You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our front three

Mil-ing Around

Following on from the discussion in the transfer thread, i thought i'd see what peoples opinions are on what we do next season with our front three?

Afcon, olympics, Euro's, Copa America will all take it's toll on our squad/attackers next season i think.  Mane will be 28, Salah 28, Firmino 29 and they would have played together for 3 seasons here. Speed players don't last as long as others and the drop off is usually faster. I think next year would be a great time to freshen up the attack and look towards our next re-build of sorts. Don't wait for the decline, change when your at the top. That cunt fergie was a master at it. Sell Salah and get Mbappe would be my choice but i don't think we'd smash our wage structure like that. Even if i do think he'd come and i reckon we can afford the fee. 

We kept our powder dry last summer and i think we have the money to go big in the summer. Talk is of Werner but, as i said in the transfer thread, is he really an elite level attacker? He isn't mane or Salah quick, he's fast but we need blistering speed for our system. It's what makes it work and the drop off in performance is noticeable when either of those two are out. They can beat players with skill/pace/dribbling. Is Werner anymore skillful than Oxlaide or Minamino? I don't think by much and i don't think he's any quicker either. Don't get me wrong, he's a good player but does he have the potential to be one of the best int he world? I'm not so sure.

We've seen Kieta struggle with the strength and pace of the league at times and i think Minamino will find it hard too. Will Werner be the same, he looks quite small and slight in frame. 

That's why i think we should get Sancho. He's 19, great acceleration, skill, dribbling and has huge potential to get even better. He's also tall and will get only get stronger and knows English football. With City fucked, will he want to go there now? Chelsea just bought Ziyech and have Hudson Odoi & Pulisic. Spurs are shit, United are shit and he won't go to Leicester. We should be all over him and i hope we get him. There was a time 5 years ago when players like that would never choose Liverpool over some of those clubs, but not anymore. 

Klopp will be here for 4 more years and has a great track record with attackers. Sancho would only be 24 then. For me it's the perfect signing and makes the most sense.  

What is peoples opinion? Would you keep the front three together next year and add another good player like Werner to rotate in and out. Or would you try and add another potential superstar and really go for it and put pressure on each of them for their place?

• Downvote 2

Sancho will probably be silly money but given his age, and potential to be world class, speed, skills etc, could be great fit. There will be Plenty of games, and we can shuffle a few bigger wages out the door hopefully 

Having said that I've only seen clips here and there, don't know much about Werner at all.

If Werner happens, I think we'll most likely see one of the front three on their way out (Salah, if I had to put money on it). Personally I'm loathe to change anything about a team that's functioning so well, but I also trust the coaching/recruitment staff to get it right if we do, so I'm pretty much fine with it. I also think if we got Werner we'd see another fairly big money signing (around 60m).

I doubt we let Salah go this year even if he wants to. Also not so sure anyone is going to pony up a big wedge for a player they may well not have in preseason and will lose to AFCON.

I think we will get Werner - too much smoke already.

So next season we have the Three Amigos with Werner and Minamino as backup.

Shaq goes, Lallana goes and Curtis Jones makes up the numbers in midfield.

That makes us a better side than we have now.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I doubt we let Salah go this year even if he wants to. Also not so sure anyone is going to pony up a big wedge for a player they may well not have in preseason and will lose to AFCON.

I think we will get Werner - too much smoke already.

So next season we have the Three Amigos with Werner and Minamino as backup.

Shaq goes, Lallana goes and Curtis Jones makes up the numbers in midfield.

That makes us a better side than we have now.

I doubt a player of Werner's reputation would be happy with that, tbh.

We would be mad to let any of the front 3 go anywhere for at least 2 more seasons. We wont sign Mbappe or Sancho unless Nike are paying. Even then, i doubt Klopp would go for it. 

We are the best and they are the best front 3. Let's just enjoy it.  Salah's record is out of this world but i get the sense some would let him go - insane.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

We would be mad to let any of the front 3 go anywhere for at least 2 more seasons. We wont sign Mbappe or Sancho unless Nike are paying. Even then, i doubt Klopp would go for it. 

We are the best and they are the best front 3. Let's just enjoy it.  Salah's record is out of this world but i get the sense some would let him go - insane.

I do agree with that but can't see us not selling one of the stars whilst their value is sky high, which funds 'phase 2'. Replacing these 3 is going to be one hell of a task but in Jürgen we trust.

16 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

I doubt a player of Werner's reputation would be happy with that, tbh.

What?

His biggest achievement to date in senior footy is Player of the Month FFS. He is playing for a team that has never won anything - at all. In their illustrious ten year history.

And he is linked to the current best team in the world that is gearing up to do even more?? With one of the most storied histories in the game?

Actually I take that back - his biggest achievement to date is being linked to a transfer to LFC.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

What?

His biggest achievement to date in senior footy is Player of the Month FFS. He is playing for a team that has never won anything - at all. With a ten year history.

And he is linked to the current best team in the world that is gearing up to do even more??

Actually I take that back - his biggest achievement to date is being linked to a transfer to LCF.

Yes, his reputation is solely decided by the success of his current club, in the same way Zidane's was at Bordeux. Great point.

No his reputation is based on his accomplishments - which individually are now equal to a lad that played less than 60 minutes of footy last month.

Henderson: Hey Timo - heard alot about you - good things man. Lots of good stuff.

Like you to meet Sadio Mane - yea, Golden Boot winner - this fella is the African Player of the Year, oh and been in the team of the year for the league a couple times too. Good guy.

Oh hey, Bobby!! Timo this is the Dazzler - you may have heard of him "There's some thing that the Kop want you to know" I think he used to play in your league. Team of the Year there, not sure though. Did win a Copa, and of course, CL team of the year. In the year we didn't win it!! Weird right. 

Anyway -- ah Mo!!

Good lad here -- Player of the Year for every team he has been with, and every league, multiple Golden Boot winner.

He's a little tweaked that Sadio took his African award this year, HAH. I think he even won some Fashion award. 

So, uh, Timo -- who did you play for again?

Timo: RB Leipzig

Hendo: No shit!!?? Kinell man, Naby (Bundesliga Team of the Year and club POTY) is right over there -- on

THE BENCH!!

None of our front three will be sold in the Summer.

Amussing how people think Sancho is the best thing since sliced bread considering Werner has done more in the Bundesliga and for longer.

Don't get me wrong I wanted Sancho before he left City but for £100mill + we won't go near him.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

No his reputation is based on his accomplishments - which individually are now equal to a lad that played less than 60 minutes of footy last month.

Henderson: Hey Timo - heard alot about you - good things man. Lots of good stuff.

Like you to meet Sadio Mane - yea, Golden Boot winner - this fella is the African Player of the Year, oh and been in the team of the year for the league a couple times too. Good guy.

Oh hey, Bobby!! Timo this is the Dazzler - you may have heard of him "There's some thing that the Kop want you to know" I think he used to play in your league. Team of the Year there, not sure though. Did win a Copa, and of course, CL team of the year. In the year we didn't win it!! Weird right. 

Anyway -- ah Mo!!

Good lad here -- Player of the Year for every team he has been with, and every league, multiple Golden Boot winner.

He's a little tweaked that Sadio took his African award this year, HAH. I think he even won some Fashion award. 

So, uh, Timo -- who did you play for again?

Timo: RB Leipzig

Hendo: No shit!!?? Kinell man, Naby (Bundesliga Team of the Year and club POTY) is right over there -- on

THE BENCH!!

Putting aside the obviously ludicrous notion that the only metric to use when judging a player's reputation is how much their current club has won, we can just go straight to the man himself, and see whether he'd be happy or not to spend a lot of time on the bench:

https://www.90min.com/posts/6533738-timo-werner-turned-down-a-move-to-liverpool-over-game-time-fears