested, with awful defending and nothing in midfield and attack. The game was almost a throwback to when Klopp first arrived. We were battered 3-0 then too, with Bogdan and Skrtel in particular having stinkers.

A lot of people are blaming Degsy and his presence may well have unsettled the other defenders, but they were shambolic in their own right. "Where was Matip?", people are asking. He was probably busy digging up some obscure facts about coconuts. There's no guarantee that things would have been different with Big Bird in there rather than Degsy. That said, I think the last time Degsy played was the calamitous display at Shrewsbury, so there is a valid argument to suggest that his race is run in this squad and that it's time to move on.

A lot of people think Hendo's absence was crucial. He has been our best midfielder this season, but there was no excuse for the huge drop-off in organisation, solidity and consistency that we saw tonight. The options we have available are more than capable of coping without the club captain.

We have had a number of games this season where the performances have been lacking, only to overcome it with sheer force of will and a desire to keep going to the last by making things happen. It didn't happen tonight, and as a result we've lost our unbeaten record, failed to set a new PL record for consecutive wins, and failed to scored in the league for the first time in a year.

This game does not encapsulate our season by any means (the number of points we are clear by is testament to this fact), but the players need to put it behind them, give themselves a kick up the arse and get back to what we've been doing all season long. Let's wrap up the league.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It really isnt. Look, the result was bad but if you want to believe the defending from Trent, van Dijk and Robbo was pants because Lovren was in the team tonight, knock yourself out.

It might have escaped your notice, we had 1 shot on target. I suppose Lovren made Mo, Sadio and Bobby plus the whole midfield shite.

It obviously escaped your notice but I bolded the part of your message I was referring to.

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

He didn’t have a good game, but why absolve our ‘star players’ of the accountability? They’re not gonna read your posts. Just call it like it is. Why blame Lovren for someone else’s mistake?

No one has absolved anybody of anything. This is the worst performance from a Liverpool in team in years. Everybody was shite, that's implied.

But Lovren has a stigma of not being good, therefore he gets more criticism. I know you disagree, but surely you get that?