You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our front three

Mil-ing Around

Klopp likes Werner, he's already tried to get him here once.

If Klopp thinks Werner has the minerals to become a beast that's good enough for me.

A similar vein of things were said about Mane before he signed and he hasn't exactly disappointed.

And Robertson, and Wijnaldum.  They all had question marks against them in one way or another and they've all completely blown that guff out of the water.

Factor in that the likely price fits into FSG's strategy of buying potential relatively cheaply and letting Klopp turn them into world beaters whose value explodes, and talk of him rocking up here in the summer becomes more plausible.

I think there's more mileage in the Werner story than Sancho or Mbappe simply because of the finances involved.  The latter 2 are stupid money, not really FSG's style.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I doubt a player of Werner's reputation would be happy with that, tbh.

Werner would be crawling over broken glass to get to a club Liverpool. He's turning 24 soon, so he's not that young. If he's worried about competition and not playing every game at this point in his career, he'll never leave Leipzig for a big club. 

In terms of the question posed here, it depends on what the players want. If someone wants to go, you let them go. But if not, it's a bit unthinkable to have such an amazing season, potentially win everything, break records and then tell one of them "sorry gotta go, you're 28". We're definitely keeping all three one more season.

It's definitely smart to think about selling them gradually, though. Naturally the motivation will wane, etc... Summer 2021 would be a good time to replace one of them as there's no international tournament so there's all summer to bed someone in. But if one of them goes, I'd say you have to buy two players because there is no single player out there who can replace the production by himself. 

I wouldn't buy Sancho to replace one of them, I'd simply buy him because he is a future superstar. We should be in for those types of players, I want to say pretty much no matter what the market sets these players at. I don't know why a 100m+ fee should deter us from buying a 19 year player who is already world class. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Werner would be crawling over broken glass to get to a club Liverpool. He's turning 24 soon, so he's not that young. If he's worried about competition and not playing every game at this point in his career, he'll never leave Leipzig for a big club. 

Well if that article's accurate, he certainly was concerned about competition here. But I'm not sure how that prevents him going to a big club. He could be worried about those things and still join one.

3 hours ago, INTORRESTING said:

We would be mad to let any of the front 3 go anywhere for at least 2 more seasons. We wont sign Mbappe or Sancho unless Nike are paying. Even then, i doubt Klopp would go for it. 

We are the best and they are the best front 3. Let's just enjoy it.  Salah's record is out of this world but i get the sense some would let him go - insane.

I understand it but I don’t agree with it.

Salah is obviously crowded out a lot these days, and when you look at an attack breaking down with him it’s tempting to think how Mbappe might have done better, picturing him skipping over 2 tackles and scoring or whatever. The reality is the space created for others makes Mo a pretty selfless player. Look at the stats. Look at the results. Would his replacement have 3 men on him than very time he got in the box? If not, how would that effect the rest of the team? 

20 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Werner is a far better finisher - not sure what you are on about on the size thing either -- they are same size, Werner probably a little heavier. 

Werner is 5ft 9 and Sancho is 6ft. Plus i think Sancho will fill out more and get stronger as he gets older. Werner is going to be 24 next month, I'm not sure how much more his body is going to develop now. He looks slight in frame to me. 

Shorter players have to have unbelievable talent to make it in the premiership. Hazard, Salah, Mane and even Sterling showed their talent from a very young age. I'm genuinely asking if Werner has that level of talent to play in attack for the best team in the world?

20 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Some nonsense about Werner there. Must not have watched him much.

I admit i don't watch him every week but i definitely watched him in the last world cup and he really struggled. He was quite poor against a deep lying defence, which we face most weeks in the Premiership. 

I'm happy to be proven wrong but does he show star qualities and do things on the ball that make you sit up and notice him? I don't think he does.

Salah at Basel did, Chelsea he got Mourinho'd and then at Roma he looked good again. He's also quick as fuck and strong as an ox.

Mane, super quick, constantly beating players with dribbles and showed at Southampton that he produced moments that made you sit up and notice his ability.

Show me where Werner does this? (btw its a genuine question, im happy to be proven wrong on this but i just haven't seen it personally)

Sancho definitely does this. He's even had moments in an England shirt where you think wow, this kid is super talented. I'm not saying he is the best player ever, but he has all the ability and star quality and we have the manager to nurture it.

17 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

In terms of the question posed here, it depends on what the players want. If someone wants to go, you let them go. But if not, it's a bit unthinkable to have such an amazing season, potentially win everything, break records and then tell one of them "sorry gotta go, you're 28". We're definitely keeping all three one more season.

It's definitely smart to think about selling them gradually, though. Naturally the motivation will wane, etc... Summer 2021 would be a good time to replace one of them as there's no international tournament so there's all summer to bed someone in. But if one of them goes, I'd say you have to buy two players because there is no single player out there who can replace the production by himself. 

I wouldn't buy Sancho to replace one of them, I'd simply buy him because he is a future superstar. We should be in for those types of players, I want to say pretty much no matter what the market sets these players at. I don't know why a 100m+ fee should deter us from buying a 19 year player who is already world class. 

Exactly. I watched an interview with Melissa Ready where she said we are happy to spend big on "transformers" meaning players who will instantly make us better in any given position. Like Alisson and Van Dijk. Will Sancho make us better? I'm not sure but he definitely won't be a step down on what we already have and we are going to have to rebuild that front 3 soon.

We have Jones, who i think is a quality player and has a great chance at making it here. Add Sancho to the other wide forward position now and in 2 years time we have already gone a massive way to re-building that front line. With Elliot getting better and better too. 

I just think if we don't sign Sancho now and let him go somewhere else it will be a mistake, we are in our strongest position for 30 years and can pretty much get our pick of the best young players in the world. These players don't come around very often and we have the best manager in the world at developing them. 

Barcelona had the best front 3 in the world a few years ago, now look at them. They let one go, and two have age'd, all of a sudden they are vulnerable and scratching around panicking and signing anybody to fix the issue. 

28 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Barcelona had the best front 3 in the world a few years ago, now look at them. They let one go, and two have age'd, all of a sudden they are vulnerable and scratching around panicking and signing anybody to fix the issue. 

If only they had the foresight to spunk huge money on the latest hype job from Dortmund. 

On the one hand Timo Werner apparently has clause for £51m, which for a relatively young forward who has 23 goals this season, would look to be a bargain, and its part of our strategy to moneyball these situations and look for players with clauses which undervalues them. Werner would seem like a very sensible choice.

On the other hand, Sancho, at 19 years old, is already posting elite level numbers and showing that he has the potential to be one of the best in the world. If you have the chance to sign a player like that, you sign a player like that as you hopefully get 10 years out of a world class player, and, it stops your rivals from having him too!

So, it would seem to me that the sensible option would be to buy both of them!

• Upvote 1