You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Enough is Enough, It's Time to Welcome Michael Owen Home - by Chris Smith

tlw content

1 hour ago, Oscar_the_Grouch said:

Souness is the guest I would most like to listen to on Carra’s podcast.

The difference between Souness and Owen is that, whilst what Souness did was far worse, he completely owns it and, since leaving the club, has repeatedly apologised with no excuses.

Nice of you to stop by, Graeme. 

• dave u unpinned this topic

Great player but he made his choices. He was never going to start regularly for Madrid, they bought him to sell him again knowing full well they'd make a profit as he and his agent fucked the club over for the fee. He couldn't even do it early to give us time to get a replacement through the door. 

I don't hate him, but then I don't hate Torres, Suarez etc. But he made his choices. He could have tried to force his way back but was more concerned at his England place. 

I don't believe much of that interview either. The later part he opened up but the first part was guarded and just sounded like a set interview to swing the story his way. And a few things he said just sounded excuse making shite. 

Its a short career and he has every right to do as he wants but don't expect the fans to think of you as they do Robbie Fowler. The only player leaving that broke my heart was Robbie going to Leeds I sat up that night hoping it would fall through even if with hindsight it was the right decision for everyone 

On 11/02/2020 at 09:49, Chris said:

Nah, it's time people for their heads out of the sand on that front. He did it. He was found guilty of doing it. Evra didn't handle it greatly, but as a society we've kinda moved past people telling minorities who feel they've been abused that the particular word, or the expression "my little black friend" isn't racist or wasn't meant in a certain context. 

How some people can continue to support him is beyond me. 

He was found guilty by the same FA that said 'we believe Wayne Hennessey didn't know about Nazis' when pictured giving the salute behind a German teammate

Only one person's knows the context but fuck hanging someone out to dry on the FA finding them guilty

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Oscar_the_Grouch said:

The difference between Souness and Owen is that, whilst what Souness did was far worse, he completely owns it and, since leaving the club, has repeatedly apologised with no excuses.

I think that’s a stretch.  When he spoke about it a few years ago for the first time he initially said he was sorry about doing the interview with the s*n at that time not that he shouldn’t have done it at all.  I wouldn’t say that was him owning anything really.  He was eventually on MNF with Carragher and spoke at great length about how much he loves the club etc and was sorry for doing it but it was very vague again.

• Upvote 1

People saying Owen was a "great player" for us. Nah, not having it. He was a very good player for us but falls way short of greatness.

Kenny was great. Rushy was great. Ray Kennedy was great. Barnsey, Souness, Stevie were all great and many other players were far superior to Owen.

His penalty record alone screams "numpty".

He's a fat, round, stumpy cunt who stinks of piss.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

People saying Owen was a "great player" for us. Nah, not having it. He was a very good player for us but falls way short of greatness.

Kenny was great. Rushy was great. Ray Kennedy was great. Barnsey, Souness, Stevie were all great and many other players were far superior to Owen.

He was a superb player for us but his 'greatness' was short lived due to injury and his own desire to get out of the club and put England on at least a par with his club career. If he didn't care so much about England (wasn't he born in Wales,or almost?) he might have had fewer injuries and had a longer and more injury free career. He made decisions that he can't take back and cannot rewrite just to please himself. He is a wealthy man so he can comfort himself with that and his racehorses. Still a very good life for anybody.

37 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I think that’s a stretch.  When he spoke about it a few years ago for the first time he initially said he was sorry about doing the interview with the s*n at that time not that he shouldn’t have done it at all.  I wouldn’t say that was him owning anything really.  He was eventually on MNF with Carragher and spoke at great length about how much he loves the club etc and was sorry for doing it but it was very vague again.

That is thing that always pisses me off, goes on about the timing of the article, completely/conveniently missing the point of having anything whatsoever to do with that rag. 

Apologising for the date is not an apology.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I wouldnt have that. 

Between 17-21 he was superb for us in a relatively shite team. Full of wannabes, and loads not good enough to wear the shirt. He could have been part of older and sides later that have been good and slotted in. He was the sole goalscorer through much of his time. 

He fucked up his reputation and not just with us either. 

Its was simply 

I support England's Michael Owen FC through most of his career. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Oscar_the_Grouch said:

'Far worse'? You're surely not comparing Owen leaving the club (as Gerrard almost did twice) to Souness conducting an interview with that newspaper in 1992?

44 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I wouldnt have that. 

Between 17-21 he was superb for us in a relatively shite team. Full of wannabes, and loads not good enough to wear the shirt. He could have been part of older and sides later that have been good and slotted in. He was the sole goalscorer through much of his time. 

He fucked up his reputation and not just with us either. 

Its was simply 

I support England's Michael Owen FC through most of his career. 

An important point, I think. Subjectively the way he treated his whole time at Newcastle as if it were beneath him was hilarious, but objectively it was disgraceful. At the very least it makes it harder to give him the benefit of the doubt.

5 hours ago, El Rojo said:

'Far worse'? You're surely not comparing Owen leaving the club (as Gerrard almost did twice) to Souness conducting an interview with that newspaper in 1992?

All players leave the club eventually. The problem with Owen wasn't that he left the club. The problem is that he deliberately ran down his contract whilst leading Moores and Parry on that he was going to re-sign, finally leaving for a fraction of his worth about two weeks before the transfer deadline. Then he went and signed for Man Utd. 

The problem with Souness wasn't - at the time - so much that he did the interview with the S*n. I might be misremembering, so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but no-one was really bothered when the interview was published. The problem was that about a week later, he staged a photo for them of him kissing his new wife in hospital and they published it on 15th April. Literally the third anniversary of Hillsborough with parents, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters still grieving and he's posing on the front page of that rag with some headline about how amazingly happy he is. 

So I'm not really comparing what they did except to say what Souness did was far worse. I'm comparing their reactions since. Souness has pretty consistently apologised, expressed remorse, said it's the worst thing he's ever done, and taken full responsibility for his actions. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched Neville's Soccerbox episode which featured Michael Owen.

Here are his quotes towards the end of the episode when Neville asked him about his controversial move to Utd-

"The last thing I am going to do is apologise because I loved the 3 years I was at Man Utd. Very proud to have played for an unbelievably big team. I was still playing in the champions league for Man Utd in my thirties, so that's a cause for celebration in my mind".

That's the Michael Owen who should be welcomed home? Yes, I have some sympathy that he did try to get a move back to Liverpool from Madrid and things just didnt work out. But going to Man Utd and then coming out with quotes like the above is why it would be difficult to wipe the slate clean for him.