You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: I feel for Pep and his players after Champions League ban

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has sent his best wishes to Pep Guardiola and his squad in the aftermath of Man City being banned from European club competition for the next two seasons due to reported serious breaches of financial fair play regulations.

While the two teams are fierce combatants on the pitch, Klopp and Guardiola have a clear respect for each other after locking horns both in Germany and now in the Premier League.

Speaking after the Reds’ latest league victory over Norwich, Klopp paid tribute to the work that Guardiola had done.

The Echo reported Klopp as saying:

“To be honest, I feel for Pep and the players.

“They did for sure nothing wrong, they just played football and sensational football.

“Wherever Pep has been, he has helped each league to improve their football.

Klopp admitted he was in shock when the ruling was announced.

“It was a shock when I saw it, somebody sent me the headline.

“I have no idea how these kind of things work, but what I can say as a football coach is Man City under Pep Guardiola since I’ve been here play sensational football.

image.png

"I’ve always admired what they do and what he is doing. That will not end with this moment.

However Klopp says whatever took place, rules have to be adhered to.

“We all have to respect rules. 

“I have no idea if they (City) did or not, but UEFA sees it like they didn’t. 

“I can imagine it is really hard at the moment for the sports people (at City).

“Now they have to deal with it.

“You trust your people, they tell you it’s all fine, and then obviously UEFA see that slightly differently. 

“I imagine City will appeal and I imagine more things will come out because much more information will come out.”

View full article