You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Centrists

aRdja

26 minutes ago, Ted & Phyllis (from number 14) said:

What were liberal policies like before the Labour Party kicked them into touch so to speak. Was the liberal attitude to workers and employees just as we find now? Freedom to create great profit at the expense of the working classes? 

It’s a serious question, as it seems the real progress with regards social welfare all came after the inception of the Labour Party.

Its a good question. I think the liberals made huge strides in some of those areas with welfare reforms and so on; but it was a vastly different time - honestly I don’t feel too qualified to make an informed argument here but it’s a question I’d like to explore further at some point 

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Hadley Freeman the Guardian hack is a centrist not Dawn Butler.

James O’Brien is just a disgusting human being. I used to listen to his LBC show... He’s a fucking bully, enjoys nothing more than getting one over Brexit-voting callers, without ever attempting to understand why they voted Leave. Clearly loves the sound of his own voice. 

Well, at least the first point makes some more sense, although I’m not really sure what that has to do with centrism either. It’d be just as easy to start a thread about ‘leftists’ with somebody saying or doing something cunty - let’s go with Galloway saying something about pussy cats - and implying it’s a problem with lefties. Honestly, when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a thread with a critique of centrist views and those who espouse them. I’m to me, it seems like you need to put the Twitter app down for a bit. 

As for James O’Brien, well, I don’t always agree with him - though more often than not I probably will - but this whole ‘vermin that’s a vile, disgusting human’ thing for saying some stuff about Brexit you don’t like and being cunty with people, often idiots, on the radio is, in my opinion, a gross misrepresentation of the person. 

But whatever. Put a brick through the Overton window, what do I care. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, at least the first point makes some more sense, although I’m not really sure what that has to do with centrism either. It’d be just as easy to start a thread about ‘leftists’ with somebody saying or doing something cunty - let’s go with Galloway saying something about pussy cats - and implying it’s a problem with lefties. Honestly, when I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a thread with a critique of centrist views and those who espouse them. I’m to me, it seems like you need to put the Twitter app down for a bit. 

As for James O’Brien, well, I don’t always agree with him - though more often than not I probably will - but this whole ‘vermin that’s a vile, disgusting human’ thing for saying some stuff about Brexit you don’t like and being cunty with people, often idiots, on the radio is, in my opinion, a gross misrepresentation of the person. 

But whatever. Put a brick through the Overton window, what do I care. 

Nah I created this thread  purely to mock and for lols.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah... dunno, seems not that funny. Or maybe just misnamed. Dawn Butler saying babies are born without sex was quite funny though. 

Really clumsy. I’m sure she meant gender... but yeah definitely just as bad as eugenics (if you believe them twats)

6 minutes ago, moof said:

James O’Brien is quite clearly a narcissist. Sometimes has reasonable points but at the end of the day, he’s a reactionary narcissist who is as happy punching down as anyone I’ve encountered. 

Oh, there’s no doubt he punches down a lot. I mean, that’s going to happen because, actually, he’s fucking smart - meaning that most people aren’t to his level, and because he’s a host where people of the public phone up and say some weird shit, and because, well, it’s easy. That’s not to his credit. At least at times. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

If ‘obsessing over’ means responding to a thread...which is obviously bollocks. Then yes. 

you are full of shit and I’m on hand to help the masses. 

You seem to really struggle to stick to the topic and almost always without fail focus your energy on (yup you guessed it) ME.

I mean it is somewhat flattering, but real unwarranted. I’ve met a number of posters IRL, and I’m sure they’ll all tell you that I’m just a regular guy.

3 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Really clumsy. I’m sure she meant gender... but yeah definitely just as bad as eugenics (if you believe them twats)

Well, yes. Certainly not as bad as eugenics. Though, not a principle policy of any Center it’s organisation so much as a twat on Twitter.  

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, there’s no doubt he punches down a lot. I mean, that’s going to happen because, actually, he’s fucking smart - meaning that most people aren’t to his level, and because he’s a host where people of the public phone up and say some weird shit, and because, well, it’s easy. That’s not to his credit. At least at times. 

Mate... Jesus Christ 

12 minutes ago, moof said:

Mate... Jesus Christ 

I can’t really guess your point, mate. That’s my view on n why he comes across like that at times. Most of the time I think he’s one of the best people on radio, far from being anything like he has been described in this thread. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I can’t really guess your point, mate. That’s my view on n why he comes across like that at times. Most of the time I think he’s one of the best people on radio, far from being anything like he has been described in this thread. 

Punching down isn’t a natural byproduct of being “fucking smart” is, I suppose, my point. Not trying to have an argument about it or anything, I realise you said it wasn’t always to his credit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, moof said:

Punching down isn’t a natural byproduct of being “fucking smart” is, I suppose, my point. Not trying to have an argument about it or anything, I realise you said it wasn’t always to his credit. 

I think it can be, like, if you’re just willing to punch anybody who makes a point you disagree with them being smarter than them generally makes it look like punching down. That and, ya know, being a bit of a cunt.