You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (A) Champions League 18/2/20. 20:00

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Hopefully there's no knock on effect and maybe it has the benefit of just giving us that nudge incase we mentally have taken the foot of the gas a little.

Hope so as the last time we had a similar poor performance against Napoli we didn't do too bad in the following games/months

57 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

In the last 6 years, they've won the UEFA cup, been to 3 Champions league semis' and 2 finals. They showed us last night that they didn't get there accidentally. As for complaints about the ref, he had previously given us penalties in all 3 games he had officiated. It's not his fault that we didn't have a shot on target in 90 minutes.

I hope you're not suggesting that the ref's ineptitude and cowardice wasn't a factor in the way this game played out? We had to take arguably our greatest goal threat off at half time to make sure the ref didn't fall for their shithouse attempts to get Mane sent off. We may well have got a shot on target from the free-kick that should have been given for the blatant foul on Ox on the edge of the box. Maybe we could have created a chance from that move down the right which was halted by a deliberate handball, which, yet again, we didn't get a free-kick for.

Klopp was the first to accept that we weren't as good as we should have been in the final third, but, ffs, it must be bloody hard playing in those circumstances when you know you're going to get fuck all from the ref, whilst he's giving a free-kick to them when you even just look sideways at them, or as Klopp said, so much as blow on them.

• Upvote 1

The ref wasn't great.

We weren't great.

Athletico showed why they have been there or thereabouts in this competition in recent years.

The middle factor is the only one that we can do anything about.

Bad officiating makes the game harder - sometimes for one, sometimes for both teams.

The ref in the second leg might fuck them over.

We won't care if he does.

I watched it with my missus last night who has only really got into watching footie regularly since we’ve been together.

she couldn’t stand the way they were playing and I found myself strangely defending it.

I hate coming up against these types of teams, and I get irate at some of their shithousery, but it’s what makes winning a European cup so special and so hard to do. 

there’s a skill to the way these teams win fouls and break the game up, and while I’d never want us to play that way, it makes European games special.

and the shite refs you get, they add to it too. Infuriating getting free kicks given for no winning the ball in the corner and not getting the blatant foul on ox on the edge of the box and the handball late on, and Gomez getting booked for his first foul where he barely touched the fella, but that’s all part of the mix.

im still confident we’ll blitz them second leg.

• Like 1

They got an early break and then executed their game plan. The fans will have wanted them to stamp their authority in that stadium with us returning so no begrudging the tactics to get a result at any cost. Frustrating that we had to deal with such a poor ref, but it happens at this stage every year. 

Play even 5% better at home and we'll be okay. Any news on Henderson?

"Hardly the ref's fault we were poor."

People parroting this shite couldn't be missing the point more if they tried. Our best offensive weapon is the counter-press. It's our, and virtually all other top team's, main source of creating chances. The ref's incompetence robbed us of that as we couldn't make proper ball winning tackles with their players been given free kicks for any fall. In the second half, Firmino used his body to shunt aside the defender and get on the ball. He does it three times every league game and always do it cleanly. Here, the defender takes a tumble and the dickhead with the whistle blows up. There was also the Salah one in the first half when the left back jumped a mile in the air after Mo put his foot on the ball and scammed a free out when Salah was about to make a run in the box.

That's not to mention the constant time wasting and faking of injuries; Correa sprinting on after the ref halted an attack of ours to facilitate his playacting was particular lowlight.

If we get a strong and competent ref in the second leg, we will crush them as they will have no outlet and won't be able to break up our rhythm as easily. The ball boys will be put on high alert as well I'm sure.

A 1-0 defeat in which we didn't play to our potential while being frustrated by the opposition's antics and weak refereeing might well tee the team, manager and those fans lucky enough to attend the Anfield game much better than an uneventful 0-0 draw. The atmosphere will be phenomenal.

Also, I didn't even think Atletico were that bad in terms of gamesmanship by their standards last night, which tells its own story about them.

Still fuming this morning. What an awful, awful team Atletico are. And I would say that even if they were playing our worst enemy (whoever that is these days). Horrible fucking football, unbecoming of a famous club that is playing at home to a wild crowd and having spent a fucking fortune on players. All those fans of our rivals dreaming of having that twat Simeone as their manager need to have their heads examined. Atletico truly are made in his image, a shithouse snide player personified in the team he now manages. 

Having said that, we were poor, especially our forwards. There is no way we will be this bad at Anfield and Atletico will resort to the same shite tactics. We will overwhelm them in the 2nd leg.

We lost through a combination of factors. The ref and their shithousery were two of them.  But the biggest factor was too many of our players being way below par. 

Shit happens but at least we have a second leg to put it right. 

• Upvote 2

Im not particularly bothered by Atletico's shithousery. Are we seriously saying we didnt expect it and they're the only side capable of playing like that? After all, it's not like they kicked shit out of our players so in my opinion, we should have been ready for it.

Take Sadio for example. OK they targetted him once he got booked. So what does Sadio do shortly after? He goes all arms in a challenge again. Of course Atletico are going to go ale house and make the most and try and get him a second card. Inevitably, Jurgen saw that Sadio was going to continue so decided to hook him before he got sent off. Net result, Atletico got what they wanted and we lost Sadio for the second half.

It might be a bit harsh to criticise Sadio here but if you dont fall into the shithouse trap, you arent rendered ineffective.

As mentioned last night, I thought few players came out of it with any credit and too many had substandard performances. In some respects, the performance was every bit as bad as at Norwich. The defence, midfield and attack all seemed disjointed and on different wavelengths.

The standards the boys have set this season have been extremely high and anything that slips below that is probably amplified more than it should. I dont think Ive ever seen so many balls bounce yards off Mo. Bobby looked to be running in treacle at times.

It's inevitable we're going to have a dip in form at some time and Im not too sure, the winter 'break' is the reason for 2 poor performances. We've had international breaks and they havent affected us this season.

I think the return will be tougher than many seem to think. Atletico will be quite used to playing in a raucous stadium and if we get shit house officials, they'll get away with most of their tricks. And we need to win by 2 clear goals although that in itself, isnt a mamouth task at home.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Im not particularly bothered by Atletico's shithousery. Are we seriously saying we didnt expect it and they're the only side capable of playing like that? After all, it's not like they kicked shit out of our players so in my opinion, we should have been ready for it.

Take Sadio for example. OK they targetted him once he got booked. So what does Sadio do shortly after? He goes all arms in a challenge again. Of course Atletico are going to go ale house and make the most and try and get him a second card. Inevitably, Jurgen saw that Sadio was going to continue so decided to hook him before he got sent off. Net result, Atletico got what they wanted and we lost Sadio for the second half.

It might be a bit harsh to criticise Sadio here but if you dont fall into the shithouse trap, you arent rendered ineffective.

As mentioned last night, I thought few players came out of it with any credit and too many had substandard performances. In some respects, the performance was every bit as bad as at Norwich. The defence, midfield and attack all seemed disjointed and on different wavelengths.

The standards the boys have set this season have been extremely high and anything that slips below that is probably amplified more than it should. I dont think Ive ever seen so many balls bounce yards off Mo. Bobby looked to be running in treacle at times.

It's inevitable we're going to have a dip in form at some time and Im not too sure, the winter 'break' is the reason for 2 poor performances. We've had international breaks and they havent affected us this season.

I think the return will be tougher than many seem to think. Atletico will be quite used to playing in a raucous stadium and if we get shit house officials, they'll get away with most of their tricks. And we need to win by 2 clear goals although that in itself, isnt a mamouth task at home.

I think it’s more about the fans boosting our players to be honest. They play in a raucous stadium regularly but those fans are with them, at Anfield this clearly won’t be the case and at least their fans won’t have an effect on the ref.