You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I knew Henderson had what was required to be a success

TLW

Steven Gerrard has spoken about the satisfaction in the development of Jordan Henderson as he stands on the brink of lifting Liverpool’s first league trophy in three decades.

Following in the footsteps of one of Liverpool’s greatest ever players was never an easy task, let alone someone like the former Sunderland man who already had plenty of doubters regarding whether he had what it took to succeed at a top club.

While there have been ups and downs there is little doubt that the skipper has come into his own and is a fine all-round midfielder and leader of men.

Speaking to former teammate Danny Murphy for a wide ranging piece in the Mail on Sunday, Gerrard said Henderson was prepared to work his backside off for the good of the team.

"We both know there are players who are "at it" every day and I appreciated Jordan's power and fitness by training with him. 

“Some players play for themselves, Jordan does the dirty running, grappling for second balls, 12 or 13km Saturday and Wednesday, again and again. 

“Teams can't function at Liverpool's level without a cog like Jordan Henderson. He's obviously going be a Premier League winner. 

“I look at him and think: good for you.”

Gerrard recalls a time when he had a heart to heart conversation with Henderson a few years ago when his future looked anything but certain.

"I remember a chat with Jordan in LA a while ago and he wasn't sure whether he was coming or going at the club. 

“I remember saying to him don't give up on Liverpool, you'll be fine.

"I knew what he had inside and that he would get there.

"You know with certain people.

"He has lifted the European Cup above his head.

“He has that confidence now."

d1b55601043a88ce8aeb7842624e155e--steven-gerrard-liverpool.jpg

Gerrard also touched on the respect and pride he has for one of his contemporaries in Frank Lampard for taking on the Chelsea job under difficult circumstances and his wish to rekindle that rivalry on the touchline in the years ahead.

But for know, his greatest admiration is for the man currently in the Anfield hot seat. 

“Klopp has this stature.

"When he walks in a room, it's "Whoa,"

"If he was your manager you'd think "I am running here".

"This Liverpool team are monsters and it's come from him the moment he arrived.

“For the players to have that level of respect for their manager in a modern dressing room is special. 

“You can see everyone is tuned in, physically and mentally. 

“To get that from your players is a tough nut to crack.

"And I sense Liverpool is growing again around the world.”

View full article