You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I am really interested in the Man City case for obvious reasons

TLW

7 hours ago, Alex_K said:

It wouldn’t be a default win though, would it? It would be a title retrospectively awarded to the team that played by the rules in the given season. The word “default” implies an automatic-awarding — if City won that title by 2 points due to financial illegalities (which we all knew the case to be for years) then it rightly should be given to the side that did not commit a crime. The best legal team out of the 20 that competed.

Gerrard is probably bouncing off the walls; we were superb that season, the best team in the land, and he has fucking inbreeds throughout the land fixated on that slip while the team that beat us by a couple of points were pumping 10s of millions of illegal monies into a squad that beat us by 2 points. It was a robbery; you don’t catch the thieves then question whether you should return the loot to the deserving.

7 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

As much as I'd love this title, especially for Stevie and the rest of the squad and Brendan, a big part of me feels they won the 2014 title fair and square on the pitch, even if off it they were cheating scum.

You're right, Alex, "default" would be the wrong word.

And I agree with Ronnie on this one.

For me, it would be a hollow victory, because I don't think the City lads playing did anything wrong.

Their overlords did.

Good luck to Stevie if he'd want it - fine - and I'd hope stopping banal songs from opposition supporters wasn't one of the reasons.  Besides, if those cunts could be arsed - let's face it, they've far nastier things to sing about Liverpool given our tragedies and to spit bile about given our impending success - they'd probably think of an insulting way to belittle Stevie getting the title this way.

And for someone that isn't saying anything, I think he's saying too much in the article above myself.

But, that's just me.

Fair fucks if such a title materialises - but not my cup of tea.

8 hours ago, Trumo said:

Would the club awarded the win then need to fulfil bonus commitments that they initially didn't have to given that they didn't win the trophy?

The club could argue that if it didn't itself get the financial rewards from winning the league, it shouldn't have to pay them.

18 hours ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'm not sure they'd send you one mate. 

haha yeah that will teach me for talking with the mrs and typing at the same time. I was saying to her if i was him i wouldnt want it.......she really needs to sign up and stop asking me whats being said 

I'd have no qualms about the club accepting it , I don't see any athletes complaining about the fact they have retrospectively upgraded medals , just the fact that they lost the initial buzz and acclaim. As for the argument that City won it fair and squarely on the pitch , a lot of the players involved would never have been there in the first place if they hadn't cheated on an industrial level.

The main reason I would welcome it , is for the chance for good, honest professionals such as Skrtel, Suarez, Mignolet, Agger, Lucas, Coutinho, Sturridge, Allen, Flanagan, Kolo and others to put a Premiership winner tag on their c.v's.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'd have no qualms about the club accepting it , I don't see any athletes complaining about the fact they have retrospectively upgraded medals , just the fact that they lost the initial buzz and acclaim. As for the argument that City won it fair and squarely on the pitch , a lot of the players involved would never have been there in the first place if they hadn't cheated on an industrial level.

The main reason I would welcome it , is for the chance for good, honest professionals such as Skrtel, Suarez, Mignolet, Agger, Lucas, Coutinho, Sturridge, Allen, Flanagan, Kolo and others to put a Premiership winner tag on their c.v's.

Exactly this. In every professional sport I know, you cheat, you lose your medals and titles. You robbed 'clean' or other compliant sportsmen and women of the titles they would have won. You've also robbed them of the accolade of receiving their medals and titles. You've robbed them of all the years hard work and effort tosucceed without cheating. Cheats stole all that from those who didnt cheat.

Im finding it ironic that city fans have trended(?) the 'taintedtitles tag but, it has come full back on them.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think City won the title on the pitch and we lost it on the pitch too. As for the crooks who run most PL clubs its a case of 'they who have not sinned' step forward,and nobody will.

This is silly - are you suggesting there are other teams that are doing anything near what City have been accused of?

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think City won the title on the pitch and we lost it on the pitch too. As for the crooks who run most PL clubs its a case of 'they who have not sinned' step forward,and nobody will.

Yes, Ben Johnson won on the track and his opponents lost on the same one. Sharon Davies lost in the pool that her drugged opponent won in. It's too easy to say hard luck losers, you were beaten by a cheat but we're still not recognising you as the rightful winners.

42 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, Ben Johnson won on the track and his opponents lost on the same one.

Not sure that's the best example, with 5 of the other 7 in that race subsequently testing positive or having some involvement in the use or supply of performance enhancers.

Are players that thick that they don’t have a clue where and how they earn their money?
Do their agents shield them from the financial intricacies of what they train and play for?
I think that much of what goes on is known well enough, but there’s a code of silence that is adhered to because, let’s be honest here, it’s extremely likely City aren’t the only club to have bent the rules.

Where there’s big money, there’s corruption.

It’s been mentioned already they are gathering “evidence” against other clubs to use in their defence.

They’re in the position that could make them say, “If we go, we take you with us.”

Steve Gerrard is right to say wait and see, because nothings been decided yet that’s different to now, which means he’s still a runner up.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

This is silly - are you suggesting there are other teams that are doing anything near what City have been accused of?

Yes. Probably United and Chelsea too. Maybe not on City's scale but probably broken rules too. The whole game is run by criminals,UEFA and FIFA are rotten to the core.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yes, Ben Johnson won on the track and his opponents lost on the same one. Sharon Davies lost in the pool that her drugged opponent won in. It's too easy to say hard luck losers, you were beaten by a cheat but we're still not recognising you as the rightful winners.

Have City's players been taking performance enhancing drugs too? And here I was thinking it was just run of the mill financial corruption, which is so common nowadays, that they were up to their neck in.

On 17/02/2020 at 12:09, andyj said:

if they stripped city of the title i wouldnt want a winners medal regardless of them cheating we threw it away that season we didnt need any help from city 

Good job you wouldn't be getting a winners medal then. They players that came second to cheaters would.

Not that it will happen.

38 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yes. Probably United and Chelsea too. Maybe not on City's scale but probably broken rules too. The whole game is run by criminals,UEFA and FIFA are rotten to the core.

United are cooking the books?? They are a cash cow mate -- the idea that the Glazers are pumping in any money whatsoever -- much less amounts anywhere near a billion is ridiculous. 

Chelsea's time came before FFP was introduced - remember this is UEFA not the league.

The league couldn't give a shit.

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

United are cooking the books?? They are a cash cow mate -- the idea that the Glazers are pumping in any money whatsoever -- much less amounts anywhere near a billion is ridiculous. 

Chelsea's time came before FFP was introduced - remember this is UEFA not the league.

The league couldn't give a shit.

I take it all with a pinch of salt. Any sense of fairness or legality in top level football disappeared a long while ago.