You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coutinho: I am so happy for Liverpool

TLW

Philippe Coutinho has spoken publicly about his joy in seeing the progress of his former club.

The Brazilian star is currently on loan at Bayern Munich looking to kickstart his career after a difficult spell at Barcelona who he joined for £142 million in January 2018.

In truth he struggled with the expectation that comes along with such a hefty price tag, and was frequently a target of fans for his below par performances.

The 27 year-old who spent five impressive years at the Reds has been linked a number of times for a return to English Football.

While that has not come to fruition, it doesn’t mean that he isn’t keeping a close eye on his old teammates and is very happy to see their progression as they look to claim a long awaited Premier League triumph.

image.png

The Mirror (via Sports Illustrated) reported Coutinho as saying:

“Liverpool is flying, and it doesn’t surprise me.

“We’ve seen it already last year when they won the Champions League, but I’m also not surprised because of their fantastic squad and manager.

"I am so happy for them, because I have so many friends there, former team-mates, so I’m just so happy for them, but that’s all.”

Coutinho has scored seven goals and contributed eight assists for the German giants in all competitions this season.

And while not at his scintillating best which made him adored at the Reds during his 201 appearances, it seems that he has regained some of his confidence and a smile has returned to his face

Coutinho has reportedly told his parent club that he does not want to return and is more than happy staying at Bayern.

“I don’t look back. I took another path, and now I am on another journey, much like everyone else.

'I’m focused entirely – just like them – on reaching my dreams. I’m happy with what I did in the past, and now I can only look forward.”

View full article

1 hour ago, jonnyp said:

Please, Please come and get me.

I think he's genuinely happy for his former teammates and manager that they are winning more matches without him than they did with him, but that's all.

But that's all? Who is he trying to kid?

9 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think he's genuinely happy for his former teammates and manager that they are winning more matches without him than they did with him, but that's all.

In the actual Mirror article, the two sets of quotes from him run on together, which makes more sense-

“Liverpool is flying, and it doesn’t surprise me.

“We’ve seen it already last year when they won the Champions League, but I’m also not surprised because of their fantastic squad and manager.

"I am so happy for them, because I have so many friends there, former team-mates, so I’m just so happy for them, but that’s all.

“I don’t look back. I took another path, and now I am on another journey, much like everyone else.

'I’m focused entirely – just like them – on reaching my dreams. I’m happy with what I did in the past, and now I can only look forward.”

They conveniently leave out the actual (no doubt leading) question asked, which presumably was something along the lines of would he like to come back now Liverpool are doing so well. Meeja.

3 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Never would have got the world's best centre back without his sale, so alls good that ends well. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Never would have got the world's best centre back without his sale, so alls good that ends well. 

Probably, yeah. Though I'd call Van Dijk the world's best footballer.

Barcelona fans were a right bunch of dicks to Coutinho from early in his time there. Spoilt, privileged brats.

Given that we bought Fabinho and Alisson since, I reckon he'd give his right arm to be back here. Of course, the trophies we're winning would be a factor too.

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

I think we signed van Dijk before selling Coutinho, I wonder if the plan was to sign him regardless of selling?

28 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think we signed van Dijk before selling Coutinho, I wonder if the plan was to sign him regardless of selling?

A day or two before and one glance at the way we've operated under these owners tell you, no sale, no record broke for a centre back. 

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Given the way FSG dug in over Coutinho with the chance of Barcelona walking away I think that's true. Klopp was determined to get VVD and had resisted asking for anyone else, so I think we would have got him without any outgoings in the pipeline.

Even if all supporters, klopp, and the players wanted him back it just doesn't make any kind of financial sense. His "reduced" fee of around £70/80m for a 28yr old player for the squad rather than the team, with zero sell on value is throwing money away. There are some great young players out there at the moment, so linking another with the age of our front 3 doesn't provide us with any thing in the current or long term.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Horus said:

Even if all supporters, klopp, and the players wanted him back it just doesn't make any kind of financial sense. His "reduced" fee of around £70/80m for a 28yr old player for the squad rather than the team, with zero sell on value is throwing money away. There are some great young players out there at the moment, so linking another with the age of our front 3 doesn't provide us with any thing in the current or long term.

It's not just the financial that makes no sense for us. He's also been found out as a luxury player in the past few years. Hard to fit into a top side and keep a balance. Barca and Bayern don't want him and can't consistently fit him into their teams in a coherent manner. There would be no sporting reason for us to re-sign him either.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not just the financial that makes no sense for us. He's also been found out as a luxury player in the past few years. Hard to fit into a top side and keep a balance. Barca and Bayern don't want him and can't consistently fit him into their teams in a coherent manner. There would be no sporting reason for us to re-sign him either.

Agree, depending on how broad your definition of a top side is. 

He’d struggle to be more than a squad player for us, Real, Barca, City or PSG, and he’s not pulling up any trees at Bayern. The sides below that level I think he’d largely be a key player, depending on the managers and the rest of their personnel. Chelsea and Man Utd he could be the star man, but I don’t think he’s a Mourinho player and Arsenal are ridiculously top heavy with attackers already. Equally, just about anyone in Italy would be delighted to have him. 

6 minutes ago, rotoq said:

Where does he generally play for Barca/Bayern? Wide forward? AM? CM? On the face of it 8 goals and 8 assists doesnt seem bad from AM. Not even bad for WF.

From what I've seen, either on the left or as a #10. It's not all about the goals and assists, though. He's generally frustrating, gives the ball away, been invisible against the best opposition. It would be fine if they could buy him for 40m, but his massive fee distorts his perception and when a creative player like him doesn't play well, it's very apparent.

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was pretty good for us to be fair. He doesn't get us that fee if he was a luxury player here, but that also semi-agrees with what you're saying; he carried us through a lot of cap as the main man but a reduced role as part of a great team perhaps doesn't suit him. 

His quality when we had the ball was irrefutable.  When we didn't have the ball though he wasn't anywhere near as effective as a Klopp midfielder needs to be, and he doesn't seem to have improved on that aspect.

Great player to have when you're on top and can muller the opposition, less so when the opposition have a sustained go back at us.  That's where guys like Henderson and Gini are worth their weight in gold.  Like a sheet of red blotting paper at times, they just seem to absorb opposition attacks.