You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Karius to return to Liverpool after Besiktas loan

TLW

Loris Karius is heading back to Liverpool at the end of the season.

The German goalkeeper’s two year loan spell with Besiktas concludes in May and The Mirror (via The Athletic) says that the Turkish club have no plans to trigger the buy-on clause to make the deal permanent.

The spell of Karius in England was littered with high profile blunders highlighted by his calamitous performance in the 2018 Champions League final and those mistakes have continued to haunt him in Turkey.

loris-karius.jpg

So much so that last March Senol Gunes his manager at the time said:

“Karius has gone a bit stagnant, something is wrong with his electricity, motivation, enthusiasm for the game."

The 26 year-old will return to his parent club, but he will do so in the knowledge that there is no future for him at the Reds.

Not only is his replacement Alisson firmly ensconced as the No 1, he is widely acknowledged as the best goalkeeper in World Football.

The backup role is ably filled by Adrian who did a fine job at the start of the season when the Brazilian was out with a calf injury.

While youngster Caoimhín Kelleher has gained experience in domestic cup competitions.

So all that means that the inconsistent German will be on the lookout for another club.

There is a wide held view that goalkeepers mature much later that their outfield colleagues so in that sense Karius has many years to make an impression in the game.

Just how much the Reds can get for him will be very interesting to note.

View full article

Karuis's performance in the European cup final was not his fault.

I watched the match at Anfield on the gigantic screen, in the kop. 

It was the single most disastrous display I, personally, have ever seen.

But he didn't mean it, and I think it's fucked for Reds to hold it against the boy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Look at the difference between Karius and alisson. They were bought by the same scouting department and yet the difference between them is light years. Shows that even using data, statistics and what not, nobody is assured of a 100% hit rate

Or one cost £4m and one cost £67m because the stats were very different.

For £4m we knew we were buying potential whilst for £67m we were buying the best

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Karuis's performance in the European cup final was not his fault.

I watched the match at Anfield on the gigantic screen, in the kop. 

It was the single most disastrous display I, personally, have ever seen.

But he didn't mean it, and I think it's fucked for Reds to hold it against the boy.

Spot on, Kev. 

Bring a red home.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redheart said:

For £4m we knew we were buying potential whilst for £67m we were buying the best

Am not condemning the scouting department dude, he was seen as the answer for us and  unfortunately it didn't work out. Alisson would have been lot cheaper if we had bought him instead of Karius

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I thought there was an automatically triggered clause if he played enough games?

In the last 2 years, we've won the European cup, the world club cup, the super cup and have effectively ended a 30 year title drought.

And Barry still vaguely remembers the intricacies of Lloris Karius's loan contract; Wom is taking no chances.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

From the guardian at the time of the deal....

The deal would become a permanent £7.25m transfer should Besiktas qualify for Europe and Karius play a sufficient number of matches.

he plays most weeks doesn't he? So will besiktas get in Europe?

Haha.

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I fear for the lads mental health, I really do. 

So do I Chris. He's clearly a bag of nerves, he looks completely broken, and for the sake of his long term mental health I honestly think he needs to retire from football altogether. Step away from the spotlight and scrutiny and the pressures that must obviously bring, allow himself the space and privacy needed to fully recover.

1 hour ago, redheart said:

That said,  Karius was the best goalkeeper in Germany in the 18 months before we signed him. Calm, cool, assured, authorative, confident, everything he wasn't for us.

The only time I can remember being more surprised that one of our signings bombed for us was Christian Zeige, another German.

Timo Werner, buyer beware...

21 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

From the guardian at the time of the deal....

The deal would become a permanent £7.25m transfer should Besiktas qualify for Europe and Karius play a sufficient number of matches.

he plays most weeks doesn't he? So will besiktas get in Europe?

I read the article yesterday and I’m pretty sure it said Besiktas are currently 7th in their league. Sounds like they could really use a proper goalkeeper. 

56 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

Rejection and depression is a terrible and awful thing, but nowhere near as terrible and awful as his goalkeeping.

Haha. Harsh.

I'm sorry of the lad has mental issues but not making the grade probably happens to most young footballers . He must have made a few bob so he has options and getting away from professional football must be a sensible choice. 

Klopp probably partly to blame for persevering too long with the fella when it was plain to see he wasn't up to the job.

Anyway it kick-started the club , a few seasons too late imo, to go and buy a proven star keeper. 

6 hours ago, redheart said:

I mean this is clearly the right answer. Trying to compare the Karius and Alisson deals and being confused as to why both players didn’t yield the same outcome is akin to being baffled on why a Ford Fiesta doesn’t have the acceleration as a Ferrari or the teller at your local bank branch isn’t closing deals at JP Morgan. Both players were priced accordingly (and no, Karius was never ever ever better than Manuel Neuer .. or else he wouldn’t be sold for £4 million from a mature European league). He didn’t make it at City as a youth player, he then had a couple of half decent mid table seasons after going there on a free transfer and has crashed and regressed since. It’s normal. A lot of players’ trajectories just aren’t noticed because they don’t come to Liverpool FC in the middle of it. If anything he should probably be thankful that he’s been paid and given contracts way above his talent warrants, presumably. He was catastrophic for us - almost dumped us out of Europe twice before the eventual happened.