You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

L'pool '20 v Utd '99

Guest Alex_K

Sky have opened the floor to debate how a combined side from our European Cup winning team & Utd's 99 would look. McClaren, as the featured pundit, naturally considers we'd only have 1 entry -- Van Dijk.

It is however an interesting question. Generally we still seem to be very under-rated, while Utd's 99 team has always been considered god-gifts despite them living by the skin of their teeth throughout that campaign (Matthäus          & Basler don't come off in that game and there's almost certainly no European Cup for Utd.; won the title by 1 measly point over Arsenal and only 4 points over Chelsea in 3rd). Our side -- objectively -- has been far far more dominant.

So who do you take? Sky's side for the record: Schmeichel, Trent, Van Dijk, Stam, Robertson, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Keane, Salah, Mane

What is the point of these debates, almost no-one can pick with complete impartiality and ensure they are even using the same critieria. People looking at that Manc team will remember the career of the players involved rather than their standing and form at that time, it's a different era with different priorities, tactics, formations, fitness levels and pressures. I'm off to the breakfast thread...

• Upvote 2

United's 99 side would be beaten by sheffield these days. It's like special effects, adverts these days have better effects than films of 20 years ago. I don't even want to imagine they have the same intensity to even things up because like ljinders said intensity is our identity so United can fuck off. Mostly because they are cunts and smell of piss or something.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Honestly can't remember who played for them in 99.  All I can confidently name are Sheringham, Solskjaer and Giggs - probably Schmeichel, too.

Schmeichel is the only one who gets a look in. The other three can be dismissed out of hand.

Cole and Yorke up front were superb in fairness. 

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Their 2009 side would batter their 1999 side. We'd twat both them. 

The team they had in 2009 is the best team I've seen in the Premier League. More balanced than City of the past few years and with Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov up front. That's the team to be compared to, not a side that had 79 points.

I don't think you can pick a best XI because the Mancs were geared towards 4-4-2 whereas we are set up as a 4-3-3. Pick their midfield 4 and you can't pick our front 3, and vice versa. Both units have proved to be the most effective units in their part of the field, so breaking them up to shoehorn a player in will make them less effective.

That United side in '99 were jammy as fuck. If Bergkamp didn't miss the penalty they wouldn't have won the FA Cup. If Bayern didn't implode in the final that they totally dominated for 90 mins and let in two goals from fucking corners in injury time, United wouldn't have won the CL. They probably deserved the league title but they only won that by the skin of their teeth. Our current side would smash them to bits. 

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The team they had in 2009 is the best team I've seen in the Premier League. More balanced than City of the past few years and with Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov up front. That's the team to be compared to, not a side that had 79 points.

THE best, or THEIR best? It was a very good team but hardly the best ever in the Premiership.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Our team this season is the best side I've seen in the premier league. Up there with Barca of a few years back and almost the Milan side of the early 90's if we can keep it up for a few more years. 

7 minutes ago, Baltar said:

THE best, or THEIR best? It was a very good team but hardly the best ever in the Premiership.

The best, keeping in mind I've only been watching footy closely since about 2008. It's close between that side, City two years ago and us this year, although we'll surpass them if we keep up our form. Chelsea under Carlo very good too.