You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (A) Champions League 18/2/20. 20:00

Bjornebye

56 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The collective French media has been shitting itself for a month leading up to this. It's hilarious. The meltdowns when PSG lose in the Champions League, especially in the way that they have recently are unparalleled.

I get a feeling that they feel they are entitled to win it. Arrogant bastards. 

Keep hearing this stuff in the media about us chopping and changing once we have the title clinched. I’m not so sure. For all his tactical acumen, Klopp is far more a rhythm and momentum manager than someone drier like Rafa, who would approach big individual knock-out games more like a chess battle, so didn’t mind playing totally different sides in the game before during the run-in.

Just remember Klopp’s scathing reaction to the suggestion from the likes of Neville that we should rest players in last season’s Champions League for the title push. He was right as well, our league form seemed to be given fresh blood at times based on what we did in Europe.

I can’t help but think he might look for the reverse boost this time. Not suggesting he will keep playing the exact side tonight in every game, and of course he will keep people fresh by making the odd change here and there. He’s been doing that all season though, it’s just modern sports science. Don’t see much changing on that score, and certainly not wholesale changes to prioritise one competition over the other once the league is won. Will be pedal down til the finish in both.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, chevettehs said:

These will be a tough nut to crack.

My prediction for the evening is that before the match the pundits will proceed to talk about them like they are an over 50s pub side that we should absolutely decimate and then if we don't rip them apart for the entire 90 minutes then moan on about how we've not performed. 

I remember not long ago when it was the other way around; people saying before games how great these teams are and we've got no hope and then we completely turn them over and all of a sudden they transform into a Sunday league teams full of has beens from a weak league.

Not to go all Crackle on everyone but this shows how far we've come.

5 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Keep hearing this stuff in the media about us chopping and changing once we have the title clinched. I’m not so sure. For all his tactical acumen, Klopp is far more a rhythm and momentum manager than someone drier like Rafa, who would approach big individual knock-out games more like a chess battle, so didn’t mind playing totally different sides in the game before during the run-in.

Just remember Klopp’s scathing reaction to the suggestion from the likes of Neville that we should rest players in last season’s Champions League for the title push. He was right as well, our league form seemed to be given fresh blood at times based on what we did in Europe.

I can’t help but think he might look for the reverse boost this time. Not suggesting he will keep playing the exact side tonight in every game, and of course he will keep people fresh by making the odd change here and there. He’s been doing that all season though, it’s just modern sports science. Don’t see much changing on that score, and certainly not wholesale changes to prioritise one competition over the other once the league is won. Will be pedal down til the finish in both.

Spot on mate. 

The groove is in the heart.

• Upvote 1

Always liked Saul Niguez, only little but an excellent midfielder.

ATK's old crush Angel Correa is a decent player too.

Jan Oblack, probably the 2nd best goalie in the world.

Thomas Lemar, who come damn close to joining us a few years back.

Atleti are a tough nut to crack. We'll batter them.

Looking at the lineups and I'd say this game will be won or lost on the flanks. Atleti look to be playing pretty narrow, clogging up the midfield.

If we can get Trent and Andy on the ball a lot, they might find some open spaces. If Atleti control the match, it will be a slog through that packed midfield.

Up the Reds!