You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atletico Madrid (A) Champions League 18/2/20. 20:00

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

We've got Bournemouth at home, deffo play a fringe team in that. Atletico will have to go strong as they are in a battle to hold onto a CL spot. 

I can’t go along with that. The Chelsea FA Cup game will, quite rightly, see a few rested, but I don’t want to see a fringe team in the league until it’s mathematically won and even then, I’d like to think it will be rotation rather than shadow sides. Playing on the Saturday and Wednesday shouldn’t be a problem.

That couldn't have gone any more perfectly for Simeone. There was so much that pissed me off in that match.

Starting with Macca on co-commentary. You could play a drinking game where you down a shot every time he responds with "Oh yeah" to everything Darren Fletcher says. You'd be pissed within the first 5 minutes, and you'd be dead if you actually downed a shot each time he says it during a match. "Atletico are doing what they do best Macca." "Oh yeah." "Simeone's rousing the fans again Macca." "Oh yeah." "Liverpool are struggling to create anything here Macca." "Oh yeah." "You bum dogs on the 1st of every month Macca." "Oh yeah." Change the bloody record man!

Atletico got a goal after a fortuitous deflection fell to Saul. It shouldn't have been a corner as it came from a throw in awarded to Atletico when the ball clearly went out of play off Morata. This wasn't like the Aurier/Mane thing at Spurs a few weeks ago. Even in the first couple of minutes, Atletico stole about 15 yards from a throw in down their right. The ball had gone out of play halfway inside their half, yet the throw was taken from around halfway. Shite officiating.

But then shite officiating was a recurring theme in this one. I think its the reason Sadio was subbed at half time because he was in danger of getting sent off. The ref gave a foul against Mo for fuck all. Correia and Morata were hitting the deck every time. Vrsalkjo the right back fell clutching his face every time there was any sort of contact, yet got away with fouling Sadio in the box. Even Bobby and Ox - two of our more mild-mannered players - were doing their nut in the second half when the ref saw in Atletico's favour yet again. One obvious handball was missed, and then when Atletico broke, Costa hit the deck like he'd been shot when Fab won the ball.

Klopp had every right to be furious about what was going on, and yet he's the one who ended up getting booked. Dickhead referee of the type we often see in Europe, who falls for all the theatrics and fails to notice how one-sided all of that is.

As for our performance, that early setback played right into Atletico's hands. For all our possession, we never created a clear-cut chance and never tested Oblak. Our only efforts on target were Mo's disallowed goal and then his effort which was blocked for a corner.

I can't think of much else to write because all I can think of is how the officials were awful and contributed to the game going exactly the way Simeone and Atletico like it.

We are fully capable of getting through to the next round, but it will need more attacking thrust and creativity from us, as well as officials who can rise above the shithousery of Atletico instead of letting them keep breaking the game up with their antics.

• Upvote 1

Truly one of the most despicable teams I've seen us play for a long, long time. Absolute shithouses. How the fuck can the home fans enjoy watching this shite? Having said that, we played really poorly here. They did nothing but defend and had no interest in attacking yet we never seriously troubled them.

The Anfield game will be a grind too.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I can’t go along with that. The Chelsea FA Cup game will, quite rightly, see a few rested, but I don’t want to see a fringe team in the league until it’s mathematically won and even then, I’d like to think it will be rotation rather than shadow sides. Playing on the Saturday and Wednesday shouldn’t be a problem.

Behave you fanny. 

This is the night we were getting nothing. That was partly due to our poor play, the oppos shithouse tactics plus being aided and abetted by an utterly inept ref and linos. But still, we've been very, very poor. I think that was poorer than the performance at Napoli or at the very least, on a par. The only players to come out of that with any credit are Alisson and Gomez. Perhaps Robbo to although he didnt really pose a big threat in their half.

Not sure if Jurgen took Sadio off over fitness issue or to prevent a sending off with this ref. But he too was like the rest of his teammates and very wasteful with the ball during the first half.

I think the call to take Mo off was the right one, just, although to be fair, it could have been Bobby or any other player. The ball was bouncing yards off Mo, Bobby was getting pushed off the ball too easily.

Divock wasnt any better when he came on to be honest. I know players have to be confident with the ball by why does everyone want that extra touch all the time? And Div is best played through the middle and just told to lace the ball, no fancy stuff. In my opinion.

Hendo was desparately unlucky with that header. Gini and Fab continually gave the ball away with Gini in particular slowing down the fucking play every time. After he came on, Ox quickly got into the habit of giving the ball away like the rest of his teammates. And with Milner on for Hendo there was no opportunity to get Keita on. But the question is, would he have made a difference tonight? Im not sure.

Probably the biggest joke of the night was the ref playing on for that late handball, no advantage to Liverpool, giving them a foul for nothing and booking Klopp after all simone's antics all night. Bizarre.

Hopefully there's a stronger ref at Anfield because if you thought atletico's antics tonight were bad, you aint seen nothing yet. We've got to be really careful in the second leg because if we conceed one, we'll be in real trouble. We'll need to be on our game and far more clinical in front of goal.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

This. We've had our winter break now so need to build up a rhythm again

I thought we rushed our final ball, probably due to them playing so aggressively and having so many back. 

Worse possible start against a team like that.

Absolute joke of a ref, every decision went for them. He sees them fall over but not our players fouled. Their defenders were all over our attackers, just a shame none of ours rolled everytime.  It is hard enough playing against teams like that but aided and abetted by the ref is not possible. 

The commentators were disgraceful as well. Oh look Costa is going to come on and kick people and roll about. Oh look Costa is cheating just like we said, isn't he great. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Baltar said:

Truly one of the most despicable teams I've seen us play for a long, long time. Absolute shithouses. How the fuck can the home fans enjoy watching this shite? Having said that, we played really poorly here. They did nothing but defend and had no interest in attacking yet we never seriously troubled them.

The Anfield game will be a grind too.

Their fans love it, mainly because they see it as a way of troubling the two major clubs who have bought title after title, each to their own and all that. If you have strong officials then that shit doesn't happen for a whole 90 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I thought we rushed our final ball, probably due to them playing so aggressively and having so many back. 

Worse possible start against a team like that.

Absolute joke of a ref, every decision went for them. He sees them fall over but not our players fouled. Their defenders were all over our attackers, just a shame none of ours rolled everytime.  It is hard enough playing against teams like that but aided and abetted by the ref is not possible. 

The commentators were disgraceful as well. Oh look Costa is going to come on and kick people and roll about. Oh look Costa is cheating just like we said, isn't he great. 

Macca was a twat when he left and is still a twat now. Fucking Tory cunt.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Behave you fanny. 

Nah. Why would we put out a shadow side for Bournemouth? We want some sort of rhythm and consistency, not to do what Barcelona did last season and rest everyone before the second leg. We'll have put out a comparatively fringe side in the FA Cup; I don’t think a 10 day break between Watford and Athletico would be necessary or helpful.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

This. We've had our winter break now so need to build up a rhythm again

Fanny...nah mate, I said fringe team as one that would have enough for Bournemouth. We could rest 4 or 5 players in certain areas and still biff Bournemouth at home. Rest Mane, Bobby or Salah, rest Henderson (although that might be forced) rest Robbo or TAA, rest Wij. 

I thought this would be very similar to that shithouse team we played in the world club cup final only on steroids. Masters of the shithousing. Would have been 0-0 though other than the sloppy goal.

Also think they're the worst possible opponent we could face, absolutely built to defend us. Nooone else remotely worries me. That said though, there's a second leg to play and if we harness the anger they'll go down next game.

Theyre basically Sam Allardyces wet dream

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

Nah. Why would we put out a shadow side for Bournemouth? We want some sort of rhythm and consistency, not do what Barcelona did and rest everyone before the second leg. We'll have put out a comparatively fringe side in the FA Cup, we don’t want or need a 10 day break between Watford and Athletico.

I never said shadow side. Fringe as in first team squad players being rotated in. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

Fanny...nah mate, I said fringe team as one that would have enough for Bournemouth. We could rest 4 or 5 players in certain areas and still biff Bournemouth at home. Rest Mane, Bobby or Salah, rest Henderson (although that might be forced) rest Robbo or TAA, rest Wij. 

Ha! Fair enough mate.