You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

L'pool '20 v Utd '99

Guest Alex_K

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That 2009 team - the best ever! - won the league by 4 points from Liverpool. We had some good players in that team, but a load of dross too. 

That I've seen. Just my opinion. Not just about the points, it's about how good that squad was. We will surpass them this season.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That I've seen. Just my opinion.

Fair enough, I’ve you’ve only been watching since 2008 (thanks for making me feel like an old bag of shite) then it’s absolutely fair. Something I will say is that you can only really judge a team against the era they play in and the trophies they win. Put this team into time machine back to the 1980 league and they win 10 leagues on the bounce without losing a game just because how fit they are and their professionalism and our tactics are miles beyond. We might concede a goal in some of those seasons. What that 1999 team did, and you can point to pivotal moments in any win (2005 for example), but if you win a treble then you go down as an incredible team on merit. They won it. Until we do, even if we would smash them to bits in a game, it’s not as good over a season as that team. Not if the objective is to win trophies anyway. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fair enough, I’ve you’ve only been watching since 2008 (thanks for making me feel like an old bag of shite) then it’s absolutely fair. Something I will say is that you can only really judge a team against the era they play in and the trophies they win. Put this team into time machine back to the 1980 league and they win 10 leagues on the bounce without losing a game just because how fit they are and their professionalism and our tactics are miles beyond. We might concede a goal in some of those seasons. What that 1999 team did, and you can point to pivotal moments in any win (2005 for example), but if you win a treble then you go down as an incredible team on merit. They won it. Until we do, even if we would smash them to bits in a game, it’s not as good over a season as that team. Not if the objective is to win trophies anyway. 

Pace goals don't count. 

6 hours ago, Baltar said:

That United side in '99 were jammy as fuck. If Bergkamp didn't miss the penalty they wouldn't have won the FA Cup. If Bayern didn't implode in the final that they totally dominated for 90 mins and let in two goals from fucking corners in injury time, United wouldn't have won the CL. They probably deserved the league title but they only won that by the skin of their teeth. Our current side would smash them to bits. 

This is where I’m at. There are very good sides - and there are great sides. Great sides are those that win back to back (even to back) Champions League. We’re talking classic Barca, Milan, Ajax, Madrid. That was a “one-off” season for United: it was the only season that generation made a final and as you mention they had an inordinate amount of luck. All sides get some luck of course (even the great 00s Barca needed Iniesta to save them at Chelsea) but that United season so closely swung to 0. The way we’ve dominated — and I mean 18-24 months here, not just this season as this season is just a continuation of last — doesn’t stand comparison with that United team. Stam, Scholes, Keane, Schmeichel .. beyond that it’s difficult.

13 hours ago, Baltar said:

That United side in '99 were jammy as fuck. If Bergkamp didn't miss the penalty they wouldn't have won the FA Cup. If Bayern didn't implode in the final that they totally dominated for 90 mins and let in two goals from fucking corners in injury time, United wouldn't have won the CL. They probably deserved the league title but they only won that by the skin of their teeth. Our current side would smash them to bits. 

#taintedtreble

7 hours ago, skaro said:

At the moment, '99 are three trophies to nil up.

Hopefully, we'll pull that back to 3-3 by the end of the season.

Then I'd say we win comfortably on points.

We'll win by TKO with the World Club Cup in hand if we win the three other competitions.

Who would win between a team made up of the player's WAGs or our current XI that had Jordan Pickfords arms copied 11 times using stem cells or something and them replacing our players legs? You have to account for Pickford's muscle memory and that its being played in a pitch made of 200,000 jaffa cakes.

• Upvote 1

The Man City side of 100 points was the best team ever in the Premier League. Bar raised to ridiculous, unprecedented levels. Now I think our team of this season is.

Difficult to compare across eras but our team now would wipe the floor with a team from the 90's.

If you transported those same players into a time capsule, popped them into our era with modern training and technology, it might be a different story. 

Most wingers 20 years ago would be full backs at best, now. The skill level of young players coming through is insanely high, and probably influenced by the rise of 3g pitches, YouTube and learning skills online from Ronaldinho etc, and just better science to coaching

What kind of shite is this?

This Liverpool team pisses all over that manc team from 99. They were pretty shite if Im honest.

Totally outplayed in that CL final, should have lost with 3 or 4 goals, got lucky in the end because Bayern M thought they had won it after the first half, thats how poor that Utd team was.

This is how they did performe in the league, 50 points after 25 games, and 79 points after 38 games. 

We will have 79 points by the end of February.

72435E5D-1A81-4A93-B73B-59B26E6D661B.jpeg

823C7A85-DA28-4115-81EA-731A400E3745.jpeg

39EE1BBB-54E7-4825-9C28-6059F846AEA4.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Code said:

What kind of shite is this?

This Liverpool team pisses all over that manc team from 99. They were pretty shite if Im honest.

Totally outplayed in that CL final, should have lost with 3 or 4 goals, got lucky in the end because Bayern M thought they had won it after the first half, thats how poor that Utd team was.

This is how they did performe in the league, 50 points after 25 games, and 79 points after 38 games. 

We will have 79 points by the end of February.

72435E5D-1A81-4A93-B73B-59B26E6D661B.jpeg

823C7A85-DA28-4115-81EA-731A400E3745.jpeg

39EE1BBB-54E7-4825-9C28-6059F846AEA4.jpeg

You could nitpick how poor our teams in the 70's and 80's were too. We won a treble in 1984 and won the league with 80 points in a 42 game season. You can only beat what's in front of you. They did and we did. 

• Downvote 1